1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Average cost of paint job? what range have you paid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by schoo
stephen what is your spray like?
i'v painted some beaters and a little body work but a lead on what tools would help!
roy
I have a HVLP Spray Gun set from TCP Global. I think this is the set, been years since I bought it:
Item Detail

Paint Guns are like anything else and can get into the thousands, but if you're buying it for one project and not using it every day for the rest of your life, this set worked really well for me. The HVLP ones work a whole lot better in my experience.

Buy a good respirator too, you'll need one for just about everything you're doing, especially when you paint. The dust from filler is bad for you, the stuff from painting is very bad for you. All avoided with a good respirator and the correct filters. (TCP has all this stuff for sale and is easy to know what you need).

I use House of Kolor paint, it's a little more expensive but they have extremely beautiful colors and a whole lot of vibrancy to them. Pigment is what makes a color beautiful, lack of it is what makes it look cheap. Look into different brands, there are a lot of good ones out there, everyone's got their taste, HoK is just what I like best. You can buy their paints and primers from TCP as well.
Kustom Shop - Buy Warehouse Direct at Wholesale Pricing

There is a lot to know about doing a really good paint job, but none of it is difficult, best to learn a little at a time and not try to learn it all in one afternoon at the computer, lol. Basic rule of thought is: everything must be super clean that's getting paint on it. Remember that and it makes the other things easier like having to keep your floor super clean so their is no dust, how the air flows around the car not over it, how to ground the car so there is no static electricity, to wear clean clothing and latex gloves, to wash the car before painting with a cleaner that leaves nothing behind (they sell that stuff at TCP). All thoughts on that, just remember, "clean=good" and the rest follows suit, lol.

I'm not kidding though, it is so much fun to put the paint down. Best part of the build to me, equal if not better than a first drive. I would suggest not having to paint it all in one go though, I had to do that with my mustang because I used a candy paint and it had to be on the car to look right in the end, the flash time (time in which you're to put down the next layer to get proper chemical bond) was pretty much the exact same time it took me to go around the car once plus two minutes. So paint a layer, refill as fast as possible, then do the next layer. I had about 8 layers after the primer that had flash times, lol. What a rush.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
....The dust from filler is bad for you

I found out about 15 years ago that the bondo I used to slather all over rust buckets in my youth ('60's and early '70's) used asbestos as a filler...

Old 06-01-2012, 11:54 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I had never heard about Bondo containing asbestos...the engineer in me always asks "why". In this case, why would a body filler product contain asbestos? They have all used talc for as long as I can remember with a few using glass fibers for added strength. Asbestos has always been associated with heat/flame proofing...could it be that Bondo felt it necessary to make a heat resistant filler?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
all the painting i'v done is out of sight( practice)areas fenders ect.
if you have bear metal(that not getting painted soon) what do you use to cover primer? and what kind?
i'm not going to finish paint but would like to be involved in it.
roy

Old 06-02-2012, 09:49 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm painting mine satin black with rattle cans from Walmart!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This truck is my first attempt at body and paint work.

I picked up a gallon of single stage satin black at my local auto paint supplier for around $110, complete with the reducer and catalyst.

I figure for that I can redo it if I mess it up too badly.

As much as I would love to have a professional paint job, I don't have the extra cash and I want to make it my own as a driver, not a show truck.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
a gallon for 110 where at? that a good price!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Asbestos was used in an unbelievable number of products . It has some properties that make it the perfect filler , light weight ,non shrinking and inert , Oh yeah it was also cheap like dirt . They just missed the fact that it is a terrible carcinogen especially in conjunction with tobacco smoking .

Old 06-03-2012, 11:52 AM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schoo
a gallon for 110 where at? that a good price!
It is Valspar VIC low gloss sold by Tinbender's, which is a local auto paint and body supplier. He mixes it to a satin black finish, which while not very imaginative on my part, is the color/finish I want.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmerc
Asbestos was used in an unbelievable number of products . It has some properties that make it the perfect filler , light weight ,non shrinking and inert , Oh yeah it was also cheap like dirt . They just missed the fact that it is a terrible carcinogen especially in conjunction with tobacco smoking .
This is a true statement...however, there is no evidence that I have been able to find that links the use of asbestos in autobody fillers. Virtually every usage that I have found in commercial products was driven by the heat resistance and fireproofing properties...neither of which would make sense in a body filler application. That said, I did find some reference to asbestos being discovered in TALC...kinda back door way of getting asbestos into body filler. In 2000 they actually pulled some Crayola crayons off the market because they were made with talc. Further testing and review found that someone had misread a report regarding the asbestos levels and so the whole scare was deemed to have no basis.