Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Need some help on first F-250 V10 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM
buzter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help on first F-250 V10 Purchase

I am looking for a truck that I can use to plow my driveway only in the winter and haul the camper in the summer. Maybe occasional driving otherwise.

I am looking now at an 2005 F250 crew cab XLT FX4 with a V10, It has an axle code of 4N which I believe is 4.10 limited slip rear end. The owner is looking at a newer 1/2 ton truck. The truck has 169000 miles on it. Not much is known on service. I can see that the driveshaft bearing hanger was replaced, something on the fuel end that I found out on carfax. and one front tie rod end.

Things I know about the truck, it needs tires, alignment, not sure if sparkplugs or coils have been changed, jacked it up and ball joints seem tight, looks to be factory U-joints all the way back, practically no rust on the truck sides or underneath, bumpers are painted and have some rust. has a dent front drivers by F250 emblem that needs fixed and dent and scrape at drivers rear wheel well that needs fixed. Otherwise body not bad at all. Has camper mirrors, heated with turn and cleareance lights built in. keyless entry, built in brake controller, drivers seat has two small tears but covered by seat covers. engine light is on but owner stated it is from the evap hose being disconnected, didn't bring my puter to hook it up to the truck so I am going off what he says. Can see one stud busted off the exhaust manifolds, drivers side rear. Also has hideaway ball in box, he stated he used it a couple times to haul cows which was about 20 miles round trip. Previous owner was a sales man and drove it on his route, hence the miles, and pulled a camper the current owner thought anyway. No drips seen under truck at all, but oil was about a quart low. transfer case oil seemed good and smelled fine.

Drove the truck seems to drive good, shift good, slight pinging noise when excellerating..possible spark plugs or coils? Also can feel a vibration in the seat at times, when you let off the gas it goes away.

Owner is looking at getting $10,200 out of the truck, I stated if there were new tires on the truck I would possible be interested in the truck at that price. What do you guys think as this is the first 3/4 ton and V10 truck I have purchased, is it a good buy or stay away. Thanks in advace for all of your great knowledge.

Not sure if I guy should buy low milage or newer year truck. know the 05's have the new 3valve moter...is that something to look to go toward?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM
buzter
Senior User
I should add, I am mechanically able, but some of this new ***** scares me. Like the plug issues, exhaust manifold studs..and the milage this one has. Give me an old 350 engine and no problem. I am uploading Photos and will post a link as soon as i have them uploaded. thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM
buzter
Senior User
Here is a link to the photos of the truck.

2005 Ford F250 Crew Cab Short Box V10 - a set on Flickr

Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That year has had issues with the plugs breaking off in the head. There is a removal tool and a TSB/Procedure from Ford on the plug issues. Your looking a little over $100 for updated one piece plugs. The dealer will probably want a minimum of $250 for the change. If you have wrenched on things before I don't see why you can't change the plugs yourself and save a lot of coin in the process. The COP (coil on plug) setup is actually pretty simple.

Also the earlier production 5R110 trans had an issue with a snap ring in the trans. If it didn't rear its head in 169k miles I would say its probably ok. The manifolds studs can also break and cause leaks at the exhaust manifolds but a lot of engines can have that issue. Most of the same things you would look at in any used vehicle apply to this truck also.

The truck looks to me like it was used as a work truck and not really taken care of like it should. The truck/engine are for the most part pretty solid but with any used vehicle you never know. I think I'd try to get some knocked of the price yet. If he would take the truck into a dealer for a trade in he would more than likely get well under $10k for it as is.

If I'd be buying that truck I'd change all the fluids, filters and spark plugs for sure. Even if you have plug issues and need the manifold studs replaced the job is not really that high dollar especially if you can do the work yourself.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM
buzter
Senior User
so are you thinking priviate party price this might not be a bad price? Or would you shy away from it? I just don't know if the higher milage is something to maybe to stay away from on this truck..I have found some other older models 00-02 with lower miles bout $8-10,000 should a guy buy older with lower miles? I know maitenence is king but apples to apples is what I am talking.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Well everything is going to be older on an 00'-02' (obviously) and even with lower miles the chances of having issues tends to increase with age. For the price point the 00'-02 truck would still not be a low mileage truck.

The truck you looking at averaged about 28k miles a year which means it probably saw longer trips with a lot of miles at or close to highway speeds which tends to equate to less hours on the vehicle. So I wouldn't really let the mileage on the 05' scare you off too much.

The 5 speed trans and extra power of the 3V will be nicer than the 04' under trucks for sure. I would just point out whats wrong with it (alignment, tires, broken manifold stud, big dent and etc) to try and get a lower price, even though the current asking price is not outrageous. With a little money put into the truck it should provide you with a lot of service yet.

