Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Finally got a garage... got some Q's (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finally got a garage... got some Q's (Pics)

hey everyone, I have a 2010 Mustang, 1988 Firebird Formula, and my truck in my sig along with 2 other grocery getters that desperately needed housing for sometime, I also do bodywork on the side with my father. I live on a corner lot so we took advantage of that and made 2 driveways coming from each side of the garage. The garage itself is 1200 sq.feet and is "considered" a 3 bay garage but you could probably fit 5 cars if you really wanted too.

My question(s) are:

1. the contractor convinced me to finish off my driveway but i don't know wether to get concrete, stamped concrete, asphalt or bricks? It gets to about 100 degrees in mid July and 10 degrees in January ( thats Canada for you) and the ground is very clay like.

2. What brand compressor do you recommend? I need a stand up one preferably 80 Gal for painting. I never understood the difference between single and dual stage compressors.

thanks.

heres what it looks like

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking set up. To answer your question about two stage or single stage compressors. A single stage compressor puts out more volume than a two stage at pressures below 100 psig. Above 100 psig the efficiency drops way off and discharge temps go up.

A two stage compressor will go up to 200 psig where the efficiency drops off. If you have the money get the two stage.

Campbell Hausfeld makes about the best homeowner grade compressor. If you need to do some serious work then get a Quincy or Ingersoll Rand. With either of these you will get much more air for the money. I would recommend a true 5 horsepower and not 5 peak horsepower. If all you can afford is homeowner grade then go with the 5 peak horsepower Campbell Hausfeld.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Very nice looking garage! Insulate the dickens out of it and you'll never regret it!

Ingersoll-Rand makes about the best compressor ever but they are spendy. If budget wasn't an issue I'd highly recommend the rotary screw models--they're just crazy good.

A company here in Ohio has a wide range of compressors: Air Compressor Parts : Variable Frequency Drive : Variable Speed Drives : Piston Air Compressors : EatonCompressor.com Campbell-Hausfield is most widely known us home shop guys----great stuff for the price. Definitely get an oiled compressor----longer lasting and repairable if it ever becomes necessary.

Hope to see any other changes or additions----looking great so far!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
If you're serious about painting with an air compressor, get a two stage oiled compressor with as big of a tank as you can afford. The more volume through the pump and the larger the reserve in the tank, the cooler and drier your air will be compared to a smaller machine. Plumb it to an overhead black pipe setup to cool the air even more, and use a good multistage filter setup for oil and water, you don't want to feed water or oil to an HPLV gun. A good setup with a pipe run and a drop can cut a ton of water out of your air, even little 120V oil-less compressors benefit from being plumbed correctly.

Ingersoll Rand makes some reasonable homeowner type models. Quincy and Jenny are nice brand names, but if you're not making money with it IR or Campbell Hausfield are more than enough.

2340L5.230-1 Ingersoll Rand 5-HP 60-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 1-Phase)
2475N5 Ingersoll Rand 5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 1-Phase)
2475N7.5-FP Ingersoll Rand 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor (230V 1-Phase) Fully Packaged

I see a Bonester in the background there, the Bone is the best creeper I've ever used. Sweet looking setup you have there

Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 854 Likes on 772 Posts
1. You do realize the garage is too small, don't you?
2. With 2x6 walls and insulated, you should be plenty warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
3. RE: air compressor, I have a 60 gal 5 hp Campbell-Hausfeld (1991 vintage) still going strong. Any repairs/parts involved speedy service. Just ordered a replacement electric motor on Mon and here today. C-H does have 2 stage as well as bigger tanks. Check out Air Compressor Tanks, Compressor Parts , Finish Na

Old 05-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
thanks guys!!! some of you mentioned Ingersoll Rand I completely forgot about them. To be honest, Im sick and tired of seeing Campbell Hausefield everywhere I go. Their build quality looks kinda cheap but it might just be me. I found this while searching the web-

Ingersoll Rand® 5HP Air Compressor, 80 gal. - 3496129 | Tractor Supply Company

opinions?

Its only in the U.S. but I live in a border town so its no biggie

Old 05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Wonder why that's not available in some states?
Not a bad comp. IR used to be located near me(Corning, NY) Don't forget the trucking, site said not avail in stores.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Forgot to mention, check out different sites. Sometimes they have online specials with discounts, free shipping etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
my garage is too small? haha I just found this compressor, im really pushing for it.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
For the driveway, go with concrete at least 20' out from the garage, and make that area thick, 6" minimum with plenty of rebar. This will be great for jacking cars, rolling heavy engine stands and that sort of stuff around that will sink into asphalt or damage thinner concrete. Also make sure it's finished right, on a good base, and don't put salt on it this winter.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
thanks ford six, I might just do that. One big rectangle in the front.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
Well I bought one, 80 Gal MAX Air, 3 piston. Made by Wood Industries, the same guys who make Iron Horse and Eagle compressors though they state that the MAX Air is their "premium line" of compressors on their website

Wood Industries, Inc.

here it is

Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Never heard of them before now. Assembled in America? American Owned? Unheard of...
Looks like it should do the job. Like the fins on the tank lines and the oil drain extension. Recommend to extend the tank water drain so that you can reach it easier. I left mine right on the crate, built a little addition outside the garage for the compressor. Cuts down on the inside noise.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
GLR... that's a good idea about the noise. Also the drain plug is hard to reach I might just do that extension thing.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Go to the Wood site, the 7.5 HP comp shows a drain similar to what I put in mine.

Quick Reply: Finally got a garage... got some Q's (Pics)