6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel flow requirement on 6.7L Stage 1 Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpbf350
I just got off the phone with AirDog tech support...they told me that the DF100 and DF165 do not replace the dfcm but operate between them.
There are ones from AirDog that replace the system...but for other models of engines..

They use oem fittings so the system can be installed and uninstalled easilly. The only thing cut is the fuel tank vent tube.
Good to know. I feel better about adding to rather than replacing the Ford filters.
There must also be a 12v connection for the pump somewhere.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
"So did Ford make a change?"

I, for one, dont know, but that dont mean much.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by MidMichigan
The AirDog video is impressive. For my .02 I have a couple of thoughts.

First, The AirDog demo is pumping the air back to the tank in the vent line. It would seem to me a full size tank with 30 gallons of fuel in it is going to settle a lot more than a two quart tank like on the video. The return line is also piped all the way down into the fuel which is only compounding the problem. I wonder if the vent line on the factory tank does the same or is it only pipes down into tank a little ways? If the vent line has a air/fuel mixture in it, there must be a difference between releasing fuel into the air and releasing air into the fuel. If it is cut into the vent line than none of the air is added to the fuel. I think in the video it is adding this extra air to the fuel to help show how it is removed. After all, there has to be air in fuel to take it out. Sales gimmick to me. Question is how much air is actually in our fuel when it reaches the injectors. Maybe someone else can set me straight.

Second, I couldn't find one place in add where it stated it removes water. Maybe I am mistaken, but I couldn't find it. Being water is the problem with the HPFP, I am not sure if this $700 fix is going to answer the problem. Is Ford going to deny warranty work based on air in fuel?
AirDog® II Fuel Air Separation System featuring Demand Flow Technology

AirDog® II is designed to operate at flows and pressures beyond the maximum requirements of the engine. It receives fuel under vacuum from the fuel tank containing entrained air/vapor, particulate contaminates and unknown quantities of water.
The fuel passes through the water separator which removes the large particulate contaminates that could damage or jam the gerotor fuel pump. The fuel, with only entrained air/vapor and tiny particulate contaminates remaining, then enters the fuel pump.

I agree, though that it is not specifically designed for WATER removal....but talking to them directily....they say it does. That is why I would go with a Racor 500MA or a 900 in front of it.

The beauty of this system to me is that it has its own pump. which eliminates any issue with starving the DFCM of any required flow! It is preassure regulated to 10 psi factory.....and has 100-165 gph flow....so it will always have enough fuel at the suction side of the dfcm!

As far as the AIR is concerned, when your tank is full...not at all going to be an issue. IMO but once you have 1/4 tank gone...or more, I think the air will become more and more a possibility!

Think about how much your fuel gets sloshed around in that tank....

AGAIN, we come back to the "possibility" of a pump operating at it limits.... IF air is sucked into the line....it will be pushed through the pump! AIR does not make a good lubrication! Hence when you change the fuel filter you have to cycle the key on and off several times to purge the air out of the filter via the re-circulating system...it pushes the air back to the tank, but under power the system is sending fuel to the hpfp and any air bubbles that ARE in the fuel that get sucked up....will have a very good chance of going through the pump.

My gut feeling is that this hpfp failure is really a combination of things all weakening the pump surfaces. In some cases it has proven to be more than the pump can handle.

With the cost of repairs if it does fail.....Under $1000 to put a good filter sytem on that will not effect fuel flow at all! Thats is the choice for all of us to make and I do not fault ANYONE who doesn't think it is a good idea. Thats why we live in AMERICA, right!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AirDog® II Fuel Air Separation System featuring Demand Flow Technology

AirDog® II is designed to operate at flows and pressures beyond the maximum requirements of the engine. It receives fuel under vacuum from the fuel tank containing entrained air/vapor, particulate contaminates and unknown quantities of water.
The fuel passes through the water separator which removes the large particulate contaminates that could damage or jam the gerotor fuel pump. The fuel, with only entrained air/vapor and tiny particulate contaminates remaining, then enters the fuel pump.

I agree, though that it is not specifically designed for WATER removal....but talking to them directily....they say it does. That is why I would go with a Racor 500MA or a 900 in front of it.

