Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Junkyard tale

Ok, so on Saturday morning we got on the ferry headed for a trip to the mainland and the 1 1/2 hour drive to Seattle to spend time with some family. As we approached my favorite mom and pop junkyard I mentioned to the little woman that I'd like to stop by and see if they had some kind of inside rear view mirror I could adapt to my '59. Well they said go out back and take a look. We headed out into the muddy yard in pouring rain, dressed for the city ( my cleanest work clothes). Score! A '62 unibody sitting there with no front wheels on it's belly in the mud. Good mirror so I went and got a phillips from the boss. Upon returning to the cab I noticed how amazing the seat was. I asked in the office and he said 25.00. It was a later seat, cloth maybe 80's pickup. I've never been a fan of newer seats in old trucks, but work has been a bit slow and my truck budget is getting squeezed and the seat was just like new. Now we gotta get this thing out..... It is so close to original specs that its 4 feet are bolted into the captive nuts in the floor. The boss sends his kid out to help us and he forklifts the truck to just behind the office. The kid has an ancient impact wrench and a tray of beat up chinese sockets. I'm trying to be polite and not tell him what to do, but he stcks a 9/16ths on there and instantly rounds the corners off the rear passenger side bolt. He shrugs and says maybe it was metric. I looked at the business end of his socket and it is basically round inside, totally worn out. I backed out all the others with a 9/16ths box end. He tries every other socket to no avail. Duh. He goes in and asks his dad what to do. I'm thinking torch but the dad says he's too blind to use one and the kid doesnt know how and all they have is a propane torch and the trucks gas tank is an inch away anyhow. They produce a chinese air chisel which the dad goes back in and sharpens 3 times as it continues to round over. No luck. By now I've been kneeling in the mud trying to see the captive nuts etc. Kid says he's gonna try to go after the captive nut with a die grinder. Did I mention it was 'her' sister's birthday and we were now running a bit late? Back inside I see a sawzall. I ask the boss if I can use it and he says sure. I'm not giving it to the kid.....Of course it has one blade and it's dull. I made a brief attempt at the bolt but the floor rises just beyond it so I couldn't get a clean shot at it so I cut the foot off the seat frame and I'll just weld a new piece on there later. Went to dinner with dried mud on my boots and knees, but nobody seemed to care. The seat is in the living room now because it was pretty wet, but I went after it with the 409 cleaner and we vaccumed out the mouse nest from the bottom. I figure it will be dried out by the time I get my floors finished.........
Attached Images

'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
You can't beat the price. I paid $30 for mine and then had to pay $350 to have it recovered...

1949 F-1
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Elder User

thundersnow70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
nice looking seat gb, i prolly would have gave up on the dinner and just kept looking in the boneyard. glad it worked out for ya
Mark
Working on these old trucks is easy, all you have to do is................................................ ....
Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Man, you had better watch out or that thing might turn into a full time love seat in the house.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Elder User

mblayton is starting off with a positive reputation.
Definetly a 83-85 seat, nice condition for the age, and price was right.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
You might be a redneck if your best piece of living room furniture has slots for the seat belts.......
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Really man, just cut off the back end of a Fridge styleside box and slide that thing in there. The box sides will make perfect armrest for setting things on! I sure wish I had an extra box to make one out of! Of course, I fall asleep as soon as I sit very long so it dosen't really matter what the couch looks like!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior User

53 tonner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great Story!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Posting Guru

Yesterday I drew a sketch of the fridge couch on the back of a drawer box I was assembling. It had a beer bottle on the 'arm rest'. Later I got to thinking It should have a couple of swing away TV trays that plug into the stake pockets. The guy that works for me asked what I was gonna use for a coffee table. ???
Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Elder User

3414 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey, just weld a few old rims to one side of the tailgate for the coffee table.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Posting Guru

In the furniture business we call that a pedestal base. Finally a use for the old widowmakers. And if used with the correct side up, a tailgate could contain most spills.......Very good idea!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Post Fiend

If the unit were built high enough, the tail gate could be left hanging down behind you feet to act as skirting! It could also be padded and when needed it could be raised to accomodate the reclining posistion. Instant footstool! I certainly wish one of the Photoshop guys would do a mock up for me. I could park it in between Havi and Steve's dream machines!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Junior User

rgs4x is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome. Seats out of 90s Chevy or GMC work well although you have to drill 4 new holes.
My old one recovered.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Posting Guru

Finally installed the seat today. I used the seat rails from the '59, so it bolts to the original 8 floor holes. Made some spacers out of 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 heavy wall rectangular tubing. The later model seat was about an inch lower so this put it up a bit. The side to side centerline was exactly the same on both seats, so this made it easy. I offset it front to back by an inch, but in the fully back position it clears the fuel tank by about an inch. If I did it over, I would make it clear the tank by 1/4", giving the operator an additional 3/4". Or he could go on a diet.....
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
65, backend, blocks, car, cruiser, driving, ford, front, hampshire, junkyard, land, owed, pickup, toyota, videos, wheel, windsor, woman