Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

361/allison ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The MT-42 is obsolete and even in its day was a weak problem plagued trans. The value is maybe $250.00 or more to the right person.
FYI - He would not have the MT42 behind a 330/361/391, he would have a MT30 for the 330/361 (weak for a 361, but cheaper to purchase new, and in limited GCWR weight applications with a 361, adequate) or the MT40 (much better) for the 361/391. The 42's were used behind the 401/477/534 (of course, the 30 and 40 series were all based of the same design, just assembled with different strength parts to meet the demands of input speed, input torque, input horsepower and total GCWR) At least as installed and used by Ford. Ford used the 41's behind the diesel by the way. Yes there were 43's, but I see no evidence that they were used by Ford, but it is possible.

I have no idea of what series 30/40 Transmatics as Ford called them were used behind the older Y blocks, so if someone would like to post that info I would be greatful to add that to my knowledge!

I cannot say that the 42's were any more problem plagued than any other transmission including manuals, if used within the GCWR limits and properly driven.

In fact, in our small fleet, in hilly country, we have less problem with automatics than we do manuals. We got really tired of putting 3-6k clutches in manual trucks. and yes, just like the Torque Converter is part of a automatic, the clutch is part of a manual. (unless you have a very old - old school fluid drive)

But of course in this case we are dealing with Transmissions that have not been put into Ford trucks since 1972.... Old school as old school as can be. AT540 (cheap light duty) and the later MT600 and 700 series were used in later trucks, the later MT series were better than the previous MT30/40 series no doubt.

As to the value, I am not sure the poster had asked that question, but since it has been brought up I will add my OPINION, which any are free to agree or disagree with... a manual is WORTHLESS to me in any truck, with one exception, true heavy duty transmmission as installed in Semis, even then you have the ergonomic damage inflicted upon the drivers body as well as the clutch issues for poor drivers. So that makes me the right person to put the value of a MT42 as priceless, if I owned a larger C series with a 401-534 engine.

Physical damage to the body from shifting and clutching is a real cost as well, just as carpel tunnel syndrome has turned out to be a real cost to companies.

I personally suffer greatly from years of shifting balky, stiff, long throw light / medium duty transmissions and depressing overly stiff, non power assisted, overly long throw clutches. if I can save even one youngster the pain of laying awake at night, then that is why I post as I do.

Perhaps if I lived in Iowa where it is flat and not hilly or in a area where one does not spend 3 hours to go 40 miles in stop and go grinding traffic I would be in better shape, but the simple fact is that if all of the trucks I have driven had been properly equipped with automatics, I would not have the joint damage that I have.

20 years ago the head of Navistar said it best, the ONLY reason to have a manual transmission is to keep the driver awake. (and yes he took much heat for that very true, but disagreeable to many statement)

Again, just food for though, some opinion, some fact, agree or disagree your choice.

David