Sponsored by:

Too Good to be True

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
LittleRadio
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Too Good to be True

Found this on CL in Chicago. I can't be true, can it?

FORD EXCURSION LIMITED

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
Found this on CL in Chicago. I can't be true, can it?

FORD EXCURSION LIMITED
Only way I see it being true is that someone needs some money in a bad way. Tell them you live close and you want to come see it now with cash in hand. If they don't balk maybe you have found someone in serious need of cash. Its at least 6-8k under priced.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
LittleRadio
Tuned
I don't have the money, but I'd be glad to take a look for a fellow FTE'er if it's within reasonable driving distance.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you take a look for me?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
The_Punisher
Senior User
Where was the deal like that three weeks ago!

Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
grishw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by The_Punisher
Where was the deal like that three weeks ago!
NO KIDDING! I flew to Alabama for mine. Two days later one popped up in Austin and I would not have had to do a thing to it! ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG

Any of you guys live around Austin and are looking for one check craigslist for eddie bauer 03 or 04 with 83K price 22000

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Gene Horr
Senior User
Originally Posted by grishw1
Its at least 6-8k under priced.
It's the 6.0. Not the 7.3 Price is in the ballpark IMO.

/ Not bashing the 6.0. When you spend the money it can be better engine than the 7.3. But unmodified there is a hit to the price.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
LittleRadio
Tuned
Originally Posted by BuiltFordTough!
can you take a look for me?
It's a little far for me to drive.

I spoke with the gentleman and the truck sounds like a good buy. I would caution that you'll probably need to spend $5k with 6.0 upgrades, and I have the sense that these early 6.0s have a lot of other bugaboos... so I agree with the other poster that thought the asking price was fair... you're gonna get a truck that needs some serious attention if you plan on actually depending upon it for tow duty.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM
grishw1
Senior User
I would still stay its a steal. The 6.0's in good shape are still selling high teens to mid 30's depending on mileage. I agree the 6.0, to be bullet proof will need 3-5k on mods to the engine. I am going through that now. The excursion regardless of the diesel engine will hold its price because there will be fewer and fewer out there in the future.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gene Horr

/ Not bashing the 6.0. When you spend the money it can be better engine than the 7.3. But unmodified there is a hit to the price.
Youve got it backwards... go to kbb.com

A nice 7.3 might will fetch similar money, and I think if you had one with under 100k it might even fetch the same money as a 6.0 just because its so rare to see a low mileage 7.3, but the newer trucks still hold a substantial price premium over the older trucks, especially at dealers. The older trucks are getting too hard to finance, and the stigma associated with the 6.0 is fading now that its been "unlocked" and everyone knows how to avoid problems and how to fix them when they show up. Plus, over time, the 6.4's and the next cummins and especially the duramax have all turned out to have their problems, too. The most expensive trucks I've seen have been late model low mileage diesels... and that means they have all been 6.0's. Very few people can afford to pay cash for a $15k or more vehicle, and few banks will finance things over 7 years or with more than 75k on them. Take it out past 10 years and 100k and NO banks will finance it as an auto loan.

The idea that the 6.0 NEEDS 5k of work to be reliable is not true. That is like saying the 7.3 NEEDS a bulletproof transmission. The 4r is total crap, but there are still thousands of them on the road. You drive it till it needs a new transmission, and at that time you decide if you want to upgrade to a $4k ATS one or just a $1200 rebuild that will get you another 100k down the road. The bulletproof mods for the 6.0 are great, and probably essential if you want to boost the truck up, but not "NEEDED" to keep the truck running at stock tune. I don't have them on mine, I just have a scangaugeII to keep track of my eot/ect deltas, which are well within range of normal, and I keep up on my maintenance. Mine was venting coolant from the degas when hot when I first bought it, so I was concerned, but it turned out to just be a bad cap, and I replaced it and haven't had any problems since. If you do your homework and spend some time in the 6.0 forums, you will see plenty of people who have stock trucks and lots of miles on them working them hard that are fine. You will see lots of people that have had blown headgaskets and done new OEM ford gaskets, arp studs, and replaced their coolers with the revised ford part numbers for EGR and Oil coolers and have had no more trouble. And you will see a few who have done full bulletproofing and still blown their engines, most of these guys are doing sled pulls and running boost up tuners and aftermarket turbos and larger injectors and ETC.
The thing is, go to a duramax or cummins forum or even switch over to the 6.4 or 6.7 forums here on FTE... you will find people talking about needed mods for each engine on each board, and you will see lots of guys blowing engines and transmissions on every forum as well. Its the nature of diesels... people work them hard and things break. Time has proven the 6.0 is not dissimilar to the other modern diesels.

