6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

shopping for a 6.0L reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
schoots
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shopping for a 6.0L reviews

Currently looking for a new truck, driving a 7.3l 1997, now have a longer commute, convinced I should stick with a 7.3l from things I have heard about the 6.0l, but selection is so limited and am going to end up with a truck not much newer than the one I have now.. Any reviews input from owners or previous owners of the 03-07 F350 6.0l engines?

Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I like mine alot.First thing to know is the factory gauges are really idiot lights (engine temp, trans temp, and oil pressure) so don't rely on them. A ScanGauge ($150) or other device that plugs into the OBD port is your best bet to assess the condition of the truck. The first order of business would be to look at the oil temp vs the coolant temp. If there is more than 15deg difference the oil cooler may be plugging up. This is the beginning of a cascade of failures that can cost several thousand dollars to repair. When the oil cooler plugs, coolant flow to the EGR cooler is restricted enough to eventually cause it to fail (and/or the oil cooler can fail, allowing oil to enter the cooling system). Coolant from the EGR cooler enters the intake manifold and the combustion chamber causing extreme pressure that can stretch the head bolts and allow the head gaskets to leak. Without accurate info (gauges) all this (or just part of it) can happen with little to no warning.*
Many people have used aftermarket parts to remedy some of these problems and you may find a used truck with head studs instead of the factory bolts, EGR cooler deletes or EGR coolers replaced with stronger units.
I'm backing up a little here but the beginning of these problem is thought to be a coolant issue. Good maintenance is the key to getting long service out of a 6.0 and ignoring the coolant can kill it. There is some debate about wether the coolant type is the problem or casting sand left in the coolant passages during manufacture is the problem. There is much reading you can do here on FTE on that issue. Look for white residue around the coolant overflow tank on any truck you are thinking of buying. That would indicate it has been overheated.
The turbo on these trucks is a variable vane design with no pressure relief valve. They have been a little prone to sticking if the truck sits a lot, spends a lot of time idling, or is driven easy all the time. It seems to help to "blow it out" every once in a while.
Fuel injector "stiction" can be an issue on a higher mileage truck. Arrange to crank the truck cold and listen for very rough idle compared to a hot start. There are other causes for this but be aware the fuel injectors are expensive (a whole set dealer installed can be $2k) and negotiate the price accordingly.*So, oil cooler, EGR cooler, head bolt, head gaskets, turbo, and fuel injectors, just to name the biggies.
The good news is - under all these issues is a very good engine in a great truck. Many, if not all, of the thing I listed can be avoided by keeping up with services, so you're looking for a truck that has been kept-up very well. Lots of folks have lots of miles on their 6.0 without any of these issues. Some important things to know are; Use Ford/Motorcraft/Racor oil filters, many aftermarket filters don't fit correctly and allow oil to bypass the element. As a matter of fact, it's better to stick with Ford filters for the whole truck, an aftermarket oil filter would be a red flag on one I was looking to buy.*
An Oasis report is a list of dealer maintenance and repairs. You'll have to go to the dealer for one and some have gotten picky the last couple of years, requiring you to own the vehicle before giving you a report.
I hope this info helps. It's pretty general. Hang around here on FTE and get into the Tech Folders and learn the "search" function for more complete info. There are many knowledgeable folks here and even a few Ford Techs that can help with specific questions you may have.*
Good luck in you search!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
The 6.0 requires oem filters, and maintaining it per factory spec's. It can be a great engine if you properly take care of her & bullet proof it. The 6.0 is a very sophisticated engine & requires attention. The 7.3 is older technology, but very reliable without 5k in mods, or the specific maintenance of the 6.0, Hope this helps...

Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
schoots
New User
Thanks for the info, I guess it will be hard to know exactly how well truck was maintained. Any input as to what the better years of the 6.0l were, Currently looking at 03/04 king ranch 6.0l 270k lots of extra maintenance already listed on seller info sheet, also a turbo 2004, not much info yet 217k. Were there specific problems with each year, or less with certain years?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Schoots you are looking at some really high mileage trucks be careful and get all the history about them as you can.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Getsome68
Junior User
I just bought a 03 F250 with the 6.0l with 113k for $15k and sadly I was clueless on the 6.0 'challenges' with the EGR and head bolts. I love the truck so far but the design flaw with the head bolts is disconcerning. Mine is showing that one of the doors isn't closed which I found is a common problem. The battery light comes on some times and this is pretty common and is either an alternator dying or a battery.

There is a ton of great information on this site and people willing to help. Searching this forum and the Super Duty forum I've founf all the information that I looked for. Information is power and I wish I had read more before buying mine but so far I don't regret it. I love the power and for my first diesel I'm happy with it.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Here's some threads that will help in addition to all the good advice already given.

2004 Powerstroke - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums