1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

99 Expedition leaking windshield washer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Mike_Br
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Expedition leaking windshield washer fluid

Hello everyone - new member, need your help. My son drove my beloved 99 Eddie Bauer Exped from Southern CA to Long Island, NY back to college this fall. Just visited two weeks ago - had to remove the driver door panel to reattach the interior door handle that had backed completely out somehow...plus someone hit rear passenger door in the student parking lot (no note left of course ) and left a huge scrape – most of which I was able to buff out. Now that I am back home, I get a call Friday that he refilled the washer reservoir using the -25 degrees fluid I bought him and it all leaked out in the vicinity of the passenger side wheel well. From what I’ve read on the forum already, it sounds like the line has either come loose inside the passenger kick panel, fender liner or maybe under the passenger sill plate. Any suggestions where I can have him look first for a loose or busted line? I think he could handle kick panel removal (are there clips holding it on that require removing a certain way to avoid damage to the panel) or sill plate (held by screws?) that are easily removed? I think a fender liner removal is beyond his skills...Hope to do self help instead of taking it to a garage - this college thing is bleeding me dry, don't need more expenses! Thanks in advance!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Br
Hello everyone - new member, need your help. My son drove my beloved 99 Eddie Bauer Exped from Southern CA to Long Island, NY back to college this fall. Just visited two weeks ago - had to remove the driver door panel to reattach the interior door handle that had backed completely out somehow...plus someone hit rear passenger door in the student parking lot (no note left of course ) and left a huge scrape – most of which I was able to buff out. Now that I am back home, I get a call Friday that he refilled the washer reservoir using the -25 degrees fluid I bought him and it all leaked out in the vicinity of the passenger side wheel well. From what I’ve read on the forum already, it sounds like the line has either come loose inside the passenger kick panel, fender liner or maybe under the passenger sill plate. Any suggestions where I can have him look first for a loose or busted line? I think he could handle kick panel removal (are there clips holding it on that require removing a certain way to avoid damage to the panel) or sill plate (held by screws?) that are easily removed? I think a fender liner removal is beyond his skills...Hope to do self help instead of taking it to a garage - this college thing is bleeding me dry, don't need more expenses! Thanks in advance!
Ah yes, the joys of kids far away at school and usually as far away as they can get. I remember those days well and I don't miss those days a bit.
The washer hose runs along the passenger side of the inner fender at the bottom of the battery box and it will sometimes deteriorate due to the battery acid or the fumes in the area. If your son is not somehat of a DIYer it will turn out to be a job for a shop as the battery and the battery box will likely have to be removed for the repair or replacement of the hose. As you can guess the parts are cheap but the labor will be dear. If the leak is not in the area I described it will likely be at the hose connection on the cowl above all the electrical connectors and close to the where the hood seals to the weatherstrip. Have him refill the reservoir and watch in that area while a friend operates the washer to see where the leak exactly is and to be able to fix it.
Good luck with it.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Mike_Br
New User
Thanks Mel - we may end up using the webcam and Skype with me giving instructions from 2,500 miles away :-)

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or... You could go visit for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
2trux
Mountain Pass
Mine popped apart behind the passenger kick panel, and filled up the space under the sill plate then ran out behind the front wheel. It was a very simple fix, just push the rubber hose back onto the plastic hose.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:24 PM
seanaguy
New User
1999 Rear Window Leaks Fluid Into Cargo Area

Good afternoon,

I was travelling back to my house yesterday when I used my rear Window Wipers and Washer. The washer ran for a minute and then stopped and there was a steady stream into the cargo area of my 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4. I've never had this problem before. I already checked the connection underneath the passenger side kick panel and it's connected, but I cannot see how to get to the area underneath the back cargo area. I removed the panel, but can't figure out how to get the panel removed. Any ideas? I looked in my manual, but can't find any information there either. Please help!

Old 12-11-2016, 08:31 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Originally Posted by seanaguy
The washer ran for a minute and then stopped and there was a steady stream into the cargo area

I already checked the connection underneath the passenger side kick panel and it's connected
Wouldn't logic dictate the break is back in the cargo area since that's where the stream is?

Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 AM
seanaguy
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
Wouldn't logic dictate the break is back in the cargo area since that's where the stream is?
yes, but I don't know how to pull that assembly apart. any ideas ?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:20 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
You have to drop the headliner to access the rear washer fluid tube which runs along the passenger side. You might not have to drop the whole thing. I would start around where the leak is and drop the headliner just enough to peek above it. You might be able to reach in and make the repair.