1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Cab Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:15 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cab Lights

I would like to get some cab lights for my '66 F250 4X4 while the headliner is out.

Did ford ever instal cab lights on these trucks? Does anyone have any pictures? Does anyone have the measurements (spacing, distance from front to back)?

What is the part #? Are there any NOS ones available?

That is a good amount of questions for a starting point.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:45 PM
99hosss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey partner, you can't go wrong with a trip to the wreckin yard\car yard. I saw a 66 cab light truck in my last yard, I'll send you a pic if needed. otherwise just find one and start taking some measurements have a great day

Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull one out of a '67-72 wreck, the light switch should turn counter clockwise and this activates the light. There should
be a wire, if you test them, that'll show a current when you actuate the light while turning CCW...

The actual light is attached to the headliner and has a frosted lens...one wire runs to it from the switch, and then the light
fixture gets grounded to the truck above the back window area. I ran the wire to the switch under the rubber floor
under the scuff plate area.

It was super easy....

Good luck,
Jason

Old 11-12-2011, 08:42 PM
fivestarmmd
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
I think he is meaning clearance lites on cab roof just above raingutter. These were required by some states on 3/4 ton up trucks. Just as your name,address,gvw was. There was usually 3 or 5 with 3 in center spaced about 4-6 in apart and outside ones 4-6 from edge of cab.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Yes I am looking for the 5 top clearance lamps. I have looked at most all local junkyards and they only have one slick (surprisingly good pickings).

Where the lights used one the '66's the same as the ones used on newer trucks up to '75?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry guys, my bad...thought he meant the dome light!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:12 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Yes I am looking for the 5 top clearance lamps. I have looked at most all local junkyards and they only have one slick (surprisingly good pickings).

Where the lights used one the '66's the same as the ones used on newer trucks up to '75?
Those are not Ford, if ya gots to have them get new aftermarket. Is there a truck stop anywhere close to you?

John

Old 11-13-2011, 06:47 AM
sgettin
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds like you're looking for these? they're available aftermarket check flashback100's, dennis carpenter, carolina classics etc. i can get you messurments if they're what you're looking for.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 AM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by sgettin
sounds like you're looking for these? they're available aftermarket check flashback100's, dennis carpenter, carolina classics etc. i can get you messurments if they're what you're looking for.
I know that there are aftermarket but you can't beat OEM Ford for quality.

I would appreciate if you could give me the spacing measurements starting at the the center working out. Also the distance of each light to an easily measured place on the front and/or back of the cab would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM
sgettin
More Turbo
well redneck i got good news and i got bad news. good news is you have a lot of room for error when mounting you're lights. bad news is the boys at the factory back in 63 must have had a hangover when they mounted mine, they're off from each other by a 1/2" here and there. so i'd mark yours out and take a good look at it before you drill any holes.

measurements are from INSIDE of drip rail.

starting at the front of the cab roof all the lights look like they should be about 4" back from inside of drip rail to front center of light. mine vary by about 1/4" though. also the cab roof line curves as you get near the doors, my lights appear to follow the curve/roof line.

the lights are spaced 12" apart center to center. except for one of mine that's at 11 1/2".

driver side inside of drip rail(above door) to REAR center of outermost light 6 1/2", passenger side 6 1/4" from inside of drip rail.

my middle light isn't centered well, 30" from inside of drip rail above passenger door and 30 1/2" from driver side.

if it were me i would center the middle light side to side first then set it back 4" and space the others out 12" apart and 4" back and see where the end ones come out at.

kind of confusing to explain. if need be send me a fax number and i'll fax you a diagram.

in regards to factory original nos lights numberdummy can pbly find them if there are any out there.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:07 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I like those dimensions.... I have put clearance lights on a lot of trucks over the years, from a 2 year old powerstroke to lots of vintage fords and lately even my toyota t-100 flatbed, yea, I know... In the last year I have come across 3 sets of 5 lights called 'yankee 77's.. One set at a swap meet, one set in an antique store and the last set at a wrecking yard. I think they are period correct and they have really good sockets and tails and the rubber seal is really thick for a good seal on every roof. Sorry, I used them all up, but I bet you can find some. Oh, and sorry 'bout the GMC.

Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Marky48170
65 f250, 67 f100, 76 f250

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are what mine look like, I have a 1965 F250 CS.

Been loking on the net for some replacement lens ( signal stat #9 amber ) but only could find red. So what ever you choose make sure you can get parts for them.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM
sgettin
More Turbo
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I like those dimensions.... I have put clearance lights on a lot of trucks over the years, from a 2 year old powerstroke to lots of vintage fords and lately even my toyota t-100 flatbed, yea, I know... In the last year I have come across 3 sets of 5 lights called 'yankee 77's.. One set at a swap meet, one set in an antique store and the last set at a wrecking yard. I think they are period correct and they have really good sockets and tails and the rubber seal is really thick for a good seal on every roof. Sorry, I used them all up, but I bet you can find some. Oh, and sorry 'bout the GMC.
that fridge (f350?) is a tough looking truck. the old chevy looks good also.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks, The fridge is an f350. I just converted it to a 9' styleside from a 9' dually stakebed. Used a 92 dually pickup rear end and a box I found as a trailer. Lucky me.. Been a fun project. Cab lights are usually one of my first additions when I drag something home. If it's even a cloudy day, you can find me with that warm orange glow on my roof. My buddy says "you just wanna look cool". Duh.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
sgettin
More Turbo
not to highjack the thread but did you ever think of widening the rear fenders on your flareside a couple inches so the dualies would fit?. been wanting to do that with a slick f350 thinking it would look good.

ps always liked roof lights for some reason, they look good.

Quick Reply: Cab Lights