Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My Clutch Pedal Helper Spring Removal Synopsis

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Clutch Pedal Helper Spring Removal Synopsis

So as some of you know I involuntarily removed my clutch pedal helper spring when the bracket holding it broke. At first I wasn't sure how this would effect my clutch pedal so I did not drive the truck. Then I remembered that some people after installing upgraded Southbend clutched HAVE to remove this spring since the clutch pedal will sometimes stick to the floor because southbend clutches actually give you a easier pedal then the stock clutch. I have a southbend clutch but never had this happen to me.

Anyways I decided to post a thread on my opinion on not having a helper spring on the pedal. Please keep in mind that I have a Clubbed foot on my left side and therefor my left foot and leg are weaker then a "normal" persons.

I will list pro's and con's:

Cons:
Stiffer Clutch Pedal, This may not be considered a con if you have normal leg stregth.

Less "play" in the clutch pedal, Before removing the spring there is about an inch of "play" at the top of the pedal before you actually start disengaging the clutch. I find this bit of "play" nice.

Pro's:
Clutch feels and acts more like an average clutch instead of a big truck.

Less play in the clutch pedal makes it seem like clutch is more efficient (I know its not).

Lower Clutch Pedal, The clutch pedal is now at the same height as the other pedals. More comfortable leg position when going to press the clutch in.

I think that about covers it. I'm not 100% sold on not having the helper spring yet but we will see. Also im having a hellofa time finding that bracket so either way I might have to deal with it. I am sure that someone with normal leg/foot streagth on their left side will find these pro's and con's less significant then I do but I'm always happy to offer my opinion from my unique posistion.

Other ZF6 guys that have removed their spring (voluntarily or not) please chime in with your thoughts of before and after removal.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM
camodown
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the Spring removed for a Short time but it didnt feel right. New the Pedal Box runs $80 for a whole Assembly when i bought Mine.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Nolan-

That casting that breaks seems to be a "do it all" type of part that is not easy to repair. The design is very weak in that where mine broke it was a thin piece of aluminum. I think your best bet is a used one. However if you go that route I suggest you have someone with a MIG or TIG welder reinforce that area with some additional material.

I like mine without the spring. I used to have the occasional pedal stuck to the floor but now that you mention it I haven't had that happen since the spring popped out.

See if you get used to it and forget about it. That will pretty much answer the question of whether to fix it.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not just the south bend clutches. I'd speculate that it is most aftermarket clutches.

I removed mine in 2003 because of the sticking to the floor thing. Hadn't ever really considered putting it back in as I've found no down side to having it out....... but since you brought it up I may go ahead and reinstall it.

My Valair ceramic is quite stiff compared to any of the previous clutches. Might be worth the effort to stick it back in and see how she goes.