Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change from Automatic to manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 PM
scojen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change from Automatic to manual

I have a 95 F150 XLT extended cab with a automatic transmission I have fould a 5 speed manual out of a 1987 ford truck in good condition and want to stick this in my 95 the automatic is about wore out 350,000 on the truck original motor and trans.

Info on transmission
Ford ZF
model S 5-42
ZF parts list no. 307 050 012
transmission serial no. 8021033
FORD PART NO. E8T A-7003-AAB

Aside from having to find a slave cylinder and a pedal setup in this a real pain to do and will my current 2 piece drive shaft setup mate up with this transmission.

Scott

Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Some other items you will need will be the harness that connects the ECU to the trans, from the manual transmission as well. You will also need the Computer from the manual transmission truck to go into yours. Drive lines will be the next item. Depending on if you have 4x4 or not, you will need both front and rear.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That zf5 has an integral bell housing, it needs to be out of a truck with the same bell housing as your truck. Do you know what engine was in the truck it came out of? WHat engine do you have? 300 I6, 302 and 351w are all the same, then theres the 460 one and a different one for diesels.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
And there's no ecu for the manual trans, I'm not sure what year the 150's went to electronic trans but there are issues if you currently have an electronic trans, though I believe it will work fine but cause a CEL.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
This is for 4x4 but this is a pic somebody sent me many years ago before I did my converion, this really helped me. It shows what all you need:

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
mpc07005
Senior User
You will need the Light Duty/internal slave ZF for your small block engine, the p/n indicates that is what you have. Your ECU will throw a CEL/trans codes if you have an EO4D (IIRC, of course), AOD or C6 have no issues there. The trans is also longer, so you will need new shafts or to cut your old driveshaft(s). The holes for mounting the pedal should/might be there, so get the pedals if you can, but go with a new MC, line, and new pattern slave (the Motorcraft one, not an autozone/napa/carquest brand).
-Mike

Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
The E4OD trans is longer than the ZF5.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:59 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by jas88
This is for 4x4 but this is a pic somebody sent me many years ago before I did my converion, this really helped me. It shows what all you need:

^^ THIS ^^
<!-- -->

Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Weberman3
Senior User
I always love when I ask people if there transmission is AOD or E4OD when im in the shop.. I ask question after question... then I give up and ask them if it has a button on the shifter.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Rx7toys
Senior User
I would like to say, that I recently did this swap, and although the part is shown in the picture, you definitely need the metal plate that goes between the motor and transmission, it is different between the auto and manual.

I had my transmission bolted in, and went to install the starter, and discovered the issue..! The starter is different too.

I am currently running the E4OD engine computer, and it runs fine, but does show a CEL on the dash once in a while. I am thinking of swapping in a different computer from a manual truck, so I don't get the CEL coming on, something COULD go wrong later, and I'd just ignore the light, thinking its just the trans code.

you do not HAVE to swap harnesses, but it just makes the job easier. You would need to modify the harness, or the truck will not start (as in not turn over, you could still push start it..... not a recommended method, as the truck is kind of heavy).

ALSO, inspect the pedal assembly you get, it is a very common problem for the bushing to wear out on the pedal assembly, at the end where the nut is. I did NOT inspect mine before hand, and now I have to pull it back out, as the bracket is also worn (if the bushing wear is not caught in time, it starts to wear into the metal, causing an oblong hole).

other than that, its really not that bad to do. I did it in my parking lot! (would have preferred a shop or garage though!)

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
If you don't switch harnesses you'll have issues starting as the neutral saedty switch is on the auto trans as well as you will have to wire in a reverse light sensor.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Edgethis
If you don't switch harnesses you'll have issues starting as the neutral saedty switch is on the auto trans as well as you will have to wire in a reverse light sensor.
^ Exactly!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Rx7toys
Senior User
Under the best case scenario , YES you would switch the harness, as it is very easy. However you may not get the harness with your MT (like me).

I have seen some interesting statements that people say HAVE to be done for this swap.....
I have seen on a forum that you HAVE to swap the steering column .... NOPE
I have seen that you HAVE to swap to the manual trans computer ..... NOPE
that you HAVE to swap wiring harnesses..... NOPE (alter, yes, swap??? NO)

Now, given the CHOICE, Yes the wiring harness would be swapped for ease of install (especially if you are scared of even the most basic wiring)
And YES given the CHOICE, I would swap to the computer from a MT truck.

Kind of like when you are asking someone if they can take less on a used part, and they say "I CAN'T" ... not true ! You COULD , but you are not willing to!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
scojen
New User
Guys
Thanks for all the replies The engine in my truck is the 5.8 fuel injected Windsor unfortunately it has over 300,000 + on it I am thinking of finding another engine and maybe this tranny to build up and then swap out the whole thing While I am not sure which rear end I have I am wondering whether to swap it out too Looking to set up this where it will get better gas mileage than it does now. My speed demon days are over for the most part (Got a Ducati to fill that need) I like my 95 its real comfortable to drive and with a good tranny it pulls good too.

Scott

Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by scojen
Guys
Thanks for all the replies The engine in my truck is the 5.8 fuel injected Windsor unfortunately it has over 300,000 + on it I am thinking of finding another engine and maybe this tranny to build up and then swap out the whole thing While I am not sure which rear end I have I am wondering whether to swap it out too Looking to set up this where it will get better gas mileage than it does now. My speed demon days are over for the most part (Got a Ducati to fill that need) I like my 95 its real comfortable to drive and with a good tranny it pulls good too.

Scott
If you are curios about the rear end there is a code on the sticker on the drivers door jamb, post it here or google it and you can tell ratio, limited slip and what axle it is.

Quick Reply: Change from Automatic to manual