Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Second Dyno Day for the "Pre-Stroke" Last years results AND This years results,Videos AND Dynosheets

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here he talks some more about his mods a lil more:

Ya, the turbo IDI block has a stronger bottom like stronger wrist pins. So the turbo block is strong enough for it down low. The compression ratio is already lower on a turbo block, so I figured my ratio was fine. Bradford's Engine rebuilt the engine and did the head work like modifying the pre-chambers a little, and the whole fire ring process as well as using studs to clamp the heads down tight. I already had an extra 99+ turbocharger from my '03 7.3 psd from when I opted for a better turbo on it, so there was the turbo charger, and before all that, the engine was already a turbo IDI so I already had the other parts for turbo setup...adapting the turbo to it was just basic fabrication.

So basically, most of the 1000 went into getting the turbo IDI block rebuilt, studded, and fireringed. The rest I either already had or had to fabricate. I guess over time it's cost me a lot more then 1000 to put it all together.

If you wanted to do something like this you'd have to find a custom engine builder that's willing to make it happen for you. I got lucky by having a diesel engine builder that knows idi's...

Old 06-07-2012, 01:33 AM
FordManMT
Senior User
Naw the guy down there's a different guy I got his number because he has some good injectors he may sell me.

His is a quad cab dually 2wd.

As far as how many flats mine is up...I don't know. I cranked on it till the skrew stripped put lol.

Turbine housing is not modified. Welded the flange off the stock dp to the psd dp.

Next mods I'm thinkin is installing my psd innercooler, different turbo, BB code injectors. Fasst fuel pump, I don't think my lift pump is moving enough fuel. My water in fuel light comes on at high rpm and at WOT.

Truck needs a clutch... Since mods it's slipping bad, and it's a new clutch.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by FordManMT
As far as how many flats mine is up...I don't know. I cranked on it till the skrew stripped put lol.
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle

One thing to remember, do not bottom the internal fuel screw out.
If you do, it might be OK, or it might schear off the IP drive shaft.
What makes the difference is how much injection pressure builds before the head lines up with an injection line port.

Not worth the risk since the IP core value will be nothing with a scheared drive shaft.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Naw the guy down there's a different guy I got his number because he has some good injectors he may sell me.

His is a quad cab dually 2wd.

Turbine housing is not modified. Welded the flange off the stock dp to the psd dp.

Next mods I'm thinkin is installing my psd innercooler, different turbo, BB code injectors. Fasst fuel pump, I don't think my lift pump is moving enough fuel. My water in fuel light comes on at high rpm and at WOT.

Truck needs a clutch... Since mods it's slipping bad, and it's a new clutch.
Are you saying you have Roatryboots number? Or the other guy who just dynoed? Either way get um on here to talk about their builds. I am interested to see both of their dyno sheets and what all they did to their engines a lil more in depth...

A turbo upgrade would be really good. What turbo are you thinkin of goin with?

As for you lift pump, have you thought about getting one that pushes a lil more pressure and regulating it down at all with an adjustable regulator? I would get a fuel pressure gauge and then at wide open fuel run you can adjust it to an optimum level if you are still starving on the top end. Also as far as injectors go, have you thought about upgrading to something more performance oriented than the BBs? With a turbo, you would be able to push more fuel without excessive egts. You could even go with a IP upgrade too down the line. Idk how much performance you are looking for but it is a good upgrade coupled with injectors since you are looking to upgrade your turbo anyway.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by southtexasidi
Nice numbers man, I have an ATS 093 on my truck. I need to upgrade the intake and max my pump out, Id love to see those numbers with my old truck. About how many flats is maxed out? Mines up 3 flats, how close am I too bottoming out the fuel screw? Just want to know before I do it
I think it depends on the pump.. when i did mine it didnt even go 3. I would assume it was bottomed, anymore oomph and im pretty sure my little allen head wasnt coming out in 1 piece.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I think it depends on the pump.. when i did mine it didnt even go 3. I would assume it was bottomed, anymore oomph and im pretty sure my little allen head wasnt coming out in 1 piece.

I got mine at about 5...didn't feel too tight, had to use Allen and pliers tho, for 1-5 no difference, feels like I could have gone more

Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
thanks for the input, I think mine will go more. At 3 flats, mine could have defently went more

Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM
johnboggs21
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle

One thing to remember, do not bottom the internal fuel screw out.
If you do, it might be OK, or it might schear off the IP drive shaft.
What makes the difference is how much injection pressure builds before the head lines up with an injection line port.

Not worth the risk since the IP core value will be nothing with a scheared drive shaft.

Is Dave S. still an active member here? I cant remember the last time I saw a post by him.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 AM
FordManMT
Senior User
I wouldn't mind doing a pump upgrade. I should have my half ton going soon so I may pull the Pre-Strokes engine, pull the heads off and stud it with new gaskets before I get to carried away.

Im watching racindrummonds 100cc pump thread waiting to see how it ends up.

If I pulled the engine I would build a all new exhaust and intake for her to be able to flow more air incase a high flow pump that's reliable comes along.

I just love idi's, they have the mechanical simplicity of a hammer

And I want to be one of the guys who can prove idi's are preformance capable engines

Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SO I am gonna tow the 83 up there with the 1990 Fordman...ima PM you my #

Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Good. The more people that can get power out of an Idi the better. I look forward to the progression of your build.