6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

So what did you do to your 6.0L today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ended up using the 50HP tow tune, seemed to pull pretty well. Im not really a fan of this trailer, or how we loaded it...was very heavy on the tongue and definitely could feel it throwing the truck around but it was managable. Towed this about 200 miles up north to massachusetts (near border of VT) and back...not sure how much weight really, but we had about 1000lb of weights in the bed, the duramax, he had another 500lb of weight in his bed and then the trailer, and 4 of us in the cab. I kinda forgot i had no fan clutch...and yesterday was like the hottest day of the year...rolling through town i was at like 240* coolant and it climbed to 260* on the highway going up a hill, less than a minute though. It cooled down to 220-230* the rest of the drive, and 190-200* all the way home. Also, before we even left, we left my truck idling in the driveway so the AC would start to cool it down a little (AC stopped working as well) and came out to a big puddle of coolant..degas bottle cracked lol. Luckily a random napa had one for some reason, bought that and changed it once we got to the fairgrounds.

Besides all that mess...it towed pretty well, i was able to maintain 70mph and didnt drop below 60 on any hills. I was watching my EGTs closely but didnt seem to get over 1200 in that tow tune. 5" straight pipe sure loved to sing when i let the converter unlock lol. Oh and my oil cooler that was just changed last year, and the coolant flushed so many times in this trucks life and the coolant filter changed at least 4 times since ive owned it...yeah i stopped watching the oil temps since i figured it was fine...decided to pull it up on my scangauge on the way home, coolant 193* oil 221*...ugh. Even unloaded it was still coolant 190* oil 209*. Great

Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Made a trip to Little Rock yesterday for granddaughter's birthday and the speedo decided to have seizures from the start. Made a pitstop after 50 miles and it straightened out for the next 200 miles. On the way home it decided to not work for the majority of the trip with a flashing/steady ABS light for most of the trip. Scanned with AE after getting home and got a P0500 code which might mean speed sensor or harness code. How much fun am I going to have chasing this ghost today? I'm starting out by replacing the speed sensor cause it's cheap and I'll move to the harness if it's absolutely necessary. Sure did use a LOT of fuel yesterday.......

Old 09-07-2014, 10:49 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
I ended up using the 50HP tow tune, seemed to pull pretty well. Im not really a fan of this trailer, or how we loaded it...was very heavy on the tongue and definitely could feel it throwing the truck around but it was managable. Towed this about 200 miles up north to massachusetts (near border of VT) and back...not sure how much weight really, but we had about 1000lb of weights in the bed, the duramax, he had another 500lb of weight in his bed and then the trailer, and 4 of us in the cab. I kinda forgot i had no fan clutch...and yesterday was like the hottest day of the year...rolling through town i was at like 240* coolant and it climbed to 260* on the highway going up a hill, less than a minute though. It cooled down to 220-230* the rest of the drive, and 190-200* all the way home. Also, before we even left, we left my truck idling in the driveway so the AC would start to cool it down a little (AC stopped working as well) and came out to a big puddle of coolant..degas bottle cracked lol. Luckily a random napa had one for some reason, bought that and changed it once we got to the fairgrounds.

Besides all that mess...it towed pretty well, i was able to maintain 70mph and didnt drop below 60 on any hills. I was watching my EGTs closely but didnt seem to get over 1200 in that tow tune. 5" straight pipe sure loved to sing when i let the converter unlock lol. Oh and my oil cooler that was just changed last year, and the coolant flushed so many times in this trucks life and the coolant filter changed at least 4 times since ive owned it...yeah i stopped watching the oil temps since i figured it was fine...decided to pull it up on my scangauge on the way home, coolant 193* oil 221*...ugh. Even unloaded it was still coolant 190* oil 209*. Great
Those temps mean nothing. Fix your fan clutch first or you are going to have issues...

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-07-2014, 10:53 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Yeah i know...i was waiting for fall so I can do it when it's cooler since I'm doing a water pump as well.i even have the parts...just didn't plan on towing. I guess i know to fix it right away to be prepared now

Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well Miles, just be glad you towing and not getting towed, it's nice to see something besides a ford on the trailer looks like your truck is running good now? ( Sweet)

Old 09-07-2014, 12:51 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Yes it does seem to be running pretty well lately... knock on wood grain

Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
Yes it does seem to be running pretty well lately... knock on wood grain
Damn Miles, don't even think about it just drive.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Damn Miles, don't even think about it just drive.
That's what I do

Old 09-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Made it to Williamsburg with out a problem or so I thought. Stopped to let my little rat dog take a pitstop around Fredricksburg Va and smelled oil burning looked under the truck and the rear diff is all oil soaked. Something told me to take the Pony. By the way the engine is quieter with the Archoil in it, mileage is off a bit too. I'll see what the damage is tonight and see if I can micky mouse it together to get home tomorrow

Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
Made it to Williamsburg with out a problem or so I thought. Stopped to let my little rat dog take a pitstop around Fredricksburg Va and smelled oil burning looked under the truck and the rear diff is all oil soaked. Something told me to take the Pony. By the way the engine is quieter with the Archoil in it, mileage is off a bit too. I'll see what the damage is tonight and see if I can micky mouse it together to get home tomorrow
Check the axle vent...

Josh

Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Vent is ck'd no signs of clogging but I taken a good at the seal and it looks .....not right. On the other hand, the diff cover looks like it has been off before and is siliconed. I topped it off and it took a half pint of gear oil, Ill stop every 1000 miles and ck the level. It will make it.....it's a 6.0

Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The RTV that should be on the cover if the grey stuff
that sets up as hard as a rock. Well not quite but close.

Sean

Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
So, I completed my 1,300 mile journey. No hiccups, no major drama. Did see a new Tacoma wreck so hard, it ripped the rear end off, and tore a front wheel off.
I do have a question though. When I really got my foot in it, and the boost is up, my scanguage reads negative. At lower boost it is dead on. Do I need to clean a sensor or the ebp tube, or something?
O and it took roughly 3 tanks of fuel, and that's including probably 50 miles of running in 4X4 on the beach.
Do you have the boost gauge set up for your elevation?

Go to Scangauge website to the Ford Xgauges and see how to set up your boost.

Ford PSD Boost : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

I see they have added a few more for real high elevations!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 AM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv

Do you have the boost gauge set up for your elevation?

Go to Scangauge website to the Ford Xgauges and see how to set up your boost.

Ford PSD Boost : Linear Logic : Home of the ScanGauge

I see they have added a few more for real high elevations!
It reads dead on at all times,unless my foot is in it, ie on ramps, big hills, towing, etc.
If I roll into it, the boost is fine on the scangauge, but if I need to go now, it reads negative.
O, and it becomes really lethargic in hot humid weather.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Mine scared the crap out of me, but reminded me that it needed something...

I had just towed a 7K load for a buddy and not long after, my trans starts acting up.

I was on my way to work this morning and right as I was a mile from work it all started.

Upon normal acceleration, it would flare really bad and then almost slam into gear. To add insult to injury, I came to a stoplight, accelerated from the stop, then noticed the engine was doing what it was supposed to, but the trans wasn't.

A few shaky handed PM's to The Man Himself Mark Kovalsky and he advised clearing the KAM as the 6.0 can learn some bad habits. So I grabbed the SCT, cleared the KAM, went for a drive and Thank God, my truck is good to go again!

Please Rep Mark for me when you can!

As for what the truck needed:

I stopped by the dealer and picked up an '08, trans pan, filter, and 8 quarts of Mercon LV. Got it all for under $200.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your 6.0L today?