Sponsored by: Moser

5.0 vs 3.5 EB. need some quick advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
vtragweed
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 vs 3.5 EB. need some quick advice

Ive been watching this place for awhile, trying to get some knowledge of both the new engines. Im getting ready to trade my tacoma in and move up to a fullsize. In the past 2 weeks ive driven similar trucks except the engines to try to get a better feel of differences and honestly i cant make up my mind which would be better for my case. I drive a lot of hilly terrain, 50/50 town and hwy, mpg is gonna play a factor in my case and whatever i get i will prob get the 3.73 gears and be the FX4. Is there any real problems with both engines, is the mpg a lot more different in one to the other. Any else i might have failed to leave out that i should know about? Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello.

I've got a 2011 F-150 FX4 Supercab with the 5.0L V8 myself. The truck is great! The engine is just the icing on the cake. I've got the standerd 3.73 rear end and I generally avarage between 17 and 19mpg in mixed city highway driving, and low 20's on the highway at 70mph. One thing worth noting though is this...Sometimes it seems like the Ecoboost's peak MPG numbers are a little higher than the 5.0L...Generally by a MPG or two, but the 5.0L has more stable fuel econmy, for example' the Ecoboost make peak at 23mpg easy highway driving as to where my 5.0L may only peak at 21 or 22mpg under the same conditions, but the difference is that when you drive threw the mountains or tow a trailer the 5.0L doesn't suffer as much of a MPG drop as the Ecoboost does...I imagine alot of this can be attributed to the Twin Turbo design of the Ecoboost.

The 5.0L vs Ecoboost is a topic that has been BEAT TO DEATH...With strong argument's from both sides. But the truth is the 5.0L and Ecoboost are both great engines and you really can't go wrong with either. Mileage between the two is generally very close...Ford marketed the Ecoboost as an engine that makes V8hp and gets V6mpg...But the truth is the Ecoboost makes V8hp and gets V8mpg. The big attraction to the Ecoboost is the fact that it produce's 420lb/ft of torque at 2500rpms...Better than pretty much any other 1/2 ton engine out there...Hold for the Ford 6.2L.

But generally the 5.0L and Ecoboost will get about the same mileage if they are equally equipped and are driven under equal circumstance's. Both are plenty powerful...The 5.0L makes 380lb/ft of torque at 4250RPMS which is nothing to scoff at...I know some people worry about the 5.0L not having any low end power because of the fact that its peak torque is make at 4250RPM's...But trust me when I say its plenty punchy down low...My 5.0L very very rarely ever see's past 3,000RPM's because honestly I never had a need to rev it any higher than that. The 5.0L only makes 5hp less than the Ecoboost...The 5.0L being rated at 360hp and the Ecoboost being rated at 365hp.

As for towing comparison's between the 5.0L and Ecoboost, I can't honestly say here, as I have never actually towed with the Ecoboost...I've only towed once with my 5.0L. I towed about 5,000lbs with it and honestly I never knew it was back there, so the 5.0L is a great tower as well. Although I haven't towed with the Ecoboost, those that I have heard who talk about towing with the Ecoboost act like its the bread and butter of the engine, which I can see how the Ecoboost would be a very strong towing engine due to its peak torque being so low in the RPM band.

Fact is, both 5.0L and Ecoboost would serve you well...The best thing to do is to test drive both several different times and get a feel for each engine, then decide which one makes you smile more and which one you trust more.

For me it was the 5.0L and I don't have any regrets for choosing it.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
I also was torn between the 5.0 and 3.5. I need the HD payload package for TT towing (tongue weight and gear), and what finally made me decide to order the EB was the fact that I could not get the 5.0 with HD payload and max tow. Weird, but it is that way.
I'll see about the mileage - I am really curious what I'll get.
Good summary, 640!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
subscribing, I have to go to work.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a nutshell 640 made a great post. I don't think you can go wrong with either engine.

flixden, it's not weird that you can't get the 5.0 with the max tow. The EB is Ford's direct replacement for the 5.4 and the 5.0 is the direct replacement for the 4.6 3V. Before the new engines the 5.4 was the only engine available with the max tow.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
stangman05gt
Junior User
Ill add to the above post. I have the ECO and have hauled a 8500 lbs 30 ft fifth wheel. up/down hills. Did great. I traded a 08 f250 desiel for the 11 quad cab 4x4. 6 1/2 bed 373 gears. Max tow pkg. I love my truck. Again its what suits you the best and cant go wrong with either engine.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
SpoolinF150
New User
640's post is probably the most accurate description of the Eco v 5.0 debate I've seen on this forum; extremely well put and spot on.

It essentially comes down to whether you want to hear turbos spooling or the growl of a V8.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Hello.

I've got a 2011 F-150 FX4 Supercab with the 5.0L V8 myself. The truck is great! The engine is just the icing on the cake. I've got the standerd 3.73 rear end and I generally avarage between 17 and 19mpg in mixed city highway driving, and low 20's on the highway at 70mph. One thing worth noting though is this...Sometimes it seems like the Ecoboost's peak MPG numbers are a little higher than the 5.0L...Generally by a MPG or two, but the 5.0L has more stable fuel econmy, for example' the Ecoboost make peak at 23mpg easy highway driving as to where my 5.0L may only peak at 21 or 22mpg under the same conditions, but the difference is that when you drive threw the mountains or tow a trailer the 5.0L doesn't suffer as much of a MPG drop as the Ecoboost does...I imagine alot of this can be attributed to the Twin Turbo design of the Ecoboost.

