1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I know it's been asked but WHAT PROGRAMMER?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM
StumpJumper00
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's been asked but WHAT PROGRAMMER?

Like the title says what programmer do you recommend and why?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
cory5517
Senior User
I'm selling my superchip flashpaq for a edge revolution tuner. With the edge tuner you can view guages on the main screen and switch tunes on the fly.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at peoples signatures and the sponsor of the forum that will answer a lot of your questions. These trucks do really well with "shift on the fly" custom tuning. DP tuner is a sponsor and has good customer service, any of the "custom tuners" with a TS style chip are also highly recommended.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: DP Tuner | DP Tuner Diesel Chips | DP Tuner Chip Modules - DP Tuner

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Like Big Al said. Get a chip with tunes by one of the custom tuners that sponsor the forums. There are a few to choose from and most people have their favorites and even a few have their not so favorites. The point is they provide a much more useful tune that will really wake the truck up.

Tuners like the Edge or Superchip work ok, but are limited in their power and function. Most of the guys on here with custom tuned chips have had a tuner like the two mentioned. They have also replaced them for something better. Tuners are often marketed as a "one size fits all" and come with gauges, HP, and code reading ability. The gauge portion and the code reading is nice. The tunes they provide are pretty lame and just do not make full use of the potential the truck has.

Another route to go is with an SCT tuner with custom tunes. This is usually a little lower cost but does not allow switch on the fly and you still need gauges.

Gauges are important and using them is more important. Do yourself a favor and install gauges before you add tunes. You need at least an EGT gauge to let you know when to let the foot off the go pedal. If you have an auto trans. you need a temp gauge for it too.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 PM
meierw1
Senior User
Php tunes!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 PM
cutlass
Elder User
My vote goes to DP Tuner! Great customer service and I love their ability to dial in their tunes to match your truck's setup and mods. Jody's knowledge of our trucks is what makes their tunes so great.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cutlass
My vote goes to DP Tuner! Great customer service and I love their ability to dial in their tunes to match your truck's setup and mods. Jody's knowledge of our trucks is what makes their tunes so great.
Just curious...

Have you run anyone elses tunes?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:48 AM
StumpJumper00
Junior User
Originally Posted by cory5517
I'm selling my superchip flashpaq for a edge revolution tuner. With the edge tuner you can view guages on the main screen and switch tunes on the fly.
I talked to edge yesterday and they said that unless you get one with juice you can't switch on the fly. I actually ordered the cs as an impulse they said I have 60 days to try it out risk free.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I read somewhere that many of the custom tune providers share the same chip, but DP-Tune uses a proprietary chip. If you go with DP, you have to stay with DP. I'm cool with that myself for a couple of reasons:
  1. How many tunes does one need? Jody has never let me down with the wide selection that DP has.
  2. Moates is their chip provider and Made In USA is a powerful draw for me.
Find somebody close to your location that has a custom DP, PHP, or similar and see if you can learn something from them while you try out your canned tunes. The custom tunes might not have the polished appearance of a mass-produced product, custom tunes give profound significance to the term "where the rubber meets the road".

Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Just curious...

Have you run anyone elses tunes?
I have run Hypertech, and Superchip. Not here to bash them whatsoever because YES they work. I prefer DP by a long shot over those though

Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UP_There
I have run Hypertech, and Superchip. Not here to bash them whatsoever because YES they work. I prefer DP by a long shot over those though
Two programmers and one chip tuner...

I like trix cereal... I've never tried anything else, because trix is the best. I have nothing to base this claim on, but it is fact. If you argue this fact with me I will just call you a basher...

Haters...

Sorry.

I'm done.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I've run a couple of the programmers (Buly Dog, Superchips, and Predator). I've also run DP and Matt at Gearhead Performance. I've driven a couple of other trucks with PHP and TW. Haven't tried some of the newer players in the game.

I'm happy with DP. Heck, I'm happy with my truck all the way around.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 PM
StumpJumper00
Junior User
After installing the Edge evo CS I am quite impressed!!! We'll see how long term goes

Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Two programmers and one chip tuner...

I like trix cereal... I've never tried anything else, because trix is the best. I have nothing to base this claim on, but it is fact. If you argue this fact with me I will just call you a basher...

Haters...

Sorry.

I'm done.
now you're done. Trix are for kids

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Tuners like the Edge or Superchip work ok, but are limited in their power and function.

When dealing with a stock truck, ANY brand of programmer OR "custom tuner" is going to get the absolute SAME amount of power out of the truck. The power limit on a stock truck IS NOT a function of the tuning AT ALL. How is a programmer's function limited? There isn't a chip offered on the market today that can display PCM data or retrieve diagnostic trouble codes (not that laypeople have any need for doing their own diagnosis anyway.....). There is ONE that I know of that will read data, but it's not in the hands of any of us Powerstroke "common folk".

Originally Posted by woodnthings
Tuners are often marketed as a "one size fits all" and come with gauges, HP, and code reading ability. The gauge portion and the code reading is nice. The tunes they provide are pretty lame and just do not make full use of the potential the truck has.
I can say for certain that the company I work for has a library of "standard" tunes that people get when they order calibrations for a stock-ish truck. There's nothing "custom" about them except that they are always being refined a little bit here and there. I can almost guarantee that any "custom" tuner out there does the same thing. You tell them the PCM code and it becomes a 'copy and paste' ordeal into a customer's folder on the company's computer system.

Quick Reply: I know it's been asked but WHAT PROGRAMMER?