Sponsored by: DP Tuner

XL to lariat conversion???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 PM
nick7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XL to lariat conversion???

whats up guys i got a 2001 f250 XL 7.3 with manual everything. I want to convert the entire interior to the lariat interior. Im sure people to this all the time, if you have done it how hard was it? do you have any pics?
thanks guys

Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by nick7.3
whats up guys i got a 2001 f250 XL 7.3 with manual everything. I want to convert the entire interior to the lariat interior. Im sure people to this all the time, if you have done it how hard was it? do you have any pics?
thanks guys
Umm... Do you want just the lariat look or the lariat functionality? Either way its VERY expensive to do yourself.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You would be best to have a Lariat donor truck to do this. You would be able to use all to brackets, wire harnesses and components off of it. It would be a pretty big job and depending on your skills may be difficult. Having a full wiring diagram would be a must!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 AM
nick7.3
Junior User
well i mean i want to convert my windows to power and the door locks, plus put in a tilt stearing wheel. I really want the leather interior, but i only need the driver and passenger seat and center consol. Ive been looking on ebay for interior components, and there ALOT to choose from. Installing it all i may bring my truck to my buddys diesel shop, hes good with fords. I just was interested if anyone else has taken on this task. Ill take pics as i go!!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
This thread just makes me appreciate my Lariat all the more. I wish you luck with finding all the parts you need.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anything is possible with enough $$ and time. The trick would be a good source of parts that you can allocate for the entire conversion. I assume that all these trucks have the provisions to plug in the missing harnesses and so forth but I don't know that for certain. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. I'm sure there are others that would like to see this.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:04 PM
puller45
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
This thread just makes me appreciate my Lariat all the more. I wish you luck with finding all the parts you need.
What he said. I'm glad I was able to find a good Lariat when I bought mine.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
I didn't get a Lariat, but my XLT was loaded with every XLT option available, so about the only things I don't have are the 4wd, 6-CD stereo, automatic climate controls, fog lights, and auto-dimming rear view mirror. I love the power options and leather interior.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you would have to have the wire harness's and pcm to make it work. plus the door panels and to get the harness out of the dash is a pain to do. would take more than a weekend job.
mine is a XLT and all it is missing from the Lariat is over head readout, 6-CD stereo, auto AC, fog lights, leather seat, and i hate leather seats.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
nick7.3
Junior User
i think what im going to do is just get lariat leather seats and center consol, leather is really the only thing i want haha. I have a bench seat now and it is the most uncomfortable thing in the world.

When getting the lariat leather seats with the heat option. Is there any wires that hook up through the floor? or is the components under the chair its self, all that i need??

Old 01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The Lariats have power seats and possibly heated seats. I imagine all you would need is power to the seat. It does come from under the seat.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Heated seats... don't have that either, but will be adding an aftermarket kit whenever I replace the seat covers.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
nick7.3
Junior User
i also got another question. Are cab light hard to instal on a XL model??

Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
cutlass
Elder User
I have an E99 XL that I've converted to XLT with the help of a donor 99 Lariat wiring harness, GEM Module, and fuse blocks. It now has power locks, windows, mirrors, cab light wiring (haven't the guts to drill in my roof yet to install the lights). This was a very very involved project and I suggest anyone doing this be a very committed person with a great deal of patience. It will certainly take more than a week of work to get this done.

The key to this which I've already seen stated here is that the donor truck must have all of the options your end product truck will have. For example: Early 1999 F350, 2wd, automatic, 4 wheel abs, crew cab, 7.3L, power windows, locks, mirrors, power seats, overhead console, cab lights, same tow package, auto headlamps, DRL's, driver's side air bag only, etc. If not, then at least get one from a truck with additional options you won't end up with rather than one that didn't have an option you are wanting to add. I would get all sensors, relays, engine compartment wiring, possibly the chasis wiring, and plug in modules from the donor truck if possible also.

You MUST have the GEM module re-programmed once you have it all in there too. If you decide you don't want DRL's or auto headlamps or the donor tuck was 4wd and yours is 2wd, that can all be fixed with the GEM module re-programming. An important note here is that you need to have the VIN # from the donor truck for the GEM re-programming to be accomplished. If not, you will have to hunt down a truck that had all of the options of the donor truck and plug that VIN# in.

Good luck if you decide to do this!

Drake

Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
cutlass
Elder User
By the way, does anyone know if the E99 or Late99 Lariats had lighted sun visor mirrors on either passenger or driver's side?

Thanks,
Drake

Quick Reply: XL to lariat conversion???