1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Question 98-00 4x4 pulse vacuum hub system

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 07:25 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts

Guys, my '99 has the vacuum pulse 4x4 system which is prone to failure. I heard that in '01 Ford changed the 4x4 system on the Ranger and now the hubs are permanently locked and the system disengages at the differential, making it more reliable. Is this true?

Old 04-21-2003, 07:52 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Question 98-00 4x4 pulse vacuum hub system

WX,

Glad you asked about that. I've been trying to dig up some information on '98-'00 Rangers with the pulse vacuum 4 wheel drive systems. I recently came across some interesting info which related directly to your question. Sometime late the '00 model year Ford switched from the PVH system to the "constant engagement" system.

Also, note the interesting link to a company in Brazil that supposedly offers replacements hubs for the PVH Rangers, which are something that, up to now, everyone had told me you can only get through a Ford dealership.

And, in another Ranger Station thread a member (jasonhelmsing) had this to say about PVH which I found to be quite intriguing:

"The vacum hub problem can be fixed really easily for those who are concerned. simply take them off, take a couple screwdrivers and put them in the notches and turn the top plastic piece off. take out the white spring assembly and the ring gear, take the bottom spring out and set it aside. disassemble the white spring piece. take one of the white plastic peices and place it aside. Put your ring gear back in without the bottom spring. Then take the spring and one white plastic peice and put it together. with the whie piece down, put it in. ( make sure to leave out the other plastic piece.) Then put the top of the hub back on. Then the hub itself back on and there you go. the axle will be constantly locked in. just like the post 99 rangers. I work at a dealership and the axles are identicle except the hub and shafts so it shouldn't cause any problems. I've had mine that way for almost thirty-thousand miles with no trouble."

What do you think, pretty interesting stuff or what?

Old 04-21-2003, 10:32 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master

Yes, very interesting. Once again you provide good info. Thanks!

The reason I ask is because the hub issues were almost convincing me to replace this truck with another brand if/when I have trouble with them. But since Ford has fixed the problem on their own, I'm happy to know that. (Now, if we can just convince them to change that stupid door ajar switch).

Thanks a lot.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:52 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend

Considering another brand of pickup!? Forget about it!

I'm gonna keep looking for info related to what I posted above and to confirm if the constant engagement "workaround" is something that is worthwhile for guys like us who have the pulse vacuum arrangement. Which leads me to my next question:

What do you think about this constant engagement "conversion"? I assume that you would still have to use the transfer case to actually engage the front wheel drive line, am I right? And what about the vacuum ends at the front hubs.....I assume you would have to cap/seal them to prevent leakage that would affect the overall vacuum system. Does anybody follow my thinking on this?

Last edited by Rockledge; 04-21-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:53 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master

Well, I assume that the way the new Rangers work is this:

The hubs are locked permanently. The front differential has an electronic motor in it that engages the front drive shafts when the user selects 4-high or 4-low. The transfer case also has an electronic system that engages it when the 4-wheel-drive selection is made.

If this indeed is how the new system works, then it is identical to the system that GM started using in it's C/K series trucks back in 1988 (and was still used until 1998, maybe still in use today).

This would solve our hub problem, because obviously they would be locked in all the time.

However, I did have problems with the Chevy Z71 I used to own even with the permanent hublocks. The problem was, the motor in the front differential was gas operated. Therefore, over time the gas would leak out, and on a random day the 4x4 system would fail completely. GM fixed the problem by replacing that motor with one that was electric rather than gas-operated. Still, with a motor sticking out of the front differential, water could get into it or it could get snagged on something off-road and disable the system.

So the point is, the "new" system that Ford is using is not bullet-proof. But it does sound like it would be a BETTER system. We have 3 places for a problem to occur on our 98-99s. The new ones can only have a problem in 2 potential areas. (If you had a manual transfer case shifter, it would only be 1 potential area problem...the front diff.) I noticed that even the '03 FX4 trucks have shift-on-the-fly ***** now, rather than the manual shifters.

So I think I'll stick with the Ranger. I might pick up a newer one before the year is over. Mine has 76K miles on it now, and it still runs strong, but it makes me paranoid because when something does go wrong at this point, it will be expensive.

Oh, also, I think our trucks are permanently connected at the front differential. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I think when we hit 4-high, the transfer case connects and the front hubs are locked in. If this is the case, the conversion you are talking about would be hard on the driveline of the vehicle because then the front driveshaft would be spinning all the time. It would also decrease gas mileage. So you'd be better off just buying an '01 or newer model with the whole new 4x4 system. And yeah, the vacuum lines would have to be plugged or something if you did try the conversion.

Last edited by WXboy; 04-21-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:42 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case amyones is interested, the hubs on my '98 failed at 87K miles. Cost $1055.00 to replace at dealer.(310.00 ea. plus labor) That was its first repair of any significance, although I have replaced a leaking trans gasket at least 5 times, most under warranty. Of course now my blend door is failing...

-Jim

Old 04-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend

Originally posted by WXboy
....Oh, also, I think our trucks are permanently connected at the front differential. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I think when we hit 4-high, the transfer case connects and the front hubs are locked in. If this is the case, the conversion you are talking about would be hard on the driveline of the vehicle because then the front driveshaft would be spinning all the time. It would also decrease gas mileage.....
That's the part that I have reservations about, as well.

On a related note, after you get a chance to take a look at the pictures and descriptions from that hub company in Brazil, http://www.avm.com.br/products4.htm , note that they offer MANUAL hubs for 98+ Rangers. If we were to assume that this is correct and not a typo, then wouldn't be possible to install the manuals, plug the hub vacuum lines as needed, and then be all set? That way you would not have to have the front drive line spinnig all the time becaue you would have the option of disengaging the hubs at the wheels.

bcjim, I don't think paying a grand for the new hubs is that bad a deal, considering I heard of people paying 3-4 hundred more for the same thing. Also, just wondering, do you do a lot of offroading or towing using 4 wheel drive?

