6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel Pressure Regulator Update Kit Install (Blue Spring)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You need this OTC 6763 Ford 6.0L Diesel High Pressure Fuel Rail Adapters
and a simple 0-150 PSI gauge you can get the gauge setup at Harbor Fright
and the OTC almost anywhere even on Ebay.

Sean

Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 AM
John Diem
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pieced the line together at local auto parts ordered the adapter from glow/shift 9.00 cost 27.00 for the line. 44.00 not bad price but 15.00 shipping to much for us cheap guys. I live in small town 2500 people you big city guys should have no problem.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM
John Diem
Senior User
Sorry my post was to answer ITDude About fuel line for pressure gauge.Auto Value had all the parts except the adapter.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IT_Dude
Ok, I did think it read fuel pressure, but I mostly wanted to check voltage and monitor other goodies so i'm not crushed. . I had the EGR Delete, head stud, etc treatment and they mentioned that I may want to have the FICM reworked, but they wanted $700. Any quick, easy, cheap way to check the fuel pressure?

I've been searching on here and people say to buy an M12X1.25 adapter, but I can't find all the parts to make my own external gauge. I found this (Driven Diesel 6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter) but $44 seems a bit steep and then I still need to buy a gauge. Ultimately, I want to test fuel pressure before blue spring and after.

Anyone have a list of all the parts needed? Kind of an all-in-one deal? I get nervous reading all the varying recommendations and would love if someone has already done this and can provide all the info so I don't have to piece something together. I inevitably would mess something up! I guess if nothing else, just get the StrictlyDiesel kit and buy a gauge.
Fwiw the strictly diesel parts are worth the money, makes the job a whole lot easier, of you go and piece together your own kit make sure it involves the hose to extend the sender away from the engine, vibration will kill a sender in short order, and a new sender is over $100. So $44 now or $100 later is how I see it. Plus the strictly diesel kit includes a shrader valve allowing you to bleed out any air in the line to get the sender the best possible reading

Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM
John Diem
Senior User
Originally Posted by raptor131
Fwiw the strictly diesel parts are worth the money, makes the job a whole lot easier, of you go and piece together your own kit make sure it involves the hose to extend the sender away from the engine, vibration will kill a sender in short order, and a new sender is over $100. So $44 now or $100 later is how I see it. Plus the strictly diesel kit includes a shrader valve allowing you to bleed out any air in the line to get the sender the best possible reading
It took 15 min at auto value to duplicate the kit they sell had to buy two schrader valves the way they were packaged. m12 x1.5 fitting got from glow/shift 9.95 including shipping total cost 37.26 so I say 37.26 now or 100.00 later.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
What about something like this? I'm assuming I'd still have to get that $9.00 adapter, the M12X1.25 or whatever it's called.

Actron CP7838 Professional Fuel Pressure Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
IMHO, just buy the stricklydiesel.com adapter. You'll get the plug adapter, a fitting with just the right angle on it to clear the stuff around the fuel bowl, a stainless braided hose with a clear nylon anti-abrade cover, a stainless steel Tee, and the schrader valve. It is well worth their price.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
Originally Posted by bpounds
IMHO, just buy the stricklydiesel.com adapter. You'll get the plug adapter, a fitting with just the right angle on it to clear the stuff around the fuel bowl, a stainless braided hose with a clear nylon anti-abrade cover, a stainless steel Tee, and the schrader valve. It is well worth their price.

Got a recommendation for the gauge?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Got a recommendation for the gauge?
I use the expansion module on my Edge Insight. But any sender will fit the 1/8 NPT connection, so you can go as simple as a Harbor Freight mechanical gauge (under the hood only) or any of the electronic gauges in your cab. You will want other gauges, so if you haven't decided on a gauge platform yet, maybe just do the mechanical for now. Lots of ways you can go on that subject.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
I use the expansion module on my Edge Insight. But any sender will fit the 1/8 NPT connection, so you can go as simple as a Harbor Freight mechanical gauge (under the hood only) or any of the electronic gauges in your cab. You will want other gauges, so if you haven't decided on a gauge platform yet, maybe just do the mechanical for now. Lots of ways you can go on that subject.
I meant the gauge to screw into the end of the line from Strictly Diesel. The pic indicates it doesn't come with a gauge. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a gauge in the truck for that though.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I meant the gauge to screw into the end of the line from Strictly Diesel. The pic indicates it doesn't come with a gauge. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a gauge in the truck for that though.
Do you already have a ScangageII? If so, then that reads so many parameters that you don't need a gauge array in your cab. However, Scangage cannot read fuel pressure.

If you just want to check your fuel pressure, then install the blue spring, and then check fuel pressure again to see how much it changed, then all you need is a mechanical gauge under the hood. Like this one:
Fuel Pressure Gauge 0-100 PSI, CWBD00100, Non-Filled, Direct Mount Gauge | eBay

That gauge will screw right into the end of the stricklydiesel.com adapter hose. You cannot put that gauge inside your cab because of the risk of a fuel leak.

Ideally though, you want to have ongoing monitoring of fuel pressure, and that takes an electronic sender under the hood, connected electrically to a gauge in your cab. When you are ready to do that, you will be all set to just unscrew the mechanical gauge and screw in the new electronic sender. Thread size is the same. Like an Autometer or ISSPRO gauge for example. Or just do the electronic gauge first. Either way, the stricklydiesel.com adapter hose is how you accomplish the plumbing.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
Do you already have a ScangageII?
I do not have one yet, but i found one at ScanGauge II - Gauges, Compasses & GPS - Towing & Automotive for $149.99 shipped.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I do not have one yet, but i found one at ScanGauge II - Gauges, Compasses & GPS - Towing & Automotive for $149.99 shipped.
It's a good choice.

I wanted to include EGT and FP, without having separate gauges around my cab. So I chose the Edge Insight, and I can display those, plus any other expansions that I might want in the future. The Insight is a lot of money. But if you add up the Scangage, plus stand alone EGT and FP, plus mounting pod, the Insight isn't that much more money.

All personal choice, and choices are good.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
You can get one for $135 shipped. Join clean mpg.com (free) and post up on their forum. Ships pretty quick!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM
IT_Dude
Senior User
Mark,

Someone should start a post about how much money you've saved them, but it would probably make you sick seeing how much money you could "make". It is a great thing you do helping everyone out with the Tech Folder and just general knowledge! You'll save me $15 with the recommendation on the ScanGaugeII and about $300 in labor from me reading the tech. folder and doing things on my own. So I'm around $315ish in your debt!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator Update Kit Install (Blue Spring)