Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV Oil Catch Can

I wanted something a little cleaner looking than a PVC pipe to use as an oil catch can for my CCV mod. So I did some googling and found that the infinity guys were using air compressor water filter. So I thought We could use it too.

So I went to Home Depot and Lowe's and found that those filters were just too small (this is my opinion). While I was at Harbor Freight I found one that was bigger.

Then take it all apart and throw away the filter.

I thought the valve on the bottom was a screw type drain ****, but it turns out it was a valve that is actuated on pressure. So when the bulb pumps up to like 10 psi the valve seats and when it depresses it drains. So I have to drill it out since it was pressed in.

This was a pain in the *** to get off!

Then I bought the kind of valve I wanted but the plastic was not threaded. So I had to thread it, but i didn't have the right pipe tap. So I just threaded with with what I had and then slowly worked the valve in. It's not coming out. I also tested it for leaks.

Then I put the pot scrubber in the catch can to help catch any oil coming out. This will make it super easy to drain.

I wanted this to look good so I painted it Ford Red.

It should be noted that I had to sure 3/4" hose from the valve cover the to catch can, and 5/8" out of the catch can. The reason for this is because I could only find 1 x 3/4" barb fitting. This explains the 2 different fittings.

Here's how I routed the hose.

Then I used a universal rubber strap type exhaust hanger to mount the can on the outside of the frame rail.

I tried my best to show how I routed the hose. Also, I got my nice paint job dirty and smudged. I probably should have let it dry longer.

Also, I put in my new 6637 air filter from Riffraff. I can really hear that turbo spool up now. Its awesome!!!

I tried to get as many pics as I could to let yall know what I did. If you want more pics let me know. Also, if i botched this job, let me know before I really break something!!!!

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-15-2012, 09:30 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks good! How far back did you run the end of the hose?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
I went to about where the cab meets the bed. I'm debating on whether or not to go all the way to the rear axle, but I don't want to have any low spots that end up making a CCV pee trap.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
This is a pretty sweet idea. how ever I would have went with a 3/4" trap so there would be no reduction in size or restriction in flow. Just my 2c

Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Swimholm,
I'll have to take a look at your set up on Saturday. You're gonna change your LPOP, right?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swimholm, Nice job

Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 AM
1WildPig
Senior User
Looks real nice...

Is the pot scubber just insurance to keep any collected oil from sloshing back into the lines?

Can someone chime in with how many miles it takes to get a third of their catch can full with oil?

The reason for the questions is that I did the CCV mod yesterday and have no catch can at this time...I just routed the hose same as you and hooked it behind one of the running board mounts with the hose turned inward and down and stuck a vented cap on the end to keep stuff out of the hose but let the gases out...I drove it today with no smoke or smells bothering me...but, it will let any oil in the hose drip out and depending on how much that is, I may want to do something like you. I don't drive it that much and it probably won't be an issue but I'd still like to know...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deluxe06
This is a pretty sweet idea. how ever I would have went with a 3/4" trap so there would be no reduction in size or restriction in flow. Just my 2c
1/2" was the largest I could find, but I agree.

I'll have to take a look at your set up on Saturday. You're gonna change your LPOP, right?
Yeah I'll be there

Is the pot scubber just insurance to keep any collected oil from sloshing back into the lines?

Can someone chime in with how many miles it takes to get a third of their catch can full with oil?
I guess I dont have a very good reason. Mainly because others have done this with the pot scrubbers and I like the idea. Also, it serves as a median to prevent bugs from crawling up into the valve. And lastly, I've rationalized this by thinking that the surface area of the pot scrubber serves as an area for vapors to condense on. But most likely, it does nothing. I may take it out when I dump the oil.

I'll let you know how much oil I collect after about a week or so.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Some people asked what I did about the ccv inlet on my intake tube. I had some rubber rod ends that I got from Home Depot a while back. It fit pretty good. In the long run, I'd like to replace the tube entirely with a 4" pipe.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Did the trap help the smell at all? Mine doesnt bother me that often but when I get a good wiff of it it turns my stomach. My CCV hose goes all the way to the rear axle.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM
1WildPig
Senior User
Yep, I couldn't find anything handy except for an old chrome lug nut that would fit in the end of the factory hose and used a screw clamp to hold it securely....then, on my next trip to the parts house, I asked my cousin who works there if he knew of anything they had that I could use to cover the vent tube and he directed me to a 2 pack of rubber caps designed for covering deleted heater hose connections...although it fit tight, I put a screw clamp on it just to be sure...nice and neat.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Did the trap help the smell at all? Mine doesnt bother me that often but when I get a good wiff of it it turns my stomach. My CCV hose goes all the way to the rear axle.
I never had a problem with a smell.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
good job. I on the otherhand, gave up and re-plumbed back into the intake. Smell was killing me and plus, i'm in CA.

You really want to hear the turbo zing, remove the foil on the charge side tube

Old 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
good job. I on the otherhand, gave up and re-plumbed back into the intake. Smell was killing me and plus, i'm in CA.

You really want to hear the turbo zing, remove the foil on the charge side tube
With this style catch can, you can route back into your intake. I am considering doing that.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a 3/4" heater hose plug as well... just don't tighten the clamp too hard. I did on mine and after less than a year, the cap cracked and dusted the intake a little... it was only 4000 miles, though, because it wasn't that way when I changed the air filter 4K before. I used a zip tie on this one so we'll see how this one holds up. I'm going to have to make myself a catch can just because I'm getting the rear of my truck "sprinkled" with oil drops. Not bad, but if I can catch it, why not? The smell does bug me, but my intake is dry as can be. With not being able to afford new boots and everything, the clean engine and plumbing is worth putting up with the smell IMO.