6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels & Tires How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Passenger Side Coolant Leak - From Where?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM
DeeJayWoody
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Yes soak it in simple green or something similar and take it to the car wash as you stated. Works good.
Is there a particular type of Simple Green? I recall there being conversation around one being harsher than another, etc.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Not familiar with the conversion. Any should work as long as it doesnt corrode aluminum.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DeeJayWoody
Is there a particular type of Simple Green? I recall there being conversation around one being harsher than another, etc.
U can get simple green from Walmart. I believe the concentrate one. Mix with water and ur good to go. U could blast the engine with water. I think if u google it, u can find where ford recommends for us to cover certain vital areas before blasting with water.

When u had ur coolant leak, was it on the ground or on some part of the motor? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
DeeJayWoody
Junior User
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Not familiar with the conversion. Any should work as long as it doesnt corrode aluminum.
Excellent. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
U can get simple green from Walmart. I believe the concentrate one. Mix with water and ur good to go. U could blast the engine with water. I think if u google it, u can find where ford recommends for us to cover certain vital areas before blasting with water.

When u had ur coolant leak, was it on the ground or on some part of the motor? Just curious.

Alright - I'll grab the concentrate while I'm out. Since the temperatures are going to dip into single digits, I'll probably wait until later to spray down the engine.

The leak is coming from the back left (passenger side) valve cover. Since my valley is mostly dry, I assumed it was coming from the O-ring that sits between the block and the bottom of the intake manifold. However, that ring is completely in tact so I'll be once again looking for a culprit once I wrap up this section.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Excellent. Thanks! Alright - I'll grab the concentrate while I'm out. Since the temperatures are going to dip into single digits, I'll probably wait until later to spray down the engine. The leak is coming from the back left (passenger side) valve cover. Since my valley is mostly dry, I assumed it was coming from the O-ring that sits between the block and the bottom of the intake manifold. However, that ring is completely in tact so I'll be once again looking for a culprit once I wrap up this section.
Woody,

Check the coolant hose that is connected behind the heater control valve. U may have a slight nick on the line and it only leaks when the coolant heats up the rubber.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, they may carry simple green in the concentrate bottle or the pre-mix I spray bottle. It should be in the automotive section, right around the RV section, where they have cleaning and toilet supplies for the RV. Unless they move it. Lol. Good luck hunting then. Lol

Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Excellent. Thanks!

Alright - I'll grab the concentrate while I'm out. Since the temperatures are going to dip into single digits, I'll probably wait until later to spray down the engine.

The leak is coming from the back left (passenger side) valve cover. Since my valley is mostly dry, I assumed it was coming from the O-ring that sits between the block and the bottom of the intake manifold. However, that ring is completely in tact so I'll be once again looking for a culprit once I wrap up this section.
I wouldn't spray simple green on the engine. The type that comes from Wally world WILL cause you issues in the harness. You can clean your intake with it just fine.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I wouldn't spray simple green on the engine. The type that comes from Wally world WILL cause you issues in the harness. You can clean your intake with it just fine.
I forgot to add.... Mix the concentrate with water. The bottle will have instructions. Lol. Sorry I forgot about the disclaimer. "Watch out for crazy snuggy".

Old 11-05-2014, 07:03 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Woody, I've got a similar coolant leak. I just completed an oil cooler job and found nothing in the valley (like you).

Did you ever locate your coolant leak?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:26 PM
snorindad
Elder User
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Woody, I've got a similar coolant leak. I just completed an oil cooler job and found nothing in the valley (like you).

Did you ever locate your coolant leak?
I still have the leak it is intermittent. A mechanic at my company previously worked for international and said front covers are finicky some will leak cold and some hot. I think it is the front cover and I plan on pulling it and resealing it in the next couple of months. Just have not had time and is intermittent so not to worried about it. I will post what I find. Hope you find your problem.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Well I hadn't thought about the front cover. I'll check it out before I reassemble.