The beauty of this system to me is that it has its own pump. which eliminates any issue with starving the DFCM of any required flow! It is preassure regulated to 10 psi factory.....and has 100-165 gph flow....so it will always have enough fuel at the suction side of the dfcm!

As far as the AIR is concerned, when your tank is full...not at all going to be an issue. IMO but once you have 1/4 tank gone...or more, I think the air will become more and more a possibility!

Think about how much your fuel gets sloshed around in that tank....

AGAIN, we come back to the "possibility" of a pump operating at it limits.... IF air is sucked into the line....it will be pushed through the pump! AIR does not make a good lubrication! Hence when you change the fuel filter you have to cycle the key on and off several times to purge the air out of the filter via the re-circulating system...it pushes the air back to the tank, but under power the system is sending fuel to the hpfp and any air bubbles that ARE in the fuel that get sucked up....will have a very good chance of going through the pump.

My gut feeling is that this hpfp failure is really a combination of things all weakening the pump surfaces. In some cases it has proven to be more than the pump can handle.

With the cost of repairs if it does fail.....Under $1000 to put a good filter sytem on that will not effect fuel flow at all! Thats is the choice for all of us to make and I do not fault ANYONE who doesn't think it is a good idea. Thats why we live in AMERICA, right!
I agree with your point and I think the Airdog idea is a great one. However I do want to make a point about air bubbles in fuel. When the fuel is pressurized it can hold more air in a dissolved state, meaning there are fewer or no air bubbles. So when the DFCM pressurizes the fuel (I think it's about 50psi), most of the tiny bubbles will probably disappear.

Think of it as the opposite of effervescense. When you open a pop can, you release the positive air pressure inside and air bubbles literally form out of nothing in the pop itself and percolate to the surface. This is because the reduced pressure on the pop cannot hold as much air in the dissolved state. If you were to pump more air back into the can, it will slowly dissolve back into the pop.

So when the DFCM pressurizes the fuel, most of the air bubbles will literally disappear. The same thing happens again when transitioning from the low pressure system to the high pressure system. The bubbles can no longer be sustained and they collapse upon themselves and dissolve into the liquid fuel.

My point is that although air bubbles may present a problem under certain situations, they will likely disappear after being pressurized.

-los341

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
MidMichigan
Junior User
Absolutely, to each his own. I think a Racor 500 or a 900 filter/separator will do the same thing as far as cleaning the fuel for a lesser price. Racor filters are abundant and easy to find. You also don't have to worry about another pump "breaking down". I do not believe the air in the fuel tank or in the lines is an issue worth trying to fix.

From what I have picked up in all this, it is the emulsified water thats the problem. I imagine the OEM separator and filter does the same thing as AirDog lists above- "removes large particles". But what does it do with emulsified water?

But like I said to each his own. If you decide to purchase it be sure to let us know the results. As far as America I did my part and voted Tuesday!

Pretty soon the back of our trucks will be full of filter systems. To bad Ford cant put a fuel pump on it that will last the life of the truck in real world circumstances.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by los341
I agree with your point and I think the Airdog idea is a great one. However I do want to make a point about air bubbles in fuel. When the fuel is pressurized it can hold more air in a dissolved state, meaning there are fewer or no air bubbles. So when the DFCM pressurizes the fuel (I think it's about 50psi), most of the tiny bubbles will probably disappear.

Think of it as the opposite of effervescense. When you open a pop can, you release the positive air pressure inside and air bubbles literally form out of nothing in the pop itself and percolate to the surface. This is because the reduced pressure on the pop cannot hold as much air in the dissolved state. If you were to pump more air back into the can, it will slowly dissolve back into the pop.

So when the DFCM pressurizes the fuel, most of the air bubbles will literally disappear. The same thing happens again when transitioning from the low pressure system to the high pressure system. The bubbles can no longer be sustained and they collapse upon themselves and dissolve into the liquid fuel.

My point is that although air bubbles may present a problem under certain situations, they will likely disappear after being pressurized.

-los341
Good point!

I never gave that any thought. They disappear....but to what extent....are the microscopic air bubbles still posing a LOW LUBRICITY situation? It just may be the catalist in the bad US SCAR ratings as opposed to those in Canada. NO? Just a thought.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
los341
Senior User

Good point!