The 5.0L vs Ecoboost is a topic that has been BEAT TO DEATH...With strong argument's from both sides. But the truth is the 5.0L and Ecoboost are both great engines and you really can't go wrong with either. Mileage between the two is generally very close...Ford marketed the Ecoboost as an engine that makes V8hp and gets V6mpg...But the truth is the Ecoboost makes V8hp and gets V8mpg. The big attraction to the Ecoboost is the fact that it produce's 420lb/ft of torque at 2500rpms...Better than pretty much any other 1/2 ton engine out there...Hold for the Ford 6.2L.

But generally the 5.0L and Ecoboost will get about the same mileage if they are equally equipped and are driven under equal circumstance's. Both are plenty powerful...The 5.0L makes 380lb/ft of torque at 4250RPMS which is nothing to scoff at...I know some people worry about the 5.0L not having any low end power because of the fact that its peak torque is make at 4250RPM's...But trust me when I say its plenty punchy down low...My 5.0L very very rarely ever see's past 3,000RPM's because honestly I never had a need to rev it any higher than that. The 5.0L only makes 5hp less than the Ecoboost...The 5.0L being rated at 360hp and the Ecoboost being rated at 365hp.

As for towing comparison's between the 5.0L and Ecoboost, I can't honestly say here, as I have never actually towed with the Ecoboost...I've only towed once with my 5.0L. I towed about 5,000lbs with it and honestly I never knew it was back there, so the 5.0L is a great tower as well. Although I haven't towed with the Ecoboost, those that I have heard who talk about towing with the Ecoboost act like its the bread and butter of the engine, which I can see how the Ecoboost would be a very strong towing engine due to its peak torque being so low in the RPM band.

Fact is, both 5.0L and Ecoboost would serve you well...The best thing to do is to test drive both several different times and get a feel for each engine, then decide which one makes you smile more and which one you trust more.

For me it was the 5.0L and I don't have any regrets for choosing it.
Where I've changed the print to bold is really my only disagreement. I've been in the mountains with my truck cresting the tops at 80 mph and still maintained over 21 mpg. Any gasser is going to suffer a larger loss of MPG's than a diesel while under heavy load.

The ecoboost like a diesel is able to pull heavier loads with a taller axle ratio thus enabling it to achieve better MPG's when not laboring. For instance, my truck with the 3.31 axles has a tow rating of 8300 lbs. With 3.73's, it would peak at 11,200 for a 4x4.

Not knocking the 5.0L at all, in fact that was my engine choice until the awesome deal that I got fell in my lap. It just happened to have the ecoboost. I'd be happy as hell either way.

I must say for the hundredth time that the 3.7L is not an engine to be overlooked. Depending on one's needs and wants, it's all the engine that a mild working truck needs.

If one were coming out of an older model truck with the 302 or a later model with the 4.6L, one would feel right home with the 3.7L.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 PM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Where I've changed the print to bold is really my only disagreement. I've been in the mountains with my truck cresting the tops at 80 mph and still maintained over 21 mpg. Any gasser is going to suffer a larger loss of MPG's than a diesel while under heavy load.

The ecoboost like a diesel is able to pull heavier loads with a taller axle ratio thus enabling it to achieve better MPG's when not laboring. For instance, my truck with the 3.31 axles has a tow rating of 8300 lbs. With 3.73's, it would peak at 11,200 for a 4x4.

Not knocking the 5.0L at all, in fact that was my engine choice until the awesome deal that I got fell in my lap. It just happened to have the ecoboost. I'd be happy as hell either way.

I must say for the hundredth time that the 3.7L is not an engine to be overlooked. Depending on one's needs and wants, it's all the engine that a mild working truck needs.

If one were coming out of an older model truck with the 302 or a later model with the 4.6L, one would feel right home with the 3.7L.
this is a good point, and probably a very fair comparison.

If the 3.7 compares to a late model 302 the way a late model 302 compares to an old 351, i'd agree that it is probably plenty of motor. the 3.7 4x4 super cab has a tow rating of 5000+ ... nothing to scoff at, and good mileage to boot.

havn't heard any reports from 3.7 owners, though.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
vtragweed
Freshman User
thanks everyone for the help, i decided to go with the EB. my previous truck before the tacoma was a 6.0 KR and being a fan of diesel i prefer the torque off the git-go, that was really my only selling point. pics to come soon. thanks again

Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent posts by everyone involved here. These trucks really are awesome aren't they!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
jimmyb08SD
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh and congrats on the new truck!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Originally Posted by meborder
havn't heard any reports from 3.7 owners, though.
I can't say that I've ever seen a 3.7L F150 anywhere. I haven't seen one at any dealers and I haven't heard of anyone buying one up here. They must be around but they seem fairly unpopular.

When I bought my 2012 the lot was full of 5.0L engine trucks, my Ecoboost was dealer swapped from Massachusetts. The dealer I purchased from can't get enough of the Ecoboost engines, as soon as they get one in stock it sells. After I drove the Ecoboost and felt that nice low rpm pull along with the extremely quiet engine I was sold...at that point it was just getting one with the stuff I wanted.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 AM
caycebugs
Junior User
5.0 all the way! Test drive one, hear the rumble and you are hooked.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by caycebugs
5.0 all the way! Test drive one, hear the rumble and you are hooked.

I can't argue that.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs 3.5 EB. need some quick advice