2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd misfire between 1k and 2k rpm, under only moderate accel

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 PM
aquaholic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd misfire between 1k and 2k rpm, under only moderate accel

So, my 2004 with its constant tick is now "Missing", but only under moderate acceleration, between 1k and 2k rpms. ie: When in OD and wanting to gain a few MPH, but not drop down a gear. I have noticed it in OD and in 3rd. Feels like the engine stops for a split second, several times. Any Ideas?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:36 PM
DGMFORD
Senior User
A few questions, does the miss ever go away? like when it warms up or is it constant, also which engine?. I had a similar issue, turned out to be a bad coil pack, for some reason the ECM did not pick up the coil pack until it started misssing really bad then it through the trouble code.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
goingape
New User
I have the same problem with my 2004 f150 5.4. I see this problem mentioned in this site a few times. It doesn't look like anyone ever figured it out. It sounds like a common problem.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 AM
04fxdwgi
Freshman User
Originally Posted by goingape
I have the same problem with my 2004 f150 5.4. I see this problem mentioned in this site a few times. It doesn't look like anyone ever figured it out. It sounds like a common problem.
Figured it out on my '04 5.4 Lariat. Had exact same problem. Did the plugs last week and the problem went away 100%. Old plugs had way over .080" gap on them (.080 was my largest gap tool wire). Used the Sp515 Motorcrafts to replace. Took out for a 100 mile highway drive and didn't have 1 misfire at all.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Quack Addict
Senior User
I am having the exact same issue in my '06 FX4 SCREW. Been happening for about a year and getting worse. It s now doing it on the highway between 60 and 75 mph. It started on the 40 to 50 mph range originally, and usually on a slight grade with light throttle pressure.

Took my truck last week to a referred mechanic and he hooked up his $4000.00 plus dollar Snap On scan tool. I had figured coil packs for mine from all of my reading on here. The coil packs are perfect, but four of the eight plugs have a voltage drop with two of them being significant.

He was very confident in his diagnosis and ran multiple tests to confirm and even disconnected two coils packs to confirm everything since I had no stored codes or a check engine light on. The disconnected coil packs threw codes, which we then cleared.

I am scheduled to go to him next Tuesday the 10th and swap out all 8 plugs. I will let you know how the truck runs after that. By the way I have 89,000 miles on mine right now.........

Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
So this is a plug issue? My '07 has been doing this, I think, usually under a light load at between 1250-1500 rpm. Its kind of like a sputter, but I can push through it and its fine. My truck has 70k on the clock right now, 5.4L

Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Quack Addict
Senior User
Originally Posted by DGMFORD
A few questions, does the miss ever go away? like when it warms up or is it constant, also which engine?
Mine does not sputter until it is warmed up good.

Also I have the 5.4 Liter 3 Valve non Flex Fuel engine

Last edited by Quack Addict; 01-05-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 PM
gaetant
New User
Hello i have similar issue Misfire on cylinder #4 2007 4.6L XRT i have change all coil packs spark plugs, still doing same issue very rough idle checked voltage to coil packs and injectors all good even put transmission fluid in engine to see if a valve or lifter was stuck changed oil same issue dealer can't find issue even changed the box under the spare tire. could anyone help please I'm thinking of scraping the dam truck has 155 000 km no mileage at all.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
4VCobraSVT
Junior User
My 06 was doing the same thing and we replaced all 8 plugs which solved the problem. A few months later it came back and there were two coils acting up. Replaced them and had no trouble afterwards.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
gaetant
New User
Lucky you i have change 3 different kind of spark plugs went to the dealer have them installed the one from ford and they changed my coil packs twice the first set i bought were after market then went at ford replaced them with theirs and I'm at 1200$ still can't find issue love the truck but ..

Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Quack Addict
Senior User
Well the plugs went in today......5 of the 8 broke off. Figures!!!!!! Lisile tool to the rescue........ The mechanic kept the truck tonight to test drive-ability in the morning, but looking good so far.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:37 PM
natsreerg
New User
Originally Posted by aquaholic
So, my 2004 with its constant tick is now "Missing", but only under moderate acceleration, between 1k and 2k rpms. ie: When in OD and wanting to gain a few MPH, but not drop down a gear. I have noticed it in OD and in 3rd. Feels like the engine stops for a split second, several times. Any Ideas?
I have been having same problem with no check engine code. Decided to change PCV, a bit of a pain vs other vehicles, but no more missing in those low rpm acceleration situations. Its only been a few days so not certain but will revisit in a couple weeks to confirm.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 PM
redfishtd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 168 Likes on 146 Posts
This has been covered many times . Ignition problems - bad plugs /boots /bad coils corroded tabs on cops . Connectors not locking on due to bad plastic /heat etc splice new ones in and solder . Liquid or dirt in wells very bad .
The code will not set until it gets real bad ,threshold is high . You can see what cyl are building towards setting a code with mode six on a code reader . Torque pro $5 app -android phone - cheap bluetooth reader amazon- under test results . . The problem shows up with a faulty ignition in od with engine lugging . Like climbing a small hill in high gear .
Raw computer counts if ignition good should be zero .

Old 03-24-2021, 12:46 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Missfires in OD over 45 mph can be diagnosed with a Scanner looking in Mode 6 at the misfire counter for each cylinder.
The misfires usually indicate faulty coils.
The issue occurs under the specific driving conditions when fuel mixture goes very Lean by design.
This raises the voltage requirement from the coils.
If any coil cannot supply the required higher voltage, missfire results (studder).
Most often the faulty coil has shorted turns lowering the voltage. This is not a hard fault and will not set a code when the driving condition is exited because the PCM cancels the requests as the faulty operation is not present.
In some cases, the faulty coil can put gabage out on other lead that gets back to the PCM.
When this hapens, >>remember the full drive train is still hooked up<< when it happens. The PCM STOPS processing and leaves everything as it was when it stopped.
The result can be violent jerking action until the PCM begins processing again and runs the motor as if nothing had happend, until the next time.
Because the drive train is still forcing the motor to turn over, the Crank sensor will pick up the timing and continue to put out control pulses and run the motor again.
Sometimes plug replacement will tend to clear it only to come back again 600 to 1000 miles later when the plugs begin to errode, then the studder begins all over again due to faulty coils.
Don't use ACCELL coils. They are Chinese made and have a high failure rate.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-04-2023, 10:03 AM
SuperrSteeve
Cross-Country
Couple year old thread and this topic is well covered EXCEPT what if it isn’t any of the mentioned above (coil, plug, boot, liquid in cavity, fuel pressure..

my 99 v10 is low on power, drives better with OD switch off but that just keeps it from shuddering while it misses (for the most part). Cylinder 4 misfire with mode six.

Tried
cheap coils
used motorcraft coils (from my 2v mustang, same part)
full set of new motorcraft coils/boots from parts store
auto lites and motorcraft plugs
zip tire on all coils
zip tire on all injectors
good fuel pressure at idle and under load

still misses and shudders and low on power and shows miss on cylinder 4 and sometimes 7.

idles alright. Might have a little shake but when disconnecting one coil at a time it changes with every one of them.

30 to 40 with light pedal and lower rpm’s feels like I’m going over a king continuous rumble strip.

there is a calvan insert on cylinder 4 but I’ve pulled all the plugs and coils and swapped them around with zero difference.

did valve stem seals and hydraulic lifters (lash adjusters), took care of oil consumption and the ticking sound.

only shows a miss on my scan tool when it’s actually shuddering and under 2k ish rpm’s. If I keep the rpm’s up and it isn’t shuddering then it says no misfires.

no check engine light.

I’ve had the common issues on my 2v mustang, which were solved by the various methods that are always suggested.

any other ideas which weren’t mentioned so far in the thread?

Quick Reply: Odd misfire between 1k and 2k rpm, under only moderate accel