Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Trying to decide if I should buy a V10 or Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 AM
38-72
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to decide if I should buy a V10 or Diesel

I need to buy a different truck to pull my newly acquired 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel. My old 1997 F250 with a 460 (7.5) just doesn’t cut it anymore. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
I am trying to decide if I should get a newer Ford diesel or the gas V10. I’ll only use the truck to pull the 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel, about 5000 to 6000 miles per year. It will not be a daily driver type of truck. <o></o>
<o></o>
I know that the Ford diesels (6.0, 6.4 and the 6.7) have their problems. But, I don’t know much about the V10, other than the spark plugs issues. <o></o>
<o></o>
Are there any other problems I should aware of? Is one year better than another year? Does anyone tow a trailer with a V10 and how does it perform, especially up in the mountains?<o></o>

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
I don't yet own a V10 but am looking for an E350 with that engine........what follows is just my opinion based upon perhaps a different perspective of heavy towing and power.....

Have always been a gasoline engine guy and have t admit know almost nothing about maintaining diesel engines---that right there would make me shy away from them. While it seems they run nearly forever when/if repairs are needed the cost escalates quickly into what most gasoline people would think is at minimum excessive.

The V10's don't really have a huge spark plug issue other than it being a highly suspected case of lax maintenance or improper installation/removal by inexperienced or unconcerned parts changers. There is a process and acknowledged method easily learned which tends to almost eliminate this as an issue.

From my relative short time reading about both the 5.4 V8 and V10 modular motors it seems to me they're crazy reliable, have more than enough power for most tasks when chosen properly and aren't troubled with constant issues related to manufacturing or design issues. I'm running a 5.4 V8 with 264K miles, new to me with 203K miles and its been pretty much flawless these past 4 years. Its a proven design and for me has a lot of built-in confidence by now----quite a shock to a life-long GM performance fan!

With proper gearing and perhaps the magic of Mike @ 5 Star Tuning the V10's seem more than capable of pulling most anything you can fit behind your tow vehicle. (The 5 Star tune isn't absolutely necessary but its a nice addition---read the testimonials here and you'll be impressed with most everything about Mike's operation.)

Proper cooling of the transmission while towing is of huge concern and here on FTE there are various forums addressing your particular model with a ton of great real-world users solving even potential issues.

Diesel fuel seems to be a bit more subject to higher cost in general, not quite as subject to the falling prices we see with gasoline these days. Price seems to slowly ratchet upward and never lower. Gasoline is literally everywhere, diesel not so much so.

Those are just a few of my thoughts and might get skewered by those with diesel engines but that's good too---nice to have different perspectives on a new purchase.

Let us know what you eventually decide and why----might help someone else down the road.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
We need to know that weight of your 5th wheel in order to help you make an educated decision.

I thought about making all of my text this small out of sarcasm, but then I was afraid you wouldn't be able to read it. lol

Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
We need to know that weight of your 5th wheel in order to help you make an educated decision.

I thought about making all of my text this small out of sarcasm, but then I was afraid you wouldn't be able to read it. lol
I was gonna say "you ain't funny TrdLtly!!" but then I guess you really really are!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by 38-72
I need to buy a different truck to pull my newly acquired 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel. My old 1997 F250 with a 460 (7.5) just doesn’t cut it anymore. fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
I am trying to decide if I should get a newer Ford diesel or the gas V10. I’ll only use the truck to pull the 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel, about 5000 to 6000 miles per year. It will not be a daily driver type of truck. <O></O>
<O></O>
I know that the Ford diesels (6.0, 6.4 and the 6.7) have their problems. But, I don’t know much about the V10, other than the spark plugs issues. <O></O>
<O></O>
Are there any other problems I should aware of? Is one year better than another year? Does anyone tow a trailer with a V10 and how does it perform, especially up in the mountains?<O></O>

If you live, drive and tow through the mountains (IMO hard driving) the diesel is for you. My truck doesn't care much for towing big hills. She does it with no problems but you gotta let her eat or drink if you would. I'd swear I can see the gas guage move. You can make the newer models more reliable with research in the diesel forums.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your issue with the 460 was mileage the V10 is not for you, if it was power the V10 will work nicely. A 6.0 or 6.4L will not due well sitting that long IMO and you'll run out of the warranty on time before all the problems arise to fix. Our F450 is the tow vehicle and has the V10 it does alright, won't do 75 all the time on the interstate but will keep up with traffic most times an this is running well over 30K GCVW, our old 460's would never do that. Mileage will be single digits high or mid depending on the weight you are pulling. FWIW we traded a 6.0L in for the V10, repairs went from many to none. Bought a 6.4L in addition and it has had more repairs done than the V10 and mileage is almost identical to the V10.

Stay with a '05+ V10 for the 5spd and better cab/suspension and power. '08+ gets you out of the 2 piece spark plug issue with the V10's.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
My truck doesn't care much for towing big hills. She does it with no problems but you gotta let her eat or drink if you would. I'd swear I can see the gas guage move.
This is most likely because you have tires that are 3" taller then stock. That greatly increases the rolling resistance. You can fix that with gearing.

