Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing electric cooling fan(s) looking to address any potential charging system issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 AM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing electric cooling fan(s) looking to address any potential charging system issues

Hey everybody, truck in question is my 96 F150. I've done a great deal of upgrades to the engine (built 306 see sig) now I'm looking to address the cooling system and charging system.

First off I've heard a lot about the 3g alternator, I've heard people say this generation of truck (1992-96) came with one and I've heard others say it doesn't. My alternator does not have the fan behind the pulley and its mounted using the 3 bolt "side mount" setup I've seen on 3gs, does this mean it is one? Or did 2g's look similar? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm just wanting to know for sure.

I'm also curious as to what the stock output of my alternator is? The truck is a '96 Eddie Bauer Edition, has power everything and factory tow package, and was born a 2wd with a 302/4r70w.

What would be an "upgrade" to whats on the truck now? I figure my stock setup isn't gonna be up to par since I can have the stereo cranked up, the heat on full blast, and watch my headlights brighten and dim in pattern with the idle/lope characteristics of my E303 cam. What would be a decent sized alternator to use to the supply the juice for electric fans and other future lighting upgrades? I intend to move up to larger zero gauge battery cables and a larger 4 gauge charge cable and it'll also be getting a Optima red-top.

The fan I'm considering is a dual 12 inch S-blade unit that a friend of mine purchased through summit I believe, its sat around awhile unused so he cutting me a decent deal on it. According to the box label it flows 2600cfm and draws 24.8 amps. Would that be sufficient enough airflow to keep the truck running cool on a hot humid 90 degree summer day with the AC on full blast? I'm considering a programmable Flex-a-lite variable speed module to power the fans, can be set to increase fan speed as engine temp rises, and a built in switch to kick em too 100% output when AC is turned on, I'm also considering a larger transmission cooler with a built in fan to replace the absolutely tiny stock cooler.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you shouldn't have much trouble keeping the engine cool.
you have the 3G,and it's 130A in that truck.no upgrades should be required.
(the transition year between the old school 2g and the 3g,was 1992.)
the fan you have is probably too small.but hey,if the price is right try it.
be sure to install a real temp gauge.

don't get carried away with trans coolers/fans.
real temp gauge first to see what's required.
ideal trans temp is 175 degrees.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
out of curiosity would a trans fan help our trucks at all or would it just be a detriment to its health? cus im thinking/considering an electric fan for my truck as well but im not really 100% sure where to start even tho I been planing this for a while in the back of my mind....and looking at parts and what not

Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
out of curiosity would a trans fan help our trucks at all or would it just be a detriment to its health? cus im thinking/considering an electric fan for my truck as well but im not really 100% sure where to start even tho I been planing this for a while in the back of my mind....and looking at parts and what not
i plow and haul heavy with my truck,so i installed an e-fan on my aux cooler.
they're pretty cheap.i scored mine on amazon for less than $20 bucks.
anything to help air flow when moving slow is bound to help keep the trans temps down.for this i simply installed a fused relay and have a switch on my pillar pod by my trans temp gauge.it's handy.
trans temp gauge first.then you know what size aux cooler and e-fan combo if any,is required for your work duty/driving style.
just remember most people get carried away.many think if cool is good,then cold is better.it's not the case.150 degree's min.175 ideal.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
i plow and haul heavy with my truck,so i installed an e-fan on my aux cooler.
they're pretty cheap.i scored mine on amazon for less than $20 bucks.
anything to help air flow when moving slow is bond to help keep the trans temps down.for this i simply installed a fused relay and have a switch on my pillar pod by my trans temp gauge.it's handy.
trans temp gauge first.then you know what size aux cooler and e-fan combo if any,is required for your work duty/driving style.
just remember most people get carried away.many think if cool is good,then cold is better.it's not the case.150 degree's min.175 ideal.
I hear ya on the whole people getting carried away thing, I don't do too much heavy haullage so i should be fine as is I would say.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo beam
Hey everybody, truck in question is my 96 F150. I've done a great deal of upgrades to the engine (built 306 see sig) now I'm looking to address the cooling system and charging system.

First off I've heard a lot about the 3g alternator, I've heard people say this generation of truck (1992-96) came with one and I've heard others say it doesn't. My alternator does not have the fan behind the pulley and its mounted using the 3 bolt "side mount" setup I've seen on 3gs, does this mean it is one? Or did 2g's look similar? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm just wanting to know for sure.

I'm also curious as to what the stock output of my alternator is? The truck is a '96 Eddie Bauer Edition, has power everything and factory tow package, and was born a 2wd with a 302/4r70w.

What would be an "upgrade" to whats on the truck now? I figure my stock setup isn't gonna be up to par since I can have the stereo cranked up, the heat on full blast, and watch my headlights brighten and dim in pattern with the idle/lope characteristics of my E303 cam. What would be a decent sized alternator to use to the supply the juice for electric fans and other future lighting upgrades? I intend to move up to larger zero gauge battery cables and a larger 4 gauge charge cable and it'll also be getting a Optima red-top.

The fan I'm considering is a dual 12 inch S-blade unit that a friend of mine purchased through summit I believe, its sat around awhile unused so he cutting me a decent deal on it. According to the box label it flows 2600cfm and draws 24.8 amps. Would that be sufficient enough airflow to keep the truck running cool on a hot humid 90 degree summer day with the AC on full blast? I'm considering a programmable Flex-a-lite variable speed module to power the fans, can be set to increase fan speed as engine temp rises, and a built in switch to kick em too 100% output when AC is turned on, I'm also considering a larger transmission cooler with a built in fan to replace the absolutely tiny stock cooler.

The 3g is plenty, mid to high output min 130/150A, 200 avail., identify yours by the tag and all the holes in the housing. Fans 2 12" should be alright, I installed 2 14" in my 460...I would recommend isolating each fan so as having their own thermostat and relay. Short of that, I would carry a spare module.....Fuel Injection Technical Library » 3G Install Tech