6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

First DEF fill issues????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Cold One
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junker2
So has anyone watched the service techs fill your DEF tank? The one here in Tulsa, OK overfilled it so it leaked out the overflow and spilled DEF fluid all over the exterior paint job. So i pointed out the exterior paint job issue and the overflow issue and they pressure washed the areas. Then they left a big mud print in the floorboard when they moved the truck, (2011 K Ranch DRW). So they offered to detail the floorboards. So i end up with a 3 hour first oil oil change at 5000 miles, WTF??? Do they ever read the instructions for the fluids they handle? Hell they should have washed and detailed the whole FN truck for their complete lack of care.
And that is why I do all the work on my truck I am capible of. We pay too much for these trucks to have dealers disrespect our product. I expect a higher level of professionalism from my dealer b/c thats what I provide for my customers. It does take some time for the dealer to learn about new product.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 924 Likes on 331 Posts
Ya know, that DEF isnt going to eat through the paint like acid. Just rinse it off with water, and you are good to go. After all, it is mostly water, with urea.

do you expect the mechanic to bow down, and say a prayer first? I do expect the dealer/mechanic to take care of my truck, including not make a mess of it, and if they do, well, mistakes happen, and they will take care of it.

I agree with others, relax. Better for the blood pressure.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Michael53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been pulling a snowmobile trailer a lot this winter and have been topping off my DEF tank on occasion (every 1500-2000 mi or so) so I am not in the outback needing DEF fluid in the middle of the night. From my experience in refilling the tank, it is inevitable that you will spill some on the paint and it definitely will overflow - even with the FORD filler from my experience - maybe it's just me. I keep a bottle of slightly soapy water in a Rubbermaid container along with Ford PM22A fuel conditioner and Ford Anti-Gel that I use to wash off any DEF that gets on the paint. It's not that big a deal.
Don't get me wrong - I am a excitable, finicky, picky person who keeps his truck and cars spotless when I can, but my research tells me that DEF is not a problem if washed off properly. If the dealer were to spill some on my paint, like you I would expect them to wash it off properly.

Also like others have said, when you get the 1/2 full message, it will only take 2 Gallons from my experience so beware.