1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

NEWBIE TO F1 RESTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
cdichiar

This is a newbie intervention......

With all honor and respect - 'cause you seem as dumb as me - don't be dreaming of parts swaps and big changes. Start with what you know and can accomplish.

Get it running. It is much cheaper to scrounge or buy a few replacement parts than wade directly into the frame off project land. It is also highly educational. You'll get to fix the brakes - a fairly straight forward proposition if you know how, or have a buddy with a couple of tools and a willingness to coach you. You'll also want to clean the gas tank and fuel lines. Putting clean gas into a rusty tank = rusty gas and no worky.

If the electrical is functional - didn't see any turn signals - you might be able to run it enough to get a sense of the other stuff to do. These old beauties are like a lot of people and equipment. If you live with them for a while, you understand them much better and know what needs to be done.

Enjoy.

DW
Really good advice. There is plenty of work that can/should be done without jumping into the deep end before you have learned to swim. You can always blow it completely apart later, but meanwhile you can find out if this hobby is really for you. Right now you cannot really even imagine just how much work, time and devotion just the basics will require, and you are just starting your adult life, there is going to be other interests in your life that will interfere and the build will interfere with: girls, dating, high school, college, working, friends, sports, etc, etc, etc. Just getting it running and drivable is going to take at least a couple years of most all your spare time. Save yourself a lot of frustration (and your dad a lot of money), learn to walk one step at a time, not by trying to enter a marathon race right out of the gate. Does you school offer auto mechanics, welding classes? How about community colleges or adult ed classes?
You haven't told us anything about what type of work space and equipment you have and/or what experience your dad has and how much help he is planning to add beside just money?

Most of us have been thru what you are entering into, we are not trying to discourage you, just trying to save you from what we learned the hard way. You are lucky, you have the internet to connect with dozens of other experienced enthusiasts that are willing to help and advise you, most of us started in a void and had to learn everything by trial and error. I started at your age, but computers were only a scientific dream, Mig welders were 10's of thousands of dollars and there were hardly any aftermarket suppliers.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 PM
cdichiar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
Really good advice. There is plenty of work that can/should be done without jumping into the deep end before you have learned to swim. You can always blow it completely apart later, but meanwhile you can find out if this hobby is really for you. Right now you cannot really even imagine just how much work, time and devotion just the basics will require, and you are just starting your adult life, there is going to be other interests in your life that will interfere and the build will interfere with: girls, dating, high school, college, working, friends, sports, etc, etc, etc. Just getting it running and drivable is going to take at least a couple years of most all your spare time. Save yourself a lot of frustration (and your dad a lot of money), learn to walk one step at a time, not by trying to enter a marathon race right out of the gate. Does you school offer auto mechanics, welding classes? How about community colleges or adult ed classes?
You haven't told us anything about what type of work space and equipment you have and/or what experience your dad has and how much help he is planning to add beside just money?

Most of us have been thru what you are entering into, we are not trying to discourage you, just trying to save you from what we learned the hard way. You are lucky, you have the internet to connect with dozens of other experienced enthusiasts that are willing to help and advise you, most of us started in a void and had to learn everything by trial and error. I started at your age, but computers were only a scientific dream, Mig welders were 10's of thousands of dollars and there were hardly any aftermarket suppliers.
Haha I don't know where the idea came from that I am in high school or something...no I graduated from college and am in the Army. Luckily every military installation has fully equipped 20 bay garages for Soldiers to use. They have auto body shop, machine shop, and engine rebuild shop. Luckily I have evrything at my fingertips. I just can't see getting into something without getting all the way in. If I get myself into something I do it right and fully the first time, generally speaking. For good or bad that is how I am. Thank god I have you all and some good friends around me who know quite a bit about cars to help me. Fortunately I will not be using my father's money to do this project, the money will be coming out of my pockets, which aren't terribly deep but there is some money set aside for it.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Chris,
I think Ax got you mixed up with one of the other posts going on
now with a younger member just starting out.

Ben

Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
gregstith
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome aboard! Great site here. Bunch of info. One thing that really helps me is going back and looking at pics of what I started with. Seeing the progress really keeps me motivated. So everytime you accomplish something take some pics. And share.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sorry, I indeed mixed you up with a similar topic also going on with a 16 year old newbee.
Carry on!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
cdichiar
New User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Sorry, I indeed mixed you up with a similar topic also going on with a 16 year old newbee.
Carry on!
Oh ok Ax lol...I was scared. I was like i know I can do this and I know I am not in high school, who is this guy

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
cdichiar
New User
so back to the question of what the benefit is for putting a new front end in the car? I did some research on rear ends and I found out the local salvage yard has a good selection of explorer rear ends. I do not know which ratio I would want to get. Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Chris,
Here is what you are looking for - this pic is of the 8.8 inch axle & springs out of a 2001 Explorer - other years work also. Mine came with a 3.73 rear gear ratio - I think that might be a bit "tall" for a flathead - you'd get highway speed but lose a lot of low end uumph. Wait for experts to answer this one. Don't worry about the look of the axle - they clean up
just fine.

The 8.8 axle path brings a few challenges:
o The Wheel bolt pattern will change so unless you change the front axle you will be running different pattern of wheels on front & back - spare tire challenging.

o You will have to move the shock mounts to a new location once you
mount your 8.8 axle. (Grind off old ones & re-weld in a new location).

o We also flipped the springs in the back to give it a bit lower stance.

o You will now have an Explorer rear end & springs under your bed -
it will still hold cargo - it just rides a bit softer than the original suspension. (You go from an 8 spring pack to 3 springs).

o You will need to change your Brake set up a bit to accomodate rear
disc brakes. I changed to a Dual chamber master cylinder from a 70's mustang & you will have to add in a residual valve to accomodate drums in front & discs in back.

o If you don't already have an Emergency Brake the Explorer one fits our truck s pretty well. See if you can't get one of those from the same Explorer donor.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin

Attached Images