Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Used gasoline tank for diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Used gasoline tank for diesel?

Is there any reason a used gasoline tank from one of our trucks wont work on a diesel?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont see why not.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Dont see why it shouldnt work.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Thought so... But wanted to check.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Are you looking for a pickup tank or excursion tank?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

An excursion tank.

I want to add one to my truck, if possible I'd like to also keep my stock tank, bud idk how that would work.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Journeymaaann
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that I read not to use a steel galvanized tank, that the diesel fuel reacts badly with it. I'm no expert so check around.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Not sure how you will get that mounted and how to switch between the two. Do you still have your spare tire under the truck?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Journeymaaann
I think that I read not to use a steel galvanized tank, that the diesel fuel reacts badly with it. I'm no expert so check around.
Thats why I want the EX tank. They dont have problems.

Originally Posted by robbragiel
Not sure how you will get that mounted and how to switch between the two. Do you still have your spare tire under the truck?
No spare. It mounts where the spare goes. Just not sure how to connect the two.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
You might want to look into the 89-91 F150's because I use to have a 91 F150 that had dual tanks with a switch on the dash that switched between to two.

The tank mounts on the front and back and not side to side. Its a PITA dropping and hanging one by yourself. I did my X last yr and it took me all day.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 108 Posts
Have you verified that the Ex tank fits yet? I have both vehicles, and have been meaning to double-check before dropping the coin on the spare Ex tank.

As for compatibility, I would call and speak with Tousley Ford's parts department and ask about part numbers for both the gasoline and diesel Excursion tanks. If the part number is the same, then you are assured of having the exact same materials of construction and can just focus on doing a good cleanout job on the gasoline tank. I don't think they are the same materials, but am not sure. I've posted a pic below of the price differences between the gasoline and diesel fuel tanks for a 2002 Excursion, and there is enough price difference (~10%) to suggest to me that there could be a material compatibility problem. Tousley's number is in the pic.

Cory has already done this, and I am planning it as well. I want to talk with him over the phone to get some pointers, but haven't done so yet. You can shoot him a PM and he'll give you his number to call him and find out what he has learned from his experience with it. Regardless, here are my thoughts and plans thus far.

1. Sump both tanks with the sump in the stock tank having both the pump suction and a cross-connection to link up to the sump in the "new" tank.
2. Plumb the filler neck tube into the "new" Excursion tank.
3. Plumb the vent from the Excursion tank into the original filler connection on the stock tank.
4. Leave the stock vent from the stock tank connected to the fuel filler tube.
5. Cap both the pump suction and fuel return lines on top of the forward (stock) tank.
6. Extend the fuel return line to the fuel return fitting on the pickup assembly on top of the new Excursion tank, and cap the fuel pickup line fitting on the Excursion tank.

Sketch is attached below to show what I'm talking about.

The benefits of the above are as follows:
a) there is no need for any new or additional electronics (extra pump or switching valves) to swap fuel between tanks
b) most of the fuel at fillup goes into the big tank in the rear first (some will cross mix into the stock tank by way of the sump connection line), and then mixes with the older fuel, and you never accumulate "old" fuel in either tank
c) your stock level gauge will still work as it always has, but will simply drop much slower
d) given the foaming nature of diesel, plumbing the vent and fill lines the way I described will give the foam much more time to settle down before venting out the top of the stock tank to the filler tube, and this should translate into faster fillups

Hope this helps.

Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 PM
F250_
Hotshot
[QUOTE=robbragiel;11668734...
The tank mounts on the front and back and not side to side. Its a PITA dropping and hanging one by yourself. I did my X last yr and it took me all day.[/QUOTE]

I used my floor jack with a large piece of plywood which helped a lot. It still is more helpful to have a second person operating the jack while lifting the tank into position because that Excursion tank with the metal rock shroud is one heavy sonofagun.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Thats some info on how to do it. I just might have to look into doing this. Yes a second set of hands would be great to hang the tank. A motorcycle jack would work really good also instead of a single jack and plywood.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is some more info on the Ex tank swap, Cory did https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-in-yet-3.html

Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Thanks for the link, Alan. Now I know that the Ex tank will fit in my SB truck, but that I have to change the tow hitch assembly and possible get some exhaust work done. I'm still gonna measure things up and see just how tight they are.

The one thing I didn't like about Cory's install was the allthread through the bed. I guess the Ex tank mounts on additional frame cross members that are present in the Ex but not in our truck.

After reading through that thread link, I'm also now re-thinking the cross-connected sump concept because of the impact of the size on the cross-connection line in terms of fillup speed.

hmmmm... just more stuff to ponder and think through before committing with a tank purchase.

Quick Reply: Used gasoline tank for diesel?