Sponsored by:

whats the normal trans temp 4r100?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:06 PM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Just a guess, but with O/D off there is lots of stuff in that transmission spinning faster than it would be if you let it shift into 4th gear. Why would you shift out of overdrive? Will it hold O/D if you let it?

Mine drug 15,000 lbs across the country in November, and I did it with O/D on nearly the entire time. Better than 95% of the time was spent at 2,100 RPMs at 60 MPH with the torque converter locked. There was no reason to lock out O/D because it wasn't shifting around frequently, and I saved lots of gas as a result.
In Overdrive it feels like i'm lugging it if there is a headwind or hills. You have 4.30 gears, that's got to be a big difference. The reason I asked my question is I would think that in 3rd, which I believe is direct drive, no gears doing any work, it would run cooler, I would think.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveandJennyP
In Overdrive it feels like i'm lugging it if there is a headwind or hills. You have 4.30 gears, that's got to be a big difference. The reason I asked my question is I would think that in 3rd, which I believe is direct drive, no gears doing any work, it would run cooler, I would think.
It's impossible to lug a fuel injected engine, either it will hold the gear or it won't. Mark may have more perspective on the temp vs. RPM discussion, but he regularly advises people to tow in overdrive if it can be done without shifting around constantly.

It

Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I have heard several people say their 4R100 runs cooler in overdrive than in third. I don't know why this would be the case. Third gear is direct drive and that should run cooler.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I have heard several people say their 4R100 runs cooler in overdrive than in third. I don't know why this would be the case. Third gear is direct drive and that should run cooler.

I am not sure either but mine always ran 15 to 20 degrees hotter in drive that overdrive. That is until I installed the 6.0 cooler now it stays about the same...

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
I am not sure either but mine always ran 15 to 20 degrees hotter in drive that overdrive. That is until I installed the 6.0 cooler now it stays about the same...
You can enforce that...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ghlight=derale

Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I run OD all the time (with train in sig) unless in repeated hills where the trans wants to keep downshifting.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM
stimm32
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhouse1938
Thanks Tom. I appreciate every idea out there. I like your approach. Here's my problem. Could this new gage be wrong? Somehow I'm thinking if the stock cooler is
plugged internally, then the tranny has something seriously wrong with it from what?
Shavings from metal inside, clutch debris, what? How does the cooler get plugged
inside without something bad inside which I don't even want to think about. As far as I can tell the tranny is working fine except for that heat gage. I wanted to remove the gage this morning and check it in a pan of boiling water. Probably more wasted time. OK, so what about this Tom.......if I disconnect the stock cooler, take it out, how can I check the flow through it? Pour some tranny oil in it and use an air
compressor and blow it out? I'm sure you can tell I'm not a very good mechanic, but I try. I hate those 85 to 100 dollar an hour labor bills when I can use my own time.
Well, it's Sunday morning and I want some coffee.

Appreciate your comments Tom. And I know what you mean about throwing money and parts at it. The shop mechs do that a lot these days. But, in my own defense I guess, I was figuring if the bypass valve only cost 50 bucks I could do that and still come out ahead of a shop charging me 80-100 dollars just to check it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but let's say I uninstall the stock cooler and it appears plugged. What would have caused that? Don't tell me bad news. LOL. Not being a mechanic I'm back to thinking 'stuff' from the tranny and that's a whole nother problem. So, you think I should uninstall and blow compressed air thru it and see how much pressure comes out the other end? Thanks again. Bob. That's the r as in Robert in my email address rhouse1938@comcast.net.
I just had this problem yesterday with my new Autometer gauge. Did you ground the gauge? In the instructions it says you don't have to because the sender will ground it, but GROUND THE GAUGE. It shows a really hot reading if it isn't grounded.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Nosedive1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
This same thing happens on mine, runs cooler in overdrive than in third. I know they are different transmissions, but the same also happened in my 06 F-150. I just thought if was a Ford thing since all of the other Fords I have owned were standard transmissions.