Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to get max MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Thanks for the replies. As usual the link led to more links and more reading. Have lots to learn.

I've seen a Wicked Wheel mentioned several times while reading. Is it an efficiency mod or power mod or is there a difference. I was originally looking a Banks.

Looks like DP is the tuner many are running. Do you have to have it customized or is there a generic?

Is anyone running Methonal / water injection?

Going to work on some fuel mods today and work on building a boost leak detector.

Man do I have a lot of work to do.

Paul
The Banks wheel is a Wicked Wheel with a Banks price tag. You don't need one unless you start having surge issues. Banks has good stuff but you can do better for less money elsewhere.

For clear answers on water/meth, you might want to talk to Joe (CSIPSD) on this site. He can have a bit of an attitude but knows what he's doing so be warned.

For boost leaks, don't forget the exhaust side. From the exhaust ports to the turbo, any signs of soot indicate leaks and can kill fuel economy and power.

For mods that work, look at our sigs and do some searches. It won't be long and you'll have a full blown case of PMS (Powerstroke Mod Syndrome).

Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
omanalansan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tagging this thread. need to increase my MPG.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
portsample
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Plotted MPGs

My miles per gallon appears to be driven by seasonal conditions more than anything else. In the winter when driving through unplowed snow, and dealing with thick lubricants (not just motor oil, but also transmission fluid, gear lube in differentials, axle grease in hubs, etc) it takes more energy to move the truck and so mileage suffers. I've currently got chains on the rig and am keeping my speed to under 35mph...I imagine my next tank will be less than 10 mpg. Here is what the last 3.5 years MPG looks like plotted out,

The brown line is the actual MPG on the fill-up date for the previous tank and the blue line is the average miles per gallon of the previous 4 fill-ups.

Clearly, city driving and highway driving have different mileages, but both have trends that are driven by the seasons.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by portsample
My miles per gallon appears to be driven by seasonal conditions more than anything else. In the winter when driving through unplowed snow, and dealing with thick lubricants (not just motor oil, but also transmission fluid, gear lube in differentials, axle grease in hubs, etc) it takes more energy to move the truck and so mileage suffers. I've currently got chains on the rig and am keeping my speed to under 35mph...I imagine my next tank will be less than 10 mpg.
There are two other factors in the winter:
  1. Air. I have the same 90-mile drive every work day (45 each way). It involves a road with city, hightway, flat, steep, uphill, downhill, cornering, and straight. I can have the same road conditions and driver behavior with no wind and the air is the only difference. I've noticed temperature and altitude have measurable impacts on my mileage. Closer to 60 or 70 degrees F seems to be the sweet spot for economy. Sea Level is very kind to the economy as well.
  2. Fuel. Winter mix is the norm shortly before the cold temps arrive. If they sell the winter mix too late, many diesel owners don't get the opportunity to burn off the summer fuel before it chills and gels. All that anti-gel kills the efficiency of the fuel.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Gatrucknut
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Just got my 2001 CC 4x4, Dont live far from you Paul. CUrrent mods are 4" exhaust, Banks muffler, Banks 6gun tuner (running on level 4), 4.56 gears, leveling kit, 37"BFG's. Best guess is I am getting 10.5 mpg based on just guage position. My Speedo is 7mph off, so my numbers are off a bit too, just havent had time to do the serious math yet.

Nice thread, I'm needin' more readin' for sure!

Really needing to get the 3.37's back! 2600 RPM @ 70mph.