6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DEF Tank Heater Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Justin Longacre
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DEF Tank Heater Replacement

OK, I have the the replacement DEF Tank Heater and plan to install on Saturday. 1AAuto.com has a great video on the how to remove and replace the part, but it doesn't quite go far enough.My question is this- is there any procedure(s) that I need to follow after I replace the Heater/pump assembly such as priming it? If so, how do I do that? Cycle the ignition a few times? I know not to get frustrated while doing this Removal/Replacement as if I break the DEF injector it will cost me more money- any feedback is greatly appreciated

Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 PM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
Received 134 Likes on 99 Posts
I was going to do mine after getting the P20BA error code. I wasn't aware of having to prime the DEF fluid tank. I watched the same video and one of the comments stated:

Excellent video. I am pretty old and got her done. A couple of suggestions. 1) Get a second set of hands for putting the tank back in as it’s a bit heavy if it has def in it. 2) Before re-install put a zip tie in place to use on the big white plug for use after you plug the two white connectors together. Reason being it’s a son of a gun to put it back on the factory clip(I probably don’t get how I was suppose to do it) so just zip it down. Take a good photo to make sure this cable/plug lays down just as it did from the factory. 3) put control head back on with widgets pointing the same way 4) If the filler next hose is kinky reach in after installed and twist it at the tank as the fitting just rotates on the nipple. 5) Better than a creeper is cardboard, put it down first because you are going to do some slithering. 6) I don’t know the code procedure but before starting the truck I added def, cleared codes, then started the truck. Seems ok now. Ford manuals need to be thicker but they aren’t, eg replace radiatior at 80k, replace def heater at 90k, replace front axle hub seal at xk....etc! But I love the truck anyway.
I decided to just go forward with the DPF delete and not worry about it anymore.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:45 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
No, you should not have to prime the DEF pump.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I know you bought the part already, but yours didn’t fall under the extended warranty?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Justin Longacre
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordboy2
I know you bought the part already, but yours didn’t fall under the extended warranty?
unfortunately, no it didn't. don't know why but it didn't

Old 11-01-2018, 04:18 PM
camperboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just did mine. No priming. Just swap it out, clear the code. All in all not too bad a job.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Justin Longacre
Junior User
Originally Posted by Justin Longacre
OK, I have the the replacement DEF Tank Heater and plan to install on Saturday. 1AAuto.com has a great video on the how to remove and replace the part, but it doesn't quite go far enough.My question is this- is there any procedure(s) that I need to follow after I replace the Heater/pump assembly such as priming it? If so, how do I do that? Cycle the ignition a few times? I know not to get frustrated while doing this Removal/Replacement as if I break the DEF injector it will cost me more money-
OK- Replaced the DEF Tank Heater. For anyone else attempting this procedure. First, let me say that when I approach something like this, Nothing goes as planned. What should have been a 2 hr job turned into a 4 hr job and true to form - 2 trips to the auto parts store. I referenced the 1AAuto video above. No where in that video did it say that I might have to jack up the rear of the truck to get the tank out when down(which I had to do). I don't have skid plates so I didn't have to remove those, but there is a skirt like object running the length of the DEF tank and Fuel tank, and there is no removing it with out a lot of hardware coming off, hence, I had to jack up the truck. I had the housing of one of the electrical connectors break, but epoxy from JB weld fixed it. The actual replacement took 15 minutes. Now, the electrical pig-tail that plugs into the injector line, came off easy enough, getting it back on, not so much.had to apply a lot of pressure to completely connect the two. I know this as when I put the tank up the first time, I got the codes for the pump and heater control circuits were open. Instead of dropping the tank right then and making sure it is connected, my dumb *** adds 2.5 gal of DEF to the tank(it was damned near empty, makes me wonder what else wasn't working correctly)thinking that would solve the issue-nope. It was the electronic pig tail to the injector line, had to drop the tank, and really squeeze the two together and then pull to ensure it was connected..after putting the tank up the second time, no codes and runs like a champ-beer thirty for me

Old 11-03-2018, 10:34 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
This helps explain the $378 in labor for this repair. The good news, it only cost you an evening since it wasn't covered.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:24 PM
ToddSch
4wd High
For anyone else reading this, I replaced my DEF heater Sunday night in my 2014 F-350 Platinum. For the most part everything went well. It was a little more difficult reaching the main connector and disconnecting it with one hand than anticipated. Similar to what Justin mentioned above, my truck did not have a skid plate as the A1 video showed, however I was able to remove only the back nut and the next 2 bolts holding the "skirt" to gain enough access to one of the DEF tank bolt. If I had to do it again i would empty the tank...at a minimum before the reinstall..it was a #%&$ to weasel that heavy SOB up there and get a bolt started before loosing feeling in my shoulders. Lastly my CEL did not clear right away...I ended up reading somewhere that it would take 3 cycles to reset so I did not take it in to have it cleared. This morning would have been the 4th run, and wal-lah, no CEL. Oh, and I did not need to raise the truck to remove the tank...maybe I have little bigger tires?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSch
For anyone else reading this, I replaced my DEF heater Sunday night in my 2014 F-350 Platinum. For the most part everything went well. It was a little more difficult reaching the main connector and disconnecting it with one hand than anticipated. Similar to what Justin mentioned above, my truck did not have a skid plate as the A1 video showed, however I was able to remove only the back nut and the next 2 bolts holding the "skirt" to gain enough access to one of the DEF tank bolt. If I had to do it again i would empty the tank...at a minimum before the reinstall..it was a #%&$ to weasel that heavy SOB up there and get a bolt started before loosing feeling in my shoulders. Lastly my CEL did not clear right away...I ended up reading somewhere that it would take 3 cycles to reset so I did not take it in to have it cleared. This morning would have been the 4th run, and wal-lah, no CEL. Oh, and I did not need to raise the truck to remove the tank...maybe I have little bigger tires?
Did you check to see if your truck is covered by the extended warranty for the DEF heater? If it is, you can get a refund for the amount of the replacement heater.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 AM
ToddSch
4wd High
Yes, I definitely checked with my local Ford dealership before I replaced it myself. From what I have read:
F-250 to F-550, 2011-2012 Built August 24 2009 - Oct 23 2012
F-450 & F-550 2013-2015 Built April 2012-December 9, 2014

are the only vehicles covered by this program (there are plenty of other threads on here about the "Customer Satisfaction Program" and what is covered) I was shocked that it wasn't...seems that the 2014's are just as likely as the 2011's to see the same issue.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:36 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I am not sure what all year models are covered but I got a letter in the mail back during the summer that they extended the warranty on my DEF tank system until 2021.My heater failed last week which threw a code when it was below freezing one morning.Took it to the dealer and they swapped out the tank heater under warranty.
You other folks might check on it before you buy the new parts when yours goes out and make sure.It may be covered and save you time/cash.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:19 PM
Soundman741
New User
New member here.... 2015 F350 6.7
I know it’s old thread and some others out there too. But it had good info. I got a cel code P207F and DEF problem and soon to be in the 50 mph or 5 mph. Local mechanic couldn’t do anything. So took it to local dealer. Well, all he did was reprogram update PCM said that what he has done on 15-16 but has changed DEF heaters on earlier trucks. 100$ diagnostic and PCM update.
I prayed & held my wallet all way to dealership.