Having said all that, I guess it might be real, but if so they are stupid, they could probably get 13k for that thing from carmax if it all checks out. I wonder if the guy found coolant in his last oil change or something and just wants to unload it. suspicious to me that the only pics of it are in the snow... not sure about chicago but I wouldn't think it would have snowed like that in a couple months.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
Youve got it backwards... go to kbb.com

A nice 7.3 might will fetch similar money, and I think if you had one with under 100k it might even fetch the same money as a 6.0 just because its so rare to see a low mileage 7.3, but the newer trucks still hold a substantial price premium over the older trucks, especially at dealers. The older trucks are getting too hard to finance, and the stigma associated with the 6.0 is fading now that its been "unlocked" and everyone knows how to avoid problems and how to fix them when they show up. Plus, over time, the 6.4's and the next cummins and especially the duramax have all turned out to have their problems, too. The most expensive trucks I've seen have been late model low mileage diesels... and that means they have all been 6.0's. Very few people can afford to pay cash for a $15k or more vehicle, and few banks will finance things over 7 years or with more than 75k on them. Take it out past 10 years and 100k and NO banks will finance it as an auto loan.

The idea that the 6.0 NEEDS 5k of work to be reliable is not true. That is like saying the 7.3 NEEDS a bulletproof transmission. The 4r is total crap, but there are still thousands of them on the road. You drive it till it needs a new transmission, and at that time you decide if you want to upgrade to a $4k ATS one or just a $1200 rebuild that will get you another 100k down the road. The bulletproof mods for the 6.0 are great, and probably essential if you want to boost the truck up, but not "NEEDED" to keep the truck running at stock tune. I don't have them on mine, I just have a scangaugeII to keep track of my eot/ect deltas, which are well within range of normal, and I keep up on my maintenance. Mine was venting coolant from the degas when hot when I first bought it, so I was concerned, but it turned out to just be a bad cap, and I replaced it and haven't had any problems since. If you do your homework and spend some time in the 6.0 forums, you will see plenty of people who have stock trucks and lots of miles on them working them hard that are fine. You will see lots of people that have had blown headgaskets and done new OEM ford gaskets, arp studs, and replaced their coolers with the revised ford part numbers for EGR and Oil coolers and have had no more trouble. And you will see a few who have done full bulletproofing and still blown their engines, most of these guys are doing sled pulls and running boost up tuners and aftermarket turbos and larger injectors and ETC.
The thing is, go to a duramax or cummins forum or even switch over to the 6.4 or 6.7 forums here on FTE... you will find people talking about needed mods for each engine on each board, and you will see lots of guys blowing engines and transmissions on every forum as well. Its the nature of diesels... people work them hard and things break. Time has proven the 6.0 is not dissimilar to the other modern diesels.

Having said all that, I guess it might be real, but if so they are stupid, they could probably get 13k for that thing from carmax if it all checks out. I wonder if the guy found coolant in his last oil change or something and just wants to unload it. suspicious to me that the only pics of it are in the snow... not sure about chicago but I wouldn't think it would have snowed like that in a couple months.
Well said and totally agree! The only trouble my 6.0 has given me is an alternator and a clamp coming off the up pipe. At first I thought it was a complete disaster, but in reality only took 10 minutes to fix. I am doing some mods because I do a lot of out of town work and am trying to minimize a breakdown. I've got one of the best 6.0 mechanics around and I trust what he says and he's honest as they come. Hast, if you are ever around Austin first beer is on me. You seem like good people!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like austin. I lived in houston for 3 years while going to school and hated it. I didn't get in to UT. lol.

My IC pipe right on top of the motor blew a clamp a few months ago, and when it went I was gunning it up a hill... it popped off so hard it left a tiny dent outwards in the hood where the clamp hit it.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM
grishw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
I like austin. I lived in houston for 3 years while going to school and hated it. I didn't get in to UT. lol.

My IC pipe right on top of the motor blew a clamp a few months ago, and when it went I was gunning it up a hill... it popped off so hard it left a tiny dent outwards in the hood where the clamp hit it.
FYI, I'm not a fan of the local university either!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Way way underpriced
Originally Posted by Gene Horr

Funny, try window shopping and see if you honestly repeat that

I couldn't find a 100,000k 6.0 X for under $20,000 that was worth a darn. They all hold their value very well. The V-10 and 5.4 versions are significantly cheaper, and all the 7.3's I found were nearly 200,000k on average. The lower mileage 7.3's were still cheaper than a similar 6.0

I think only the diehard 7.3 guys are the ones paying stupid high $$$ for the 7.3 rigs. Everyone else is happy to drive a newer more powerful motor

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
I loved my 6.0L in my 2004 F350. Never had a problem with it while I owned it for about 3 years (35k mi). Totally stock. Changed the fluids and filters. Oil analysis once a year. Good to go. I did monitor the coolant and oil temps with my Scangauge. I don't miss the diesel, but I really miss the 5R110. Sold that truck with 212k miles on it.