I never gave that any thought. They disappear....but to what extent....are the microscopic air bubbles still posing a LOW LUBRICITY situation? It just may be the catalist in the bad US SCAR ratings as opposed to those in Canada. NO? Just a thought.
They disappear at a molecular level, meaning there are no air bubbles, or tiny pockets of air. The dissolved air molecules are evenly distributed amongst the fuel molecules.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:28 PM
dbc001
Tuned

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Heh ..... my $0.02 worth. I would suggest being very careful in altering the filtering and/or fuel pump(s). It could be a recipe for disaster from an operational and/or a warranty perspective. Read pumpdoctors feedback on cavatation at the HPFP. There are also sensors on the fuel pressure leaving the lift pump and so on and so on. I just wouldnt want to see someone blow an HPFP and be denied warranty because of a change that made good sense in theory.

I investigated previously, (see other posts on AirDog etc.) and wont be doing it. That being said the post HPFP high pressure filter seems to have some merit on the surface. Better to defray a $12K to a $2K repair bill if possible. The trick on that one, aside from the HP fittings and such, is the issue of dealing with a clogged filter and how that impacts the injectors. Some have said there are sensors on the injectors that prevent damage but I'm just not sure.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Good luck to all of you.

I'm glad that some of you are wililng to be guinea pigs for a potential $10-18,000 engineering experiment.

I look forward to the final product...

Old 03-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
While not at all the same as the 6.7 the 7.3s had issues with air getting into the fuel system mostly from bad hose connections.
I am concerned that just adding filters may cause issues with the stock lift pump as I assume the OP was.
B&L, The issue is that Ford has no clue as to what is causing the HPFP failures. Their excuse is water. Then they deny the warranty coverage. We are looking at possible ways to save the pumps in the first place. If Ford is going to deny the warranty anyway, we could prevent that $18K repair.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50
B&L, The issue is that Ford has no clue as to what is causing the HPFP failures.
I don't think you have any way of knowing what Ford does or doesn't know about the HPFP failures. To suggest they have "no clue" is pretty far fetched I think.

We are looking at possible ways to save the pumps in the first place. If Ford is going to deny the warranty anyway, we could prevent that $18K repair.
I know what you're trying to do, however, you could also damage the pump, injectors, etc... in the process of modifying a very complex system and engine and end up with a big bill for your trouble.

Like I said, good luck to you all, if no one ever took a chance and tried to build a better mousetrap, we'd never move ahead. I just know that I won't be spending my money and taking on that risk.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:00 PM
Hesty
1st Gear
That is an outstanding question

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Does anyone know how large the additives in the fuel is? It would be interesting to see what would happen if there was a two micron filter in a fuel line that contains three micron additives in it...

I am new to this group, so forgive me if my reply doesn’t seem to jive correctly or in the order it should be. This is one of the best questions I have heard yet about micron filtration with respect to additives

Old 12-01-2022, 08:04 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Hesty
I am new to this group, so forgive me if my reply doesn’t seem to jive correctly or in the order it should be. This is one of the best questions I have heard yet about micron filtration with respect to additives
The additives are in suspension with the fuel and sub-micronic in size so I can't imagine there is any practical single pass filter that would be able to pull them out of suspension and still flow anywhere near enough.

This is an interesting thread but about a decade old at this point. I do find it interesting that fuel filtration beyond the OEM doesn't seem to be as a huge deal in the 6.7 PSD world, it is more taking care of the CP4 pump. Coming from a 3rd gen 5.9 cummins, it is totally different the OEM fuel filters were wholly inadequate for that fuel system and upgraded filtration was very popular.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:51 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50
My only concern is what will Ford do with warranty with an addon system. Cant be worse than what they are doing now I guess.
what warranty?

ford will always play the “you put water, rust, gasoline, def” in the fuel card.

I have the 125k/8yr ford extended and I decided long time ago I’d rather spend 400 for an s@s gen2 DPK now and then if in need a cp4 later, just buy the cp4 pump vs paying ford 10k + for them to install a fuel system disaster repair kit.