Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V/Modified B codes, step-by-step

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well I would have been if there was any left.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BuiltFordTough!
well I would have been if there was any left.
OUCH!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
swheeler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered all my parts yesterday. Spring swap this weekend.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
By the way for the rear springs I ordered the Pro Comp 50191 u-bolts from Amazon and it only cost me 50$ for all the rears. The were about 14" long, to long for my taste but i just cut them off.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
EX40
Senior User
For those with modded B's, is it necessary to use a longer center bolt in the pack or a matter of preference. I'm asking b/c I may go with oem u-bolts from the F250. I noticed once recent installer had a longer u-bolt made.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by EX40
For those with modded B's, is it necessary to use a longer center bolt in the pack or a matter of preference. I'm asking b/c I may go with oem u-bolts from the F250. I noticed once recent installer had a longer u-bolt made.

Yes a longer center bolt in needed, when you mod the B codes you will add the thicker EX spacers and the bottom two shortest leaves to the B pack so the original center bolt will not be long enough. If you are going to reuse you stock EX 2" block then the U-bolts for a F-350 with the taller 3.5/3.75" block should work out just fine.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by swheeler
Ordered all my parts yesterday. Spring swap this weekend.
Rock on my man!!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Yes, I needed a longer center "spring pack" bolt since the modded b has 2 additional leaves. Most suspension shops that can make U bolts can get you some. About $7 per at most.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Heres mine all done with brand new springs all the way around and 400ish lbs in the cargo area:

Old 02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
FELNTPSY
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
With NEW V's up front, and NEW B's out back, people reusing the OEM stock blocks have reported an almost level stance, with the rear-end that sits slightly lower than the front. Because of that front high, rear low stance, the 3.5" tapered block (some call it the 4" tapered block) was used to get the rear-end higher than the front, thereby succeeding in achieving the eye-appealing factory-like rake with the rear-end slightly higher.

When Modded B codes are used, you do not have to use the 3.5" tapered blocks, but some early spring swappers still ditched the OEM blocks for the 3.5" blocks. It made the rake more pronounced, but according to their posts, it was still eye-appealing.

In short, you can do the V code/B code swap (not modded B) and still use the stock block, but I wouldn't unless you like that rear-end lower look (I hate it) .

Stewart
Would this setup work to give a slight nose down rake and provide for towing?
Install V codes
Install Factory B-codes with stock Ex blocks
Install RAS to rear stock B-codes

I will add more later...but I found a surprise when I went to do my swap today....my rear springs are not factory and have already been swapped out at some prior point by a previous owner. It is an all spring setup with no block. They left the overload leaf on the top and just torched off the ends so it would not hit the e-brake caple. It has like 8 leaves in it, plus the top block and top overload. The "mass of leaves under the top block measure right at 3"....which is more than the measurement of the stock B codes. (I will post pics when able...I'm on the IPAD this weekend and don't have photo bucket upload capabilities.)

in a nutshell, I don't have stock ex springs or stock blocks to make the swap work. I do have new B codes and could order stock blocks and then do the RAS. Hopefully that would work.

Rear is currently at 39" with previous owners "custom not id'd spring swap"
Front with V codes on measures 39" (gained 1.25" over what stock was giving...but a noticeable difference in "tightness in front end")

******UPDATED******

Answered alot of my questions here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uspension.html

Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
termn8rx
Freshman User
Had the V code put on what a difference.Went from 1/2" from bumpstop to 2 1/2".Now very level.Had the trac bar in the back and they put it on also.The f250 bar was solid not hollow.Only 30 miles on it but it feels alot better.Did the urathane sway bar links on the front also.Got the back to do next just ran out of time.All the pics were a reall help.Keep up the good work.Also fixed the LIE-O-METER and compass.1 resister out one loose. Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FELNTPSY
Would this setup work to give a slight nose down rake and provide for towing?
Install V codes
Install Factory B-codes with stock Ex blocks
Install RAS to rear stock B-codes
This is exactly my setup. V codes front. Factory B codes rear with stock Ex blocks (2"). Then, installed RAS on rear. A bit more rake than I wanted, but it drives very nicely. I did this in November 2009, and have not touched it since.

We have had quite a few miles towing on this setup with no real issues.
Picture from this winter below shows the unloaded 'rake'.

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
f150crewcab
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
GET THE BOLTS: ...If you are modding the B's, you will need new U bolts AND new center spring pack bolts. Expect about $5 per center spring pack bolt (2 needed). I got the center bolts about 2" or so longer than stock (you can always cut them down after you mod the B's).
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Yes a longer center bolt in needed, when you mod the B codes you will add the thicker EX spacers and the bottom two shortest leaves to the B pack so the original center bolt will not be long enough. If you are going to reuse you stock EX 2" block then the U-bolts for a F-350 with the taller 3.5/3.75" block should work out just fine.
Is there a part number for the longer center spring pack bolt for the modified "B" spring? How long does it need to be (so I can tell the spring shop, if I have to go that route)?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by f150crewcab
Is there a part number for the longer center spring pack bolt for the modified "B" spring? How long does it need to be (so I can tell the spring shop, if I have to go that route)?
I don't recall the exact length...I just measured my existing (factory) springs, then added the width of 2 leaves (the "modded" part) plus 1/4".

If they are a little bit too long, no worries since the top plate has a hole in it. The leaves are all about the same thickness, so just adding 2 plus the 1/4" (to account for the spacers) worked fine for me. Now, if you go 1" or more longer, you could feasably have a bolt so long it can hit the underside somewhere (frame maybe - I don't have a pic in front of me to know what would be at risk). I also had a 4" cutting wheel on standby to trim it down if needed, but I never used it.

Also, the bolts I got were threaded top to bottom...if the ones you get aren't, you'll need to take that into account as well.

One note though - I needed a step bit to drill out the hole on the top plate. The factory spring pack bolt had what I can only call a "narrow wall" nut that fit inside the opening on the top plate. The replacement I got I could tell was thicker just from looking at it. I picked up one of those step bits (the fat one), and when I had the top plate off I just drilled it one size over existing - worked like a charm.

Be sure to paint the top plate after drilling but before install to cover the exposed metal from drilling if you are in a salt state.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
I picked up a 6" bolt from a spring shop and was ready to do some trimming on it but didn't need to do it. I probably could have gotten away with a 5" bolt.

I did the b-mod springs with the stock tapered X block.
Tim M

Quick Reply: V/Modified B codes, step-by-step