6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

DPF delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
kenn322
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just the Edge CTS monitor, Can it be upgraded to a tuner?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 PM
kenn322
Freshman User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I've read pretty much every post on this forum for over 3 years and there are some claims that are just stupid but most folks when they check the mileage after tuning get a 10 to 20% increase. Some of the 9s and 10s with the 3.31 axles might do better but not much. This motor just uses a lot of fuel compared to the 6L and the 7.3L even when deleted and with expanded exhaust and intake. That's pretty much all there is to it.

So I use a 3 step plan to combat the problem
1. Never ever look at the numbers on the pump, just look at the fuel spout.
2. never ever look at the reciept, just tear it off and hand to wifey or stuff in your pocket.
3. If anyone ask about fuel mileage just look down your nose at them and tell them if they have to worry about mileage they should look into a Ford ranger.

Works good for me.
Yeah I have to keep reminding myself that this is a heavy truck. Probably weighs 2500lbs more than my 3/4 ton Ram.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
You will learn that you get what you pay for in the long run. Transmission shifting and motor longevity come to mind.
I thank you for being willing to TEACH me all about trucks. I guess I will LEARN from you. But it's entirely possible that I have some knowledge of my own since I have been messing with cars and trucks since 1955. I believe that an increase of 35HP driven the way I drive (very conservative) will not do anything to the tranny. It is under no more pressure than it was with the motor stock. You are of course welcome to your opinion to the contrary. You are not welcome to address me like I am a moron. I resent that.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:26 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Depending on all of the off the shelf tuners out there (Edge,Banks, superchips, diablo sport, Ect) They go about the most simple way to get that little bit more out of the truck and then bam there onto the next truck or car and if you are lucky they might go back to it for a update. Here is the benefits to custom tuning they do care about the out come and weather it be for a heavy towing application like me or an all out race setup they are there to spend the time with getting perfection. Even tho you only add "35HP" the trans shifting stragity is staying the same as stock and for the loads you pull by looking at your picture it seems like you pull heavy and your trans life could benefit greatly from a little more line pressure to help cut down a little bit on the slippage between shifts because as we all know heat kills transmission and slippage causes heat. As far as getting a little bit more power out of it who knows how they did it? More timing or a longer pulse with on the injectors? I would much rather have some one who truly knows what there doing and cares about what there doing be doing it then a big off the shelf company trying to "*****" out there products to as many people as possible instead of more satisfied customers. Here is an example I just got my Innovative tunes for my 6.4 and there was some transmission shifting that wasn't right due to my built transmission, shot Erik @ Innovative an emil and a couple hours later I had a revised tune that was spot on. Sorry for coming on a little hard I need to remember when I am posting on FTE and not PSA

Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I thank you for being willing to TEACH me all about trucks. I guess I will LEARN from you. But it's entirely possible that I have some knowledge of my own since I have been messing with cars and trucks since 1955. I believe that an increase of 35HP driven the way I drive (very conservative) will not do anything to the tranny. It is under no more pressure than it was with the motor stock. You are of course welcome to your opinion to the contrary. You are not welcome to address me like I am a moron. I resent that.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Depending on all of the off the shelf tuners out there (Edge,Banks, superchips, diablo sport, Ect) They go about the most simple way to get that little bit more out of the truck and then bam there onto the next truck or car and if you are lucky they might go back to it for a update. Here is the benefits to custom tuning they do care about the out come and weather it be for a heavy towing application like me or an all out race setup they are there to spend the time with getting perfection. Even tho you only add "35HP" the trans shifting stragity is staying the same as stock and for the loads you pull by looking at your picture it seems like you pull heavy and your trans life could benefit greatly from a little more line pressure to help cut down a little bit on the slippage between shifts because as we all know heat kills transmission and slippage causes heat. As far as getting a little bit more power out of it who knows how they did it? More timing or a longer pulse with on the injectors? I would much rather have some one who truly knows what there doing and cares about what there doing be doing it then a big off the shelf company trying to "*****" out there products to as many people as possible instead of more satisfied customers. Here is an example I just got my Innovative tunes for my 6.4 and there was some transmission shifting that wasn't right due to my built transmission, shot Erik @ Innovative an emil and a couple hours later I had a revised tune that was spot on. Sorry for coming on a little hard I need to remember when I am posting on FTE and not PSA
OK then, we can agree on the heat and it's impact on the tranny. I monitor TFT at all times when towing heavy and have for a lot of years. This is not my first truck my first trailer nor my first diesel. I'm a simple guy, my common sense and a basic understanding of the truck tells me that the tune is not hurting the tranny. If I thought different I would do something about it. As to line pressure and shift points I'm gonna go with the Ford engineers until I have a reason not to.

Now the OP was seeking a low cost tuner. Neither, Spartan nor H&S meet that spec. Maybe I misunderstand the system but I believe those high dollar tuners are not much different from the others. They have canned tunes, and when you pay your money that's what you get. They just have more of them and they may include the tranny. If you want custome tunes you pay more, isn't that the way it works?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
2010F350
Senior User
Check some of the other forums I have seen a few used units. Try and find a H&S or sct.