Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Installing a third fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a third fuel tank

The front tank is on the driver side of the frame. Is it not possible to get another front tank from the junkyard, mount it on the passenger side, and link them together for increased capacity?

Looking for a low-cost way to increase my fuel capacity. I run on biodiesel and I'd like to be able to go to the west side of the state and back (600 miles round trip) without having to buy fuel.

Thanks
-Matt

Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. The front tank goes between the frame rails.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
Nevermind, I'm an idiot. The front tank goes between the frame rails.
I wouldn't say you're an idiot for that, but how is your muffler setup? The stock exhaust and muffler run on the passenger side where the fuel tank is on the drivers side. So if you have the stock exhaust, then you're an idiot and it won't work. If you have stacks, its an interesting idea, though I'm not sure the tank will bolt up quite right if you flip it around.

Another option for more fuel capacity is replace the rear tank with the deep tank off a bronco. I think its something like 30+ gallons and hangs down where the spare tire would go. Its a direct swap, just need to modify the fuel sender to reach the bottom of the tank, and read the correct level if you want the gauge to work.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be careful of galvanized tanks though.

I have no idea what bio would do to it, but diesel will eat the coating...

Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
another think i thought of some time ago was tanks from an older chevy truck, they sit outside the frame rails. there seems to be a lot of space there, though i haven't measured to verify it'll fit - it looks possible, but no guarantees

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another way is to just to put another tank behind the seat if your a regular cab XD!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 PM
86f250XLT-4x4
Elder User

What year bronco would have the tank that would fit?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tecgod13
If you have stacks, its an interesting idea, though I'm not sure the tank will bolt up quite right if you flip it around.
Even then it probably wouldn't work. The driveshaft is offset by a few inches, so there's less room on the passenger side of it.

So I'm still an idiot.

-Matt

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lemonshindig
Even then it probably wouldn't work. The driveshaft is offset by a few inches, so there's less room on the passenger side of it.

-Matt
Was gunna say that myself. Have you considered a slip tank for the bed? If youre unfamiliar with them, they come in all shapes and sizes, tanks that go over the wheel well and stick to the side, L tanks for fitting under tool boxes, to standard square tanks that sit in the front. We have a 100gal tank for our 92 when we used to haul horses from idaho to california. Also, i can understand if you dont want a tank in the bed. So for that i offer an aftermarket tank. There are tanks designed to fit inside the bed skirt, similar to those older chevys. Theyre not super huge but theyre plastic and seem to have a good fit, i think theyre around 15gal, maybe more. Not sure on where you would get one, or for how much.

But if it makes you feel any better, i have a tale for ya. When swapped the diesel in, at the time it was too much work to make the front tank fit, so i did only the back. No biggie right? Well the foot for the pickup is apparently broke so i can only use about 3/4 tank, leaving me with 15gal before empty... even at 17-18mpg it still sucks, about a 250mile range.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

I am at this point too with my front tank, my FSV broke when i did the swap of motors....now im running on about a 270-290 mile radius before i have to fill up.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:49 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
having factory twin tanks, i burn 15 gallons out of the rear tank and then switch over (thats where the gage hits empty), then run the front tank until i pass my "home" gas station again, which is almost always before its down to halfway. i have records of going up to 400 miles before filling up, and as i said, thats leaving a bit in the rear tank and a lot in the front one.
if i were in your shoes, i would go with a bronco tank in the rear, then decide if anything more is needed. also, a transfer pump between tanks would be helpful, as that allows you to run one tank totally dry, gaining you a few gallons as opposed to leaving a few gallons in fear of running out.

if you wanted a tank on the other side of the driveshaft, it would probably have to be custom made, which means more money than we want to think about

Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if it matters anymore, but on the older trucks youre supposed to run out the front tank first. Otherwise the fuel gets to sloshing in the long front tank, and takes out your float, fuel pickup, etc.

My factory front tank is a plastic tank, problem is i dont have the one for a 79, then ill be set, i think... not sure what is going to be harder.. Changing pickup/ return on the tank insert, or making a similar tank fit. Either way its a job, ill be glad when its over.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw using a bronco tank. Use the 38 gallon rear that was offered on some 460 trucks.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=29893

Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
batchman
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Another option for more fuel capacity is replace the rear tank with the deep tank off a bronco. I think its something like 30+ gallons and hangs down where the spare tire would go. Its a direct swap, just need to modify the fuel sender to reach the bottom of the tank, and read the correct level if you want the gauge to work.
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
Be careful of galvanized tanks though.

I have no idea what bio would do to it, but diesel will eat the coating...
I'm new to burning oil but I am coming from a 84 Bronco and still have the big tank (I think it was 36 gal?). Looks like a direct swap (if I relocate the spare) but this leads to a couple of Qs:

- How to be sure about galvanized or not?
- Will the current float/pickup work with diesel?

Thanks,
- Jeff

Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

If its the stock tank from the bronco, its not galvanized...its steel. yes the current float as far as i know will work....

Quick Reply: Installing a third fuel tank