2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 f150 modification and stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM
kayliee69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 f150 modification and stalling problems

I have a 2004 F150. I have it currently straight piped while waiting for an exhaust we are buying. I recently put in a Edge Power Programmer chip and a Airaide cold air intake. Since making these modifications my truck stalls when I come to a stop after accelerating quickly for any period of time. Would you think that this is a exhaust issue or an issue with the chip and cold air intake? I run premium through my truck and just got an oil change a couple days ago. My computer isnt throwing any codes whatsoever making it harder to figure out what is wrong. Another option we thought about was it being an 02 sensor issue as well. Just wanted to get some input on the issue.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would start with the programmer and double check everything to make sure it is set correctly to the specs or as close to the specs as an out of the box programmer can allow. Most likely you are off on one of the setups and the engine just can't handle the extra air with what the chip is telling it to do.

What kind of CAI do you have and how long has it been on your truck? Also did you do all these changes at once or spread them out over a few weeks?

You might just have to flash the chip and allow the engine to learn the new setup on its own.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kayliee69
I have a 2004 F150. I have it currently straight piped while waiting for an exhaust we are buying. I recently put in a Edge Power Programmer chip and a Airaide cold air intake. Since making these modifications my truck stalls when I come to a stop after accelerating quickly for any period of time. Would you think that this is a exhaust issue or an issue with the chip and cold air intake? I run premium through my truck and just got an oil change a couple days ago. My computer isnt throwing any codes whatsoever making it harder to figure out what is wrong. Another option we thought about was it being an 02 sensor issue as well. Just wanted to get some input on the issue.
The programmer is a part of it...there's likely more to the story.
See my response to your other post here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10937496

Old 10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
kayliee69
New User
Originally Posted by Coskid
I would start with the programmer and double check everything to make sure it is set correctly to the specs or as close to the specs as an out of the box programmer can allow. Most likely you are off on one of the setups and the engine just can't handle the extra air with what the chip is telling it to do.

What kind of CAI do you have and how long has it been on your truck? Also did you do all these changes at once or spread them out over a few weeks?

You might just have to flash the chip and allow the engine to learn the new setup on its own.
Thanks for the information.. I tried setting the programmer up to what it recommends for my truck in the manual. The only two things that did not save in my custom set up was the idle and the timing which are things that I think I could possibly having trouble with.. Well the idle for sure but not so much the timing. Even when returning the chip to stock but keeping the CAI in it stalls occasionally as well. I have an Airaide CAI and I put the chip in Friday and the CAI in on Saturday after running the chip for a day without it. I took the chip down to one of our shops and they completed the updates and also reset all settings that were inputed in the chip before as it was bought second hand from someone who owned a 05 F150 who didnt have any problems. The CAI also came from that truck as well as the exhaust we are supossed to be getting from him later this week. Let me know if there is anything else I should know as I have no idea what is causing this, being a girl and owning my first truck this is making it very hard to add performance modifications to my truck lol

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM
kayliee69
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
The programmer is a part of it...there's likely more to the story.
See my response to your other post here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10937496

Thanks so much I will look into this. Dio you know of anywhere in Canada that is like this?? I am in Northern BC and our performance shop recently shut it's doors.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
PHP will work with you. Just give them a call. They ship programmers all over the place.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like Chandler is right your best bet is going to be just get a new programmer with custom tunes. Other wise you will be having the same problems most likely from time to time.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thanks for the information.. I tried setting the programmer up to what it recommends for my truck in the manual. The only two things that did not save in my custom set up was the idle and the timing which are things that I think I could possibly having trouble with.. Well the idle for sure but not so much the timing. Even when returning the chip to stock but keeping the CAI in it stalls occasionally as well. I have an Airaide CAI and I put the chip in Friday and the CAI in on Saturday after running the chip for a day without it. I took the chip down to one of our shops and they completed the updates and also reset all settings that were inputed in the chip before as it was bought second hand from someone who owned a 05 F150 who didnt have any problems. The CAI also came from that truck as well as the exhaust we are supossed to be getting from him later this week. Let me know if there is anything else I should know as I have no idea what is causing this, being a girl and owning my first truck this is making it very hard to add performance modifications to my truck lol

I didn't see this post earlier.

So the truck ran fine with just the canned tunes...for a day...before you installed the CAI?

Sounds like the culprit is the CAI, which in a lean condition could be causing a stall. Did you attempt to reinstall the factory intake? BTW the factory intake actually pulls cooler air than many of the aftermarket intakes. Additionally, without a new MAF to account for the additional volume of air you're attempting to cram down the truck's throat, the CAI is no better than the factory intake...aside from some underhood bling of course.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
kayliee69
New User
I didn't see this post earlier.

So the truck ran fine with just the canned tunes...for a day...before you installed the CAI?

Sounds like the culprit is the CAI, which in a lean condition could be causing a stall. Did you attempt to reinstall the factory intake? BTW the factory intake actually pulls cooler air than many of the aftermarket intakes. Additionally, without a new MAF to account for the additional volume of air you're attempting to cram down the truck's throat, the CAI is no better than the factory intake...aside from some underhood bling of course.
Thanks again for this.. I called Edge they said the CAI as well.. The night after installing the chip and before putting in the CAI the truck stalled once after taking it on about a 20 minute highway drive. Then we installed the CAI and it keeps doing it. My boyfriend seems to think it is the straight piped exhaust that is causing it but I honestly have no idea. I havent tried to switch it back over to the factory intake yet but that is an option I have been thinking about.. You guys still think it is the CAI or could it possibly be the exhaust that I currently have on it??

Old 10-20-2011, 12:18 AM
greenbeast7.3
New User
I have a 04 5.4 and got on it for a little bit and when i put it in reverse it started to choke
went home and put it on a comp and had exhaust codes pending but not there yet???

Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thanks again for this.. I called Edge they said the CAI as well.. The night after installing the chip and before putting in the CAI the truck stalled once after taking it on about a 20 minute highway drive. Then we installed the CAI and it keeps doing it. My boyfriend seems to think it is the straight piped exhaust that is causing it but I honestly have no idea. I havent tried to switch it back over to the factory intake yet but that is an option I have been thinking about.. You guys still think it is the CAI or could it possibly be the exhaust that I currently have on it??
Somehow I missed the straight piped portion too.
Are you running the downstream O2 sensors with the new exhaust? My best guess is that the CAI is your main issue...as this was also confirmed by the folks @ Edge, and the exhaust may be a contributor as well but if you had a downstream issue it should throw a CEL and code.
I say pull the CAI and put the stock intake back on...as well as call PHP and get a custom tune or two.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Reagan K
Junior User
I would put my money on the CAI. I had airaid on my 04 and almost every time I stopped st a light it wld small. I called airaid an they said send it back for a full refund and sent me a intake tube that hooked up to the stock air box and plumbed to the same hole where stock pickup tube went. They were aware of the problem, but said it was only affecting 10% of their customers. I gave that tube to a friend and got my K&