Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to drain the oil in the HPOP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM
4x4countryboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to drain the oil in the HPOP

how do I drain the oil in my HPOP? Tried to use a suction deal in the fill hole on top and the hose is to big to fit in there and so far none of my other attempts have worked.

How did ya'll do it?

thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4countryboy
how do I drain the oil in my HPOP? Tried to use a suction deal in the fill hole on top and the hose is to big to fit in there and so far none of my other attempts have worked.

How did ya'll do it?

thanks
You will just need a smaller hose. You can also pull the IPR but that makes a mess in your valley. Why are you wanting to change it?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Backdraft-14
Senior User
Brake Bleeder & Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump Kit

Or

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

These would work, I believe Auto zone, checker, Orielly etc... sells the same style as well

Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
4x4countryboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
You will just need a smaller hose. You can also pull the IPR but that makes a mess in your valley. Why are you wanting to change it?
the dealership said that my resevoir needed to be cleaned and another member on here (or a link to another site) mentioned sucking out the oil putting in a fresh quart letting the truck idle for 15min and then doing that twice more would help clean out the resevoir. Agree? or not so sure?

My truck misses about once every 1-2minutes when idling, dealership said I needed the resevoir cleaned, a new HPOP, and a new IPR. Instead I replaced my leaking ICP, old CPS, and ordered a seal kit for my IPR from you so I can take it out clean it, replace the seals and reinstall.

Truck was also shifting hard and puffing white smoke, but that seems like it has gone away now.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did ya'll do it?

thanks
Why are you trying to drain it? The oil in the high pressure reservoir is constantly being exchanged with the oil that is in the pan. Stomp on the throttle hard for 5 seconds and you've successfully changed the oil in your high pressure reservoir.

Clean the IPR if you really feel so compelled the oil in the reservoir will drain out into the valley. The dealer is trying to upsell you. Stuff a few clean, absorbent rags in the valley prior to pulling the IPR.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 PM
lhud
Elder User
The use of a vacuum pump will draw the oil out into a container in quick fashion.
I do this at every oil change - just takes a few minutes while the basic oil is draining out.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I would do a full HPO service... You dont need to change your oil because they are completely separate. Just change it but go with a good synthetic hydraulic fluid!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM
4x4countryboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I would do a full HPO service... You dont need to change your oil because they are completely separate. Just change it but go with a good synthetic hydraulic fluid!

whats a full service consist of?
And how are they completly seperate and what am I supposed to use the synthetic hydraulic fluid in? I use synthetic motor oil (Rotel T6)
sorry little confused.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take a old pump out of a soap or shampoo bottle, maybe even a gojo bottle and pump it into a jug. Normaly the same jug the pump comes out of. Just for reference and clarification the hp oil comes from the lp oil pump right out of the bottom of the oil pan. Now the oil in there may not be getting circulated all the time but eventually it is. I do pump mine out occasionally but it ain't necessary. Just gets an extra quart out or so. One thing to remember though, if you empty it, be sure and refill it before you crank it. Otherwise you could force air in the oil rails and cause some rough running till its cleared out. Also so the hpop isn't run dry for any length of time.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
MikeSDK
Elder User
If you are just servicing the IPR, you dont have to drain the Hpop reservoir. Stick a plug in the hole when you remove the IPR, guzzle has one or a wine cork, and then replace the IPR. Wipe up any spilled oil..

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
whats a full service consist of?
And how are they completly seperate and what am I supposed to use the synthetic hydraulic fluid in? I use synthetic motor oil (Rotel T6)
sorry little confused.
Sorry... Being an ***...

The oil in the HPO res is changed every second the truck is running. There is no reason to clean anything.

If it makes you feel better the best way to clean the HPO res is to remove it. Messy, but best way.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Sorry... Being an ***...

The oil in the HPO res is changed every second the truck is running. There is no reason to clean anything.