Old 04-21-2003, 08:02 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master

Rockledge...that link you posted said that the model 472 (or something like that) would work as a conversion kit for our trucks. On that site, I see a listing for the "400 series" hubs...but there is not a specific picture of the particular model that is supposed to fit our trucks.

So even though the one in the picture is a manual locking hub, maybe the specific setup for our trucks that they sell is not a manual locker. Could it be?

If you are right, and they do sell manual locking hubs for 98+ Rangers, that would be SWEET. I wish someone on here had some experience with them and knew for sure.

Also, I was browsing The Ranger Station, and I heard someone say that the '01+ Rangers are ALSO connected permanently at the front differential like ours. If this is the case, I guess it's not that hard on the driveline afterall...at least Ford doesn't think so. I think that may be why the fuel economy rating on the 4.0L dropped in '01.

Old 04-21-2003, 11:22 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Thumbs up Question 98-00 4x4 pulse vacuum hub system

Thanks for feedback. Like I said, I'm gonna keep my eyes and ears open for stuff regarding '98-'00 Ranger front hub options. And I think I'm gonna try contacting that company in Brazil to see what they have to say. I'll post back if I come across anything interesting.

Old 04-22-2003, 07:58 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rockledge,
I use the 4X4 fairly regularly, but its mostly in beach sand (and occasionally snow) so usually there isnt a lot of what I would call serious stress to the system. I rarely tow anything. I could tell the right side had gone bad some time ago when it started making an odd noise. When I took it in they said both sides needed to be replaced.

Another thing maybe you and/or WxBoy could comment on is tires, it sounds like we all have similar trucks, mine is a 98 with the off road package (16" wheels 235/70), do either of you have larger tires or have you upsized from stock? I want bigger ones, mainly to make sand driving easier, you "float" better with more tread, but I dont want to lift it or anything like that. Any ideas, sizes, brands you like? Since my last set were free courtesy of the Wilderness AT fiasco, Im willing to spend more than I usually might...

-Jim

Old 04-22-2003, 08:36 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master

Bcjim...no, I have the factory size tires. 245/70 on a 16" wheel. Right now I have Pirellis, but they are the worst tires I have ever owned. My advice would be to stick close to stock size tires, since your transmission and instrument clusters depend on it. Also, pay a little extra for a quality tire, like BFGoodrich or something like that. You won't be disappointed.

The new Rangers don't have these pulse-vacuum hubs, so I'm going to invest in a newer model when I can afford it...hopefully later this year.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend

Originally posted by bcjim
......mine is a 98 with the off road package (16" wheels 235/70), do either of you have larger tires or have you upsized from stock? I want bigger ones, mainly to make sand driving easier, you "float" better with more tread, but I dont want to lift it or anything like that. Any ideas, sizes, brands you like? Since my last set were free courtesy of the Wilderness AT fiasco, Im willing to spend more than I usually might.....
Jim,

I run 265/75 R15s on my Ranger, but that's how it came from the factory, the wheels/tires were part of the option package.

Your best bet is to start a new thread and call it "Best Tires for Ranger in Sand" or something along those lines. You'll probably get some decent feedback from the "tire guys" that way.

Last edited by Rockledge; 04-22-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:04 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master

I was reading through some things on the Internet today. Some things I read said that the pulse-vacuum hublock (PVH) system was patented and introduced because it allows silent engagement of the 4x4 system, it can be switched in and out at any highway speed, and it has no delay in operation during cold weather. It also said that Ford expects that maintenance costs will be reduced because of the simplicity of the system. Some Ford vehicles still use the system, and the 2003 Rangers may have it (that part I'm unsure of).

From reading this, it gave me another viewpoint of the PVH system. It also DOES improve fuel economy. The Ranger doesn't do any better on fuel than the F-150 since they switched 4x4 systems in 2000. Mine, however, is consistently getting 17 mpg around town / some highway. I got 20.6 mpg on a road trip last weekend. With my combo., that is incredible.

So my thinking is this: So far I've been going on what people have told me on here about the PVH 4x4 system. I have a friend who four-wheeled in his '98 Ranger and he says he never had trouble with those hubs. He later totalled the truck unfortunately. I have 76,000 miles on mine and the 4x4 system worked perfectly all winter long. So until I have major problems with this truck, I'm going to just stick with it.

I guess everything in life has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by WXboy; 04-22-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend

Double Post Deleted

Last edited by Rockledge; 04-22-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Thumbs up Question 98-00 4x4 pulse vacuum hub system

OK, here's the latest breaking news on the PVH hub front. The guy (GTwannabe) who posted the link to the hub company in Brazil contacted the company about the manual hub replacements, as did I. The response he got was similar to the reply they gave me, and it sounds like good news!

Here is my email and the response I got:

Dear "Rockledge",

``grazie`` for your request. If you do not want any problems never more, we suggest to use our manual hub model 470. It is absolutely interchangeable with vacuum one. It will be available in your country from July 2003 at Superwinch . E-mail: thompson@superwinch.com

Best Regards

Luciano Russo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: 1998 Ford Ranger Replacement Hubs

I am interested in replacement Hubs for my 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4. It has the Pulse Vacuum Hub system. What can I use as a replacement? Manual Hubs? Automatic Hubs?

Please send me information on any of your products that will work with my truck.

Thank you,

"Rockledge"

I gotta say, things are looking up!

Quick Reply: Question 98-00 4x4 pulse vacuum hub system