If the OP's 5th wheel is under 10k GVWR then the V10 should be just great. Over the 10k, then I would consider the diesels. That is from my experience (see sig). I would love to have my v10 X with the 5r110 tranny though.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Ron_Manjenkins
Senior User
The motor gobbles fuel but it might be better than a 460. The only issues to consider are the coil packs and the one jumper harness recall.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If this truck is going to sit for long periods, I would say stay away from the diesel.
But if your 5ver is big, and heavy, you may not have a choice.
My father in law tows a 36 foot 5th wheel that weighs over 11K. And he tows it with a 6.2 gas.
He says he just plants his foot down in the mountains and lets it rev. He also lets his trucks sit for months at a time and a diesel doesn't like that.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like everyone else, I say consider your NEEDS very carefully. I did and my '04 V10 4x4 works perfectly for what I need. My Dad did and his 2wd 6.7 Cummins/Dodge works perfectly for him. My truck won't pull what his will, and his won't go where I need mine to go. Mine isn't my daily anymore so I can live with the mpg's, his is my parent's only vehicle so good mpg's are necessary. It's all bout what you need a truck to do and what you can afford, it doesn't matter it your talking about trucks, houses, power tools or skateboards, you buy the best you can afford and you won't be sorry.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
This is most likely because you have tires that are 3" taller then stock. That greatly increases the rolling resistance. You can fix that with gearing.

If the OP's 5th wheel is under 10k GVWR then the V10 should be just great. Over the 10k, then I would consider the diesels. That is from my experience (see sig). I would love to have my v10 X with the 5r110 tranny though.
My stock tires were actually 285 70 18. About 34" tall

My new tires are 295 70 18 or 34.6" tall. So it's not a 3" difference at all.
They are slightly wider so that definately doesn't help. I also have tunes from Mike that have made a huge difference in power. If i was towing heavy through mountains I would prefer the diesel. I dont tow heavy or live near mountains so a V10 was perfect for me. IMO.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
My parents tow their travel trailer, which weighs in around 9-10k loaded, all over the western parts of the US and Canada with a 6L gas Chevy. I know for a fact my father is one to care less how fast he's going up a steep grade. He won't rev the motor high and he's one again to not care if he's driving slower. I've encountered plenty of tractor trailers on steep grades going mighty slow. Everyone on this site sometimes seems obsessed with how fast they can tow their maxed out GCWR vehicles up, down, and around. If you want speed in the hills grab that diesel. The V10 does a fine job but in hills and altitudes the diesels will win the trailer races every time. Gas motors need to rev for maintaining speed. Diesels probably rev near a similar rpm away from their "redline" as gas motors it's just that they don't need to rev as high as a gas motor.

Test drive each and make your decision.
I've heard people say dont let diesels sit and others say they fire right up every year after sitting. So I don't have a clue on that one.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
My stock tires were actually 285 70 18. About 34" tall

My new tires are 295 70 18 or 34.6" tall. So it's not a 3" difference at all.
They are slightly wider so that definately doesn't help. I also have tunes from Mike that have made a huge difference in power. If i was towing heavy through mountains I would prefer the diesel. I dont tow heavy or live near mountains so a V10 was perfect for me. IMO.
What size does your door sticker say? If it says 285/70-18 then that would be a major pain as "all" the online databases list your 2008 F250 CC as only having 265/70-17, 275/75-18 or 275/65-20 (according to tirerack, discounttire, and edmunds, etc).

Glad you like the V10 also.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Well I may be wrong about the size but even if it was the 275 70 18 it still is not anywhere even close to 3" smaller than the 295 70 18. I had the tires side by side at one point.

BTW I towed several pretty steep and long inclines today only a 4k load (enclosed trailer) and like I said she did a great job specially with the tuner. My point is that if towed a big 5er I'd just prefer the diesel. I may own a 5er someday and if I do, I may consider the diesel.
Its just my opinion right or wrong in your eyes fine. It seems like alot of folks kinda bicker alot around here anymore.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Well I may be wrong about the size but even if it was the 275 70 18 it still is not anywhere even close to 3" smaller than the 295 70 18. I had the tires side by side at one point.

BTW I towed several pretty steep and long inclines today only a 4k load (enclosed trailer) and like I said she did a great job specially with the tuner. My point is that if towed a big 5er I'd just prefer the diesel. I may own a 5er someday and if I do, I may consider the diesel.
Its just my opinion right or wrong in your eyes fine. It seems like alot of folks kinda bicker alot around here anymore.
My apologies Jason if it seemed like I was bickering with you. I don't know everything about Fords and I learn as I go. I didn't mean to sound aggressive. If your truck truly came from the factory with over-sized tires then I wanted to add that to my knowledge. Raptor's come with 37" tires I think, so I wouldn't put it past them. Here is a great size comparison tool for those looking for new tires: Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

I think the OP was a hit and run.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide if I should buy a V10 or Diesel