If it makes you feel better the best way to clean the HPO res is to remove it. Messy, but best way.
Sorry, going to be an a$$ here too. I have had this convo with Bob from DieselSite in person while looking at a HPOP reservoir. I understood what he was telling me looking at the unit while we talked, yet the fact remains that I pull out some serious crap from my HPOP. I have posted about this in the past and even shown pictures so garbage does collect there somehow. Next stop is IPR and then injectors. I say do what makes you feel good. It does not take much effort. How many times have we read about folks changing oil and it is black in no time? Either they have bad blowby or the contaminated oil remaining in the rails and HPOP is enough to pollute the fresh stuff. Or the cooler is full of crappy oil. At any rate, once the system has crappy oil it takes several changes to clear it up. Oh well, it has been a while for me and I am just posting about what I see and do. A bit of trivia here, anyone know what the pressure is in the stock HPOP? What does this do to oil, fresh and older? How about the unfiltered oil being sent upon every startup? IMO the best way to combat this is to keep the oil clean at all times. I have done this for quite some time yet can pull the dirtiest oil from my HPOP. Draw your own conclusions from this.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You can get a suction gun (looks like an old fashioned grease gun) at Harbor Freight for around $10...then stop at Home Depot and buy a foot or two of clear hose that fits inside the hose on the suction gun and fits through the Allen plug in the HPOP.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the dealership said that my resevoir needed to be cleaned and another member on here (or a link to another site) mentioned sucking out the oil putting in a fresh quart letting the truck idle for 15min and then doing that twice more would help clean out the resevoir. Agree? or not so sure?

My truck misses about once every 1-2minutes when idling, dealership said I needed the resevoir cleaned,
Think about this for a second..... the dealership (and the other member or video) is suggesting you can fix a problem by changing the oil in the HPOP reservoir. Yet that oil is constantly changed every second the engine is running, because the engine oil from the pan is constantly fed into the HPOP reservoir, and out to the HPOP itself.

So if it's already changing rapidly as the engine is running, then how is manually changing the oil by hand going to fix the issue?

See what I'm saying? Just showing that you've been given some bad advice that is simply a waste of your time, and will prove to not resolve your issue whatsoever.

a new HPOP, and a new IPR. Instead I replaced my leaking ICP, old CPS, and ordered a seal kit for my IPR from you so I can take it out clean it, replace the seals and reinstall.

Truck was also shifting hard and puffing white smoke, but that seems like it has gone away now.
It sounds like you have other issues, and the dealership gave you a scatter-shot diagnostics. Again, it sounds like more bad advice you received, and is nothing but a suggestion to swap parts until you hope to locate the problem.... at the same time completely disregarding the fact that you might spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars before you might get lucky enough to swap out the one random part that actually needed to be replaced.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Sorry, going to be an a$$ here too. I have had this convo with Bob from DieselSite in person while looking at a HPOP reservoir. I understood what he was telling me looking at the unit while we talked, yet the fact remains that I pull out some serious crap from my HPOP. I have posted about this in the past and even shown pictures so garbage does collect there somehow. Next stop is IPR and then injectors. I say do what makes you feel good. It does not take much effort. How many times have we read about folks changing oil and it is black in no time? Either they have bad blowby or the contaminated oil remaining in the rails and HPOP is enough to pollute the fresh stuff. Or the cooler is full of crappy oil. At any rate, once the system has crappy oil it takes several changes to clear it up. Oh well, it has been a while for me and I am just posting about what I see and do. A bit of trivia here, anyone know what the pressure is in the stock HPOP? What does this do to oil, fresh and older? How about the unfiltered oil being sent upon every startup? IMO the best way to combat this is to keep the oil clean at all times. I have done this for quite some time yet can pull the dirtiest oil from my HPOP. Draw your own conclusions from this.
If you are having to routinely clean out your HPOP reservoir, then you have some serious engine problems that you are ignoring, and cleaning out the reservoir is only a temporary band-aid for a much bigger issue. Kinda like putting a band-aid on a broken arm.

A person should never have to clean out their HPOP reservoir. I've posted a picture of my HPOP reservoir freshly removed from my engine, and snapped it without ever cleaning it. Looks brand new inside, and this was with more than 140K miles:

In addition, the oil in the HPOP is not "dirtier" than the oil in the rest of the engine. Several folks even on this forum have directly pulled oil samples from the oil pan as well as the HPOP reservoir, send them off for oil tests, and the test coming back showing it's the exact same oil. Again, if yours differs from that in any way, then you have major engine problems that need to be addressed soon.

Quick Reply: How to drain the oil in the HPOP