searching for shorty 2.3L headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
928mr2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
searching for shorty 2.3L headers

I'm desperatly searching for a shorty or straight out like turbo exhaust headers that would fit on a 1996 2.3L.
Anybody has an idea?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:51 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your truck comes with them from the factory. Thats part of why aftermarket never made any. Also stop posting the same question in multiple parts of the forum. And what do you mean by turbo, do you even know what you are asking?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM
928mr2
New User
What a wonderful and useful answer

This link to a headers for turbo installation :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190503670233?...84.m1423.l2648

For the new installation of this engine I need a shorter headers or manifold or with a different config like the one in the link above.

I think that was a very simple question.
I posted in different areas to reach the right persons (apparently I did'nt succeed yet) That is not against the forum rules.
I only kindly asked for help.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Ok, to get a better answer explain yourself more fully. Had you explained yourself better, and said something like "I am trying to install a turbo on my 1996 2.3L, and am trying to find a manifold or header", then it would be far more clear.

All the 2.3L Pinto derived engines are the same in terms of the bolt pattern on the exhaust manifold. This means you can install the factory headers or the turbo manifolds on anything.

So the link your posted will work just fine, were it not for the fact that it is total junk. Most of the headers and manifolds on the market cannot withstand the heat or torque stresses that are created by a turbo, so they crack and leak. This is also true of the factory turbo manifolds found on Merkurs, SVOs, and Turbocoupes.

What you need is the 40Bob log manifold. Here is a link. http://www.40bob.com/?loc=shop&cat=1 You can get it in factory location or center mount, and I think you can install the manifold upside down to make a factory mount a forward mount. These manifolds are the only ones that are known to hold up. All others are made from thinner material and are not strong enough to withstand the heat and stress.

Have you visited the turboranger forums? You do realize your engine will not withstand having a turbo without internal modifications. On your engine you need the proper dished forged pistons, and forged rods. You can swap them out of a 2.3L turbo engine, or you can buy new. The stock rods and pistons will not withstand boost, or you would have to run so little boost as to negate the whole purpose. You will also need to retune your computer, run larger injectors, and a high flow fuel pump.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
The easy answer is to just buy a used trubo 2.3L engine and either use it as is if in good condition or rebuild it if not.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Actually the general consensus among us Turbo Ranger owners is to swap the turbo internals over to the Ranger motor so that all your electronics and accessories remain the same. The 2.3L turbo motors use different accessories and brackets, and more often than not they don't swap or fit well in a Ranger, then you are stuff swapping the turbo harnesses and doing a bunch of custom work. Much easier to use the internals, since those are the parts that really matter.

And there are many turbo manifolds to choose from, any Pinto/Lima based 2.3L motor uses the same manifolds, so all the turbo model manifolds will bolt onto any Lima 2.3L motor.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
Actually the general consensus among us Turbo Ranger owners is to swap the turbo internals over to the Ranger motor so that all your electronics and accessories remain the same. The 2.3L turbo motors use different accessories and brackets, and more often than not they don't swap or fit well in a Ranger, then you are stuff swapping the turbo harnesses and doing a bunch of custom work. Much easier to use the internals, since those are the parts that really matter.

And there are many turbo manifolds to choose from, any Pinto/Lima based 2.3L motor uses the same manifolds, so all the turbo model manifolds will bolt onto any Lima 2.3L motor.
All true. I didn't think of this but it is the easiest way to put a turbo in a Ranger. The Pistons on a turbo engine are forged and as long as the engine they came from is in good shape they should be OK to reuse in another block with standard bores. Of course you can just rebuild a block with a set of new Turbo pistons but they to cost 4X as much as a new cast pistons so if you can find good used turbo pistons then that is certainly the way to go.

I just finished rebuilding a NA 2.3L that did not require a rebore but the pistons being cast had to be replaced as the ring groves were worn and I couldn't see putting new rings on those old pistons.