6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

OH OH, I NEED YOU GUYS RIGHT NOW !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OH OH, I NEED YOU GUYS RIGHT NOW !!!

I put on spartan tuner, air intake, and exhaust recently.

I pulled into the driveway last night, and can smell burning motor oil in the exhaust, and the exhaust tip is black as coal, and a bit wet with oil.

Looked in my factory exhaust in the garage, and it's also black and wet, smelling like burned oil.

So this isn't something that just happened, it's been doing this for a while.

Not enough to notice on the dipstick.

What could be broken, and how would i convince ford to fix it ?

PS I haven't even run any big tunes or raced or anything, just highway 100-120 km/h driving.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
bad seal in the turbo...

Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Can you tell if it's diesel or oil?

Did you change oil after the delete? A stock truck can "grow" a good bit of oil. If it gets high enough seems likely some could blow out the exhaust. I've been checking oil since the mid 50s and I couldn't read this dip stick with that runny stock oil on it. If you didn't change it that may be the situation.

Could be diesel from a run away injector. That can also cause the oil to be hyper full. Do you have any codes? If it were me, I think I'd start by draining the oil and seeing how much I got out. That's if it wasn't just changed.

If those don't seem likely then maybe a seal of some kind in the turbo. seems like that if there was enough to get wet at the end of the tail pipe then it would show low on the dip stick unless it was very high to begin with.

Stand by, one of the real mechanics will give us an answer soon. On edit, there ya go. answered while i typed. good luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,442 Likes on 1,031 Posts
likely passing some oil. Turbo's possibly. How is the rest of the intake tubing? Might want to pull the straight pipe out and just see what comes out

Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
It is definately engine oil. I can smell it and it is not diesel, no way.

The oil's been changed 2 x in the last 5000 km, they didnt ask and just did it when it got new o rings on the lower rad hose.

So heres a question though. its slow enough to not really smoke, never noticed it with the DPF on, how can i convince a dealership that anything is wrong?

They have to be able to witness the issue, which they wont if i put the exhaust back on and take it in, so they'll just send me on my merry way.....

What am i supposed to say? "Yeah you shoulda seen, last week when i had a stright pipe on it, and a programmer, there WAS oil !!!"

I know it isnt anything i did, the stock exhaust is also oily.

It is cold out, so changing exhaust or taking stuff apart isnt something i can do on the lawn, its gotta go to the shop.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Could be diesel from a run away injector. That can also cause the oil to be hyper full. Do you have any codes? If it were me, I think I'd start by draining the oil and seeing how much I got out. That's if it wasn't just changed.

If those don't seem likely then maybe a seal of some kind in the turbo. seems like that if there was enough to get wet at the end of the tail pipe then it would show low on the dip stick unless it was very high to begin with.
Theres no knock, no smoke puffs, or anything that would point to injectors....also no codes.

Truck is running perfect.

I thought the turbo seal was something that went very quickly, with bellowing smoke and major oil lossess.....

Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
So, blow by at the rings or the valves. Do diesels have valve guides and seals? They must. Seems to me you would need to leak a lot of oil for some to get to the tail pipe without burning up in the exhaust stream. But if that much was leaking why wouldn't it be showing on the dip stick in 3000 miles?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
i just went and smelled the exhaust after my wife went for a little rip, all i can smell is diesel. This seems like it does it, then it doesnt, then out of the blue it does it again.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM
senix
Super Moderator
If no change in oil level then it is probably diesel that you have. Even deleted there can be some.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
cmalley12
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your going to bring it into the dealer i think u have to run these trucks for 87 miles or so after u return the truck to stock in order to erase the evidence of a tuner.... i might be wrong but i think thats the case... put the stock exhaust back on and bring it to the dealer if its still under warranty!... and im sure that if a dealer did enough digging they could find out the truck was tuned!... but i dont think they are necessarily looking for it everytime a truck comes in.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cmalley12
if your going to bring it into the dealer i think u have to run these trucks for 87 miles or so after u return the truck to stock in order to erase the evidence of a tuner.... i might be wrong but i think thats the case... put the stock exhaust back on and bring it to the dealer if its still under warranty!... and im sure that if a dealer did enough digging they could find out the truck was tuned!... but i dont think they are necessarily looking for it everytime a truck comes in.
One regen cycle worth should be sufficient

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
I would definately NOT take it in with the problem with the tuner and exhaust still on it. If you have to it would be worth the money to find a local mechanic with a garage that will either let you use his shop and hoist or do it for you. Most dealerships will just laugh in your face when you bring it in with a tuner and then ask them to find the problem and warranty it.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
yeah thanks guys, so but how to i convince them that theres a problem ?

And senix, when there is oil, you really can smell it burning. And i used to burn waste oils in a out door type boiler, so i know what diesel and oil smell like burning.

There sometimes is for sure oil

Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cmalley12
if your going to bring it into the dealer i think u have to run these trucks for 87 miles or so after u return the truck to stock in order to erase the evidence of a tuner.... i might be wrong but i think thats the case... put the stock exhaust back on and bring it to the dealer if its still under warranty!...
There are some IM emission tests that supposedly take about 100miles of driving and a couple of engine run and overnight off cycles to finish after the PCM is reset.

The thing I'm curious to know is, how does the front side of the DPF look assuming you have it apart? Is it oily as well? I assume the CAT would have burned up some of it on the way through. How were regens and mpgs behaving over the past year or so? Anything suspicious?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by aquaman
There are some IM emission tests that supposedly take about 100miles of driving and a couple of engine run and overnight off cycles to finish after the PCM is reset.

The thing I'm curious to know is, how does the front side of the DPF look assuming you have it apart? Is it oily as well? I assume the CAT would have burned up some of it on the way through. How were regens and mpgs behaving over the past year or so? Anything suspicious?
the stock exhaust is clean and dry on the tailpipe side, and black and oily on the engine side.

mileage was decent.

there was nothing and still nothing wrong with the way the truck drives at all.