Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby tough View Post
Make sure the u-joints on the axle line up the same with the one coming out of the diff. Bad things can happen if they don't.
This is flat-out wrong.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
lol i was guessing also ¿what did he just say?.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Post Fiend

danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Make sure the u-joints on the axle line up the same with the one coming out of the diff. Bad things can happen if they don't.

The slip joint is indexed as so only goes together one way, u-joints can not be run out of phase with one another because of that feature.
1997 F350 RC 5.8L ZF 4x4 3.55
Old 11-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Senior User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 92 F150 4x4 the splines were not indexed.I guess some of them are, some are not.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Quote:
My 92 F150 4x4 the splines were not indexed.I guess some of them are, some are not.
Wrong again. There is no such requirement to do this on any vehicle. The first time you turned the steering wheel they would become out of sync.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Post Fiend

danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.danr1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Yea should have mentioned that, from what I understand some of them are not however I yet to see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Wrong again. There is no such requirement to do this on any vehicle. The first time you turned the steering wheel they would become out of sync.
Talking about the passenger side front drive axle, it's outer and inner u-joints.
They need be installed indexed in phase with one another, ensure it functions correctly as a unit, doesn't cause vibration.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Post Fiend

Ok, I misread toby's post. My bad. I thought he was talking about u-joints on the right and left hand u-joint.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I must admit ya had me wondering there for a bit, even went back read it again. Thinking to myself "nope I didn't read it wrong" what is he talking about gotta be missing some thing here he seen!!!

Anyway yea after your last post it became apparent you where thinking right and left "wheel" and not one drive axle.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorryabout that.I just remember when I did my ball joints a fella had told me to make sure the joints were aligned properly.He said that if they were more than a couple splines off it could cause premature failure of the joints.I think mine is a dana 44,maybe the other two types are indexed That was my first time havin' to do somethin' like that.Anyways sorry for that.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
150, 1996, 2005, 89, 96, axle, diagram, exploded, f150, ford, fr150, front, hub, suspension, view