Sponsored by: DP Tuner

new wheels and tires now truck wobbles and lots of play in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new wheels and tires now truck wobbles and lots of play in steering wheel

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hey guys, i just put new wheels and tires on my truck. I have a 4" lift and went from 35x12.5x16.5 to 325/70/17. I had a little play in my steering before, but now it seems ridiculous how much play i have, and when i drive and switch lanes my truck is very wobbly and almost difficult to drive. it is fine if im driving straight, just whenever i move the steering wheel. I did check, but it feels almost like the lugs where not tightened and the wheels are wobbling. I know that’s not the problem, just best to describe it. i was thinking it was death wobble but after reading it seems like it would shake violently if that was the case. These wheels and tires are brand new from discount tire, would improper balancing of wheels and tires cause that, and cause the play in steering?

Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You could check by swapping fronts to rear. Also make sure they are centered. Just because the lug nuts are tight doesn't mean they are good. If the yahoo at Discount didn't install it right, that could be the issue. Also have you checked your unit bearings and ball joints to make sure they are in good shape?

The new tires may be showing a problem that has always been there.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
I had my ball joints done back in november. I am not sure how to check or what the unit bearings are. Could my gearbox cause this? It's just odd to me that this would start with the new wheels and tires. The tires that were on it before were not bad, just had a cracked rim so replaced all together. Should my first step be taking it back to Discount and having them check it?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first guess would way too much air pressure. Second would mount/balance issues. Third is bad tires or wheels. Just because they are new, don't mean they are good and round tires are pretty rare anymore.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHNNYRICH10
I have a 4" lift and went from 35x12.5x16.5 to 225/70/17. I had a little play in my steering before, but now it seems ridiculous how much play i have
You moved to a tire that is 5" shorter and 4" narrower. That is a whole lot of rotating mass removed. I'd say the big tires were masking the problem that was already there.

Unit bearings are the hub and wheel bearing assembly. You check the play in them just like any other wheel bearing. Jack up the tire and see if you can alter the camber angle by hand. If you can then either the wheel bearings or ball joints are bad.

Given what you've posted thus far I would suspect a front end issue. Tie rod ends, drag link, or the drop link (panhard bar). If not one of those I would suspect the steering gearbox itself. Reason I say that is the ball joints are newish, and any decent tire guy should notice a bad bearing as soon as the truck leaves the ground. Also I've replaced a lot of unit bearings and none of them let the truck wobble when they failed. They just get loud and start cupping the tires.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
Sorry, i meant to put 325/70/17. I edited the original post

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha....that makes much more sense.

Doesn't change my mind since both the 16.5's and the 17's are lug centric wheels, but it does bring the mount/balance issue into question.

Try woodnthings advice and swap the fronts to the rear. Pay close attention when you jack the front end up as the bottom of the tires will "fall"or move inwards a small amount when they leave the ground if the bearings are bad.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 AM
JOHNNYRICH10
Junior User
Ok, took it to get an alignment, it was out of alignment a little bit so they got it aligned. unfortunately did not fix the problem. I am going to try and adjust the steering box at lunch or after work today. And then will try and swap front and back wheels this evening and see if that changes anything. They did say that the hub bearings seemed fine to them so that is not the issue either. One of the guys said it does sound like the steering box.