6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Does anyone regret their SPARTAN TUNING

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM
2010F350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what go to spartans web site the topic is lower tune question.

here is the link.

Lower tune question. - Spartan Diesel Tech Support Forums

Its all there.

They are just running around in circles trying to avoid the problem..

I can cut and paste the e-mail from RCD stating that the high EGTs and Boost are not normal, then a few e-mails later them saying that the EGTs and Boost are normal... Then you ask everyone thast has the 210 tune and they all say that it is not normal.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
You say that "they" are running in circles, but it appears that Jeff is the only one you speak of.

You got downright defensive right off the bat when he tried some suggestions. I do not know Jeff, nor have I ever bought any of their tuning products, but his logic is sound. If every other truck out there isn't seeing boost pressures that high and yours is, all with the same tune, then the problem isn't likely the tune.

Honestly with the attitude you were giving Jeff on their own forum I'm surprised how helpful he was. You flat-out refused any suggestions he had and insisted that it could never be your truck! Heck, you even said it had never been to the dealer, which means that it has never been checked for a problem!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM
2010F350
Senior User
Yes running in circles is what THEY are doing... The first thing he says is filters. Standard answer for him on everything. The second is try another tune. If it does it on other tunes its the truck. I do that...Nope not the truck...Then he and everyone else admits nope they cant hit those numbers, must be the truck..... I work for a small company maybe 1000 mechanics....Happens to be alot of these mechanics work for me..I have no need to bring my truck into a shop for service my guys do it...The only time I need to go to the dealership is if I had warranty work, which to date is Zero..

Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM
2010F350
Senior User
I have been a mechanic for 25 plus years, and yes I am out of date on all this new and up coming technology, but the guys that work for me are not.. So yes there is a problem with SPARTANS TUNE period.. Do I regret Spartan again YES... will I tell everyone YES...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still confused, why so against providing a log file? I don't see the issue being addressed if they can't figure out what the problem is and that can't happen without either A) having access of the truck. or B) having access to the log file.

If it was me, I would be wanting to find out what the problem is, if that means supplying them with the log file, so be it. I don't see this being resolved otherwise.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:54 PM
2010F350
Senior User
I wish I felt comfortable logging the issue but I am not...There is just too much at risk by doing this...Yes I have the money to repair the truck hell could by 10 new ones if I wanted but why?????I would be the only one at a loss if something were to happen. These trucks were not built to produce that much power, if they were dont you think Ford would have made there Boost gauge go to 60 and not 40....

Just because someone thinks everything will be ok should you do it??? Hell would you burn your house down just because someone told you everything SHOULD BE OK???LOL...Smotrs dont do it it wont be ok..J/K

Goto Spartans forums and see how many people have blown gaskets and trashed there trannys by running high HP Tunes, they do damage plane and simple..That is why they dont recommend running high tunes on stock engines, because they DO damage.

I was told over and over that Spartans 210 has all of Fords safteys built into to prevent high boost and EGTs but for some reason mine does not....Maybe its the Dash Daq and not the tune, but again that came from Spartan..

I say that they are giving me the run around because fist they say over 40 psi and that high of EGT is impossible, then in another they say its normal..

Like come on its all in black and white......

Also I am not up set with anyone on this forum just at Spartan.. I am not trying to poke fun at anyone just trying to make a point with some of my comments. So if I have hurt anyones feeling that was not my intent...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:38 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic

Seriously, NO-ONE has the issue YOU have with the 210.....You WONT do a data log.....THEY/Jeff has given you ideas/suggestions on what to do, How are they/jeff supposed to help you with a tune that thousands of people have no problems with?? With some info they might be able to find something, either with your truck or the tune... But, again I guess your fleet of 1000 mechanics would know?

Either that or just run a DIFFERENT TUNE!!!

PS- Everyone running the high HP tunes know the risks, or at least should and is their responsibility for destroying their equipment...
And just a FYI the highest boost I recall seeing while running the 210 was high 30s..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010F350
I wish I felt comfortable logging the issue but I am not...There is just too much at risk by doing this...Yes I have the money to repair the truck hell could by 10 new ones if I wanted but why?????I would be the only one at a loss if something were to happen. These trucks were not built to produce that much power, if they were dont you think Ford would have made there Boost gauge go to 60 and not 40....

Just because someone thinks everything will be ok should you do it??? Hell would you burn your house down just because someone told you everything SHOULD BE OK???LOL...Smotrs dont do it it wont be ok..J/K

Goto Spartans forums and see how many people have blown gaskets and trashed there trannys by running high HP Tunes, they do damage plane and simple..That is why they dont recommend running high tunes on stock engines, because they DO damage.

I was told over and over that Spartans 210 has all of Fords safteys built into to prevent high boost and EGTs but for some reason mine does not....Maybe its the Dash Daq and not the tune, but again that came from Spartan..

I say that they are giving me the run around because fist they say over 40 psi and that high of EGT is impossible, then in another they say its normal..

Like come on its all in black and white......

Also I am not up set with anyone on this forum just at Spartan.. I am not trying to poke fun at anyone just trying to make a point with some of my comments. So if I have hurt anyones feeling that was not my intent...
I don't think any of us are suggesting you should intentionally go out and cause this problem, JUST to get a log.. but as it seems to occur repeatedly, be ready when it DOES the next time.
least, that is how I would approach it.

I have removed my Spartan setup as well.. worried about transmission impact on my 08 Job 1.

Sam

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
tgreening
Elder User
Wasting your time fellas. There is no reasonable excuse for not providing the log file. None. He doesn't have to run his truck up into what he feels is the dange zone. If what he is claiming is true, under the conditons he states he shouldnt see even 30 lbs of boost. Run the truck up the on ramp to about 35 psi or so and log it.

I don't know what the agenda is, I really don't but frankly the whole thing is starting to smell. He can afford to buy 10 trucks but yet afraid he might do some damage? A 25 year mechanic who works at a "little" company that has 1000 mechs at his disposale who he claims are up on all the latest engine tech and do all his maintenance, at his command, yet he had to run around here asking what kind of oil to use and what kind of maintenace schedule, etc. Uh huh.

All anyone here has done is try to help him out and his repsonces have run from stubborn unreasonalbe refusal to listen to rude nasty comebacks. I'm sure this post will elicit a negative responce and that's fine. I'lll refrain from having any further direct conversation with him on my part.

That's my smelly opinion.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM
2010F350
Senior User
Thanks about time....The reason was stated above not my fault you cant read.