I just know dealers usually screw you pretty hard with trade in value.(I'm assuming this is a private party sale) You can see what the truck lists in KBB and compare to the other trucks in your area.

The spark knock (ping) can be gotten rid of with fresh plugs and/or a good tune. Even in stock form with everything in perfect shape these trucks can get a little spark knock from time to time. I blame a lot of that on junk ethanol fuel we have to use.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
buzter
Senior User
I hear ya on the junk gas.

The guy has a loan on it still and his banker will let it go for 10,200 and roll the rest over or whatever..I told him I would maybe go the 10,200 if he put new tires on it..I would really like to do the alignment as I would like to know if anything else is wrong with the front end, and the alignment basic is only about 50..so if he would do tires..probably 7-800 i thought that might be a good deal, as private party low pricing is around $12000 so he is below that at the $10,200.

What do you think about the oil being a quart low...not a big issue?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
buzter
Senior User
I did find another 05 F250 Crew Lariet which is about in the same condition and need of tires, ball joints one side & , tie-rod end one side and also needs the evap canistor with 151000 miles, havent had a chance to look at it as it is about 4hrs away, but they are at 11,000 for that one...havent tried to deal with them on price..but with it being a lariet..and about in the same boat as far as what I need to fix...hmmm...but I can't see going over 9ish for either with me having to fix and replace everything on them. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
buzter
Senior User
Kelly Blue Book Pricing

Trade in
Excellent 10,894
Very Good 10,644
Good 10,094
Fair 8,694

Private Party
Excellent 14,619
Very Good 14,119
Good 13,719
Fair 12,269

So at 10,200 he is below Fair Private party price by $2000 and right about at Good for Trade in...and that would be with New tires at the 10,200 price.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
dkf
Hotshot
What do you think about the oil being a quart low...not a big issue?
If its a quart low after 250 miles yes its an issue. After 3000 or 5000 miles nope not an issue.

Kelly Blue Book Pricing

Trade in
Excellent 10,894
Very Good 10,644
Good 10,094
Fair 8,694

Private Party
Excellent 14,619
Very Good 14,119
Good 13,719
Fair 12,269
Yeah its within the ballpark of KBB. I think that private party is a little high with what it needs but me and KBB don't always see eye to eye. Its worth the buyer says its worth in the end. If you can get the truck for 10,200 with a set of tires thrown in thats not a bad deal.

Rolling over payments always seemed kinda stupid to me. Just take the money you get paid for selling the truck and pay the loan off.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 PM
buzter
Senior User
Yeah..not sure on how long it went to get the quart low...

I hear ya on the loan end..pay it off then go and get your new one..I'm not one for even liking to have a loan...but some times ya gotta.

So how long will these trucks engines last for? I know it depends on maitenance..but say like this truck..where its a ??? how long would you reckon?

Thanks again dfk for all your great input

Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
dkf
Hotshot
There are lot of variables that can effect how long and engine lasts. There have been a few cases of 2V and 3V modulars going 1 million miles however that is far from typical. I'd say you should not have a problem getting 250k at minimum out of the engine.

Some reading
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...355-000-a.html

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
buzter
Senior User
That is funny you post that article..as I just read that one last night...good one to read though..alot of good info on this site..thanks again.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
buzter
Senior User
Found out some more info on the truck.

Called ford dealership where first owner had work done

every single oil change done there up to 121,000

had steering leak, was the front shimmy shock replaced 103,417

evap purge valve replaced 119,000

alternator 78,000

AbS Sensor replaced 75,000

tune up including air/fuel filter and all plugs 91,000

so up to 121000 it has had some good service at the dealer

Also I just found out that the person I was looking to purchase the truck from traded the truck in. He gave the dealer my name and the deal we were working on. I called the dealer and told them about our deal. Dealer stated that he would put new tires on truck and align plus the title trasfer for 10,125, which is below the 10,200 I previously had thought about spending. I stated if they put new tires on, align the truck, run it thru their inspection, and change the oil, I would probably take the truck....what do you guys think...go for it..again the truck has 169000 miles on it, and has a couple body issues, which I can fix the blems in the body easily enough...good deal...go for it???? Dam I'm nervous

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
dkf
Hotshot
That sounds pretty good to me. Its good you took the time digging up the history on it.

As I figured the dealer more than likely gave the guy well under $10k for the truck. If the dealer can do the alignment, new tires, oil change and etc and sell it for a little over $10k while making a profit the PO didn't get a whole lot for it. Dealers low ball the hell out of trade ins.

The truck is due for another plug change but at least you know they were done before.

I'd ****** it up before its sold.

Quick Reply: Need some help on first F-250 V10 Purchase