Sponsored by: Moser

Custom trailer special

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Taereyn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom trailer special

So week ago I bought an all originial 1977 F250 Ranger LTD Super Cab Trailer edition. And when I mean all original, it still has the owners manual. Anyway when I went to get insurance on it, they were stumped by it not starting with Foxtrot or Juilet, but instead it starts with X-ray. Most models of this year have the the tailer package, so not making it rare. It came with a 460 big block, thus making the truck a total gas guzzler, a three speed automatic and a DANA 60 rear end. On wet asphalt she loves to smoke the tires. Even as old as it is, there is hardly any rust. The engine does need a new oil pan gasket. The front end needs to be alined, the tranny needs to be flushed and recieve a new filter, the starter needs cleaning, and the engine could use a rebuild as well. The thing is... Is it a custom order for it having the Super Cab and the trailer special, as well as the F250 Ranger XLT packages? The truck came fully loaded as well, even has the prehistoric beast of an AC pump. It a restorer for sure and I will spend some money on. It is cream colored with green interior, but I want to make her all black, do some special painting to the hub caps by getting the ford blue painted on the raised surfaces, get new emblems and replaces the front grill. Get the chrome redone. Make her look like she came out of the factory new again. Even with the small issues, the truck runs great. If you have any info on the truck model its self please let me know. Again the truck is a 1977 Ford F250 Ranger XLT Super Cab Trailer Special.

Extra Info

VIN: X25JKY33101
Mileage: Apx. 46582 mi.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Supercab VINs started with "X" not "F", never heard of one starting with "J".
X25=F250 2WD supercab
J=460 cu in V8 engine
K=Kansas City Assy Plant
Y33101=1977 model year sequential serial number

If you post the rest of the info on the warranty plate (Metal plate riveted to the drivers door, just below the latch) we can decode it for you.
BTW Welcome to FTE, lots of good knowledgeable people here more than willing to answer any questions you might have.
Sounds like a really nice truck, post some pictures when you can.....we all LOVE truck ****.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:57 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
You can tell if it was a customer order vs. dealer stock order. Look on the door mounted warranty plate, the very last code is the DSO code. If it's only two digits, it was a dealer stock order. If it was two digits plus four more numbers then it was a customer order.
DSO stands for "District Sales Office" that's the district that handled the paperwork from the ordering dealer. The district code is always two digits, two numbers for US districts or a letter and number for Canadian. When a truck was special order for a customer the warranty plate will have the two digit office code plus the four digit order number.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Ohiocrewcab
Senior User

I had a 77 super cab camper special and it was a week long debate with my insurance on the "x" vin code.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Taereyn
Freshman User
Well I did a bit of research into the truck, and after countless hours of searching, I came across something interesting. The truck turns out to be a late 77 model for one reason. When doing my research I came across a few photos of 78 models with Lariat interior. Well going back out to the truck I compared photos to the cab of the truck (Which I have deemed Grumpy since it had decided to not want to start, celonoid or distributor, gonna have a diagnostic ran on it) and well photos matched interior. It has the rare Lariat interior. Now with that said does anyone know what the value of this truck would be since it has 78 lariat interior in a 77 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab trailer Special?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Taereyn
Freshman User
I will try to get some pictures up of Grumpy. All in all itas a good truck needs some TLC, and engine and tranny rebuild, mostly for clean up, a few seals and gaskets and exhaust pipes. I am wanting to get some Flow Master's for it and throw a cherry bomb muffler on it, so when at red lights and stop signs you can hear that throaty 460 big block. I wish it was an manual, or even a 4 speed, but it is a 3-speed Automatic. Anyway the truck can smoke the tires on slightly damp asphault. All in all I am happy with my buy.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Taereyn
Anyway the truck can smoke the tires on slightly damp asphault.
You keep doing that and you are going to be doing the engine, trans or rear end rebuild alot soon that you expect.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Taereyn
Freshman User
I didnt mean to smoke the tires, it just kinda happened. Also do you think installing a Rhino liner in the bed be a good addition to the restoration of the entire truck itself?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
koolchange
Senior User
I used LineX in my DD and it is fantastic. I do not know how it compares to Rhino, but I would assume it is comparable. IMHO it would be great as long as the bed is sound and not rusty already.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Taereyn
Freshman User
The bed has surface rust from where the paint and primer have been removed, but other than that, there is no rust on the truck what so ever, even the rear quarter pannels are clean, and usually the first to rust out. Means this truck had been setting in a barn or something for a while. Also being here in Idaho, it doesn't have the idaho paint and window job, chips and dings everywhere. So overall, and again I say, its a very good truck and find for only $800. And I may go with LineX cause it is a spray on correct?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
koolchange
Senior User
Fantastic Price and it will be a Fantastic Truck. Yes the LineX is a spray on. I would suggest that you find a dealer and ask the dealer for 3 references of customers. Take the time to contact the references and get an idea from them how satisfied they are.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Taereyn
Freshman User
Also, should I keep the orginial color a very light cream almost white with green interior, or go all black?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
koolchange
Senior User
That's why Baskin Robbins has more than 1 flavor. Like I told my 16 year old last night "It's your truck you pick it". Black trucks are Bad to the Bone, but they are also a nightmare to keep clean. I two toned my "74 CS" Shelby Blue on Top, and Ford Hi Performance White on the bottom. If you want some ideas check out Mike000 build thread. It is truly a work of art.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Taereyn
Freshman User
Should I add clearing lights since it doesn't have any? Add running boards to it? Tint the windows? Build and add speakers/spearkers boxes and a hidden FM/AM radio? Get a bigger alternator for more electronics? Remove the prehistoric AC pump? Change it over to a serpintine belt? Should I keep it as original as possible or make the upgrades to it? So many questions!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Taereyn
Freshman User
DO you think taking it from a single carb to a dual carb look bad on a truck such as this?

Quick Reply: Custom trailer special