1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

off topic ready to give up !

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
. . . fired it up , i got no clutch { have no idea it was fine just 3 weeks ago when i started on the brakes again for nthhh time } and something rattling away especially when ya push in on the pedal
That is an old truck's revenge for not driving her enough. Your clutch disk is probably rusted to the flywheel (you desert dwellers can ignore this post). Since you were working on your brakes make sure that you bleed your system and that they work OK. Then try starting her in first gear. Then with the clutch in, power brake. Use part throttle and stab the brake pedal. It is the short, sharp brake applications that will break it free. You might have to do this a dozen times.

Hope that works for you.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I've got the credentials to comment on the subject. I've always had a lot of projects going on at the same time and when I was younger I managed to get a little done on each of them on a fairly regular basis. Along with my gearhead interests, I also enjoy woodworking, motorcycling (touring), avid camper, and the list goes on. You get spread pretty thin trying to delve in all things of interest and doesn't even take into consideration that life just gets in the way. Family, work, and financial matters also dictate what you can accomplish on your projects.

My 55 has graced my garage for over 20 years without seeing the road during any of that time. I picked this truck up in the mid 80's and it grew roots in my shop immediately. It was going to be a daily driver, parts chaser until I fully realized what a piece of junk I had. The thought crossed my mind several times to scrap the truck and finish some of my other projects. I had a very customized 70 El Camino in the works when the F100 came along. Had it not been for my wife the F100 might have already become a tool box or some other piece down at Harbor Freight. So at her insistence the Ford got pushed off to the side for later consideration.

Over the years, I did do a few things to it, but I didn't work on it with any conviction. I built several other cars, built all the kitchen cabinets in my house, toured on a motorcycle around the USA, spent weekends on the lake with my boat, and camped at every opportunity.

Then one day, I decided that this is all too much. I've sold the boat, I only have one motorcycle (for now), got rid of all the project cars sitting on the sidelines, even sold all my cattle, and the F100 is the lone automotive project in my shop. I decided that I will do something on the truck everyday no matter how big or small the task. I think the satisfaction of getting small tasks completed helps me to keep chipping away at the goal of a running, driving truck.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Even when you do finish them they are always asking for attention, they're almost like kids, always wanting your time and money.
I don't think we talk about that much on here; once you "finish" then you are into Maintenance mode. And these old trucks need a lot more routine maintenance. Oiling your door hinge pins, greasing the chassis, adjusting the brakes... I'm already getting to a mode where I have to replace some stuff that I replaced during the rebuild.

I like Havi's description of Car Guys! I have always limited my self to one car project and one motorcycle project at a time. But I had a Triumph motorcycle project that languished in boxes in the garage for over 10 yrs. I finally decided to finish it last year. Got it all together, rode it a little, and realized after all that time and effort, I didn't want it! Sold it two days after I realized that. At least I made money on it...

Old 01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best inspiring thread ever !

Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey pete i'll try that after i climb under and drop the dust cover
and look . way my lucks been going the brakes will fail again and i'll go through the garage wall !!!!!! bye the way iron sides isnt a truck ....... she's a passenger - mobile ...............Name:  52 customline.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  117.8 KB

Old 01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
had another bad day ........ don't worry this isnt the truck and cars ........ i got so ticked i had a mind meltdown ...............Name:  my mind just blew up.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  48.2 KB i am begining to think i am just cursed !!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Kevin,
I have been taking a 20mg happy pill for quite a few years! Last doc visit, I told him it was time to up the dose! now it's 30mg...Everybody around me says it helps...

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish you a little closer, I would try to help.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
no happy pills !!!!!!!! good god i'm goofy enough without help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm only slightly p.o.'d so we'll be fine .......eventually LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Name:  slightly pissed off.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  77.2 KB

Old 01-27-2012, 11:07 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Hey Kevin, maybe a nice facial, hair cut and full body wax would make you feel better, I'm sure it would help rest of us if you did.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:06 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
naw ........ people are frightened of me { except for the grandkids } when i look scruffy and they leave me alone ....................

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"i'm only slightly p.o.'d so we'll be fine .......eventually LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I dunno, you still look pretty upset to me!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
I think I've got the credentials to comment on the subject. I've always had a lot of projects going on at the same time and when I was younger I managed to get a little done on each of them on a fairly regular basis. Along with my gearhead interests, I also enjoy woodworking, motorcycling (touring), avid camper, and the list goes on. You get spread pretty thin trying to delve in all things of interest and doesn't even take into consideration that life just gets in the way. Family, work, and financial matters also dictate what you can accomplish on your projects.

My 55 has graced my garage for over 20 years without seeing the road during any of that time. I picked this truck up in the mid 80's and it grew roots in my shop immediately. It was going to be a daily driver, parts chaser until I fully realized what a piece of junk I had. The thought crossed my mind several times to scrap the truck and finish some of my other projects. I had a very customized 70 El Camino in the works when the F100 came along. Had it not been for my wife the F100 might have already become a tool box or some other piece down at Harbor Freight. So at her insistence the Ford got pushed off to the side for later consideration.

Over the years, I did do a few things to it, but I didn't work on it with any conviction. I built several other cars, built all the kitchen cabinets in my house, toured on a motorcycle around the USA, spent weekends on the lake with my boat, and camped at every opportunity.

Then one day, I decided that this is all too much. I've sold the boat, I only have one motorcycle (for now), got rid of all the project cars sitting on the sidelines, even sold all my cattle, and the F100 is the lone automotive project in my shop. I decided that I will do something on the truck everyday no matter how big or small the task. I think the satisfaction of getting small tasks completed helps me to keep chipping away at the goal of a running, driving truck.
Man I think you hit it on the head with this comment. As of today I plan to sign on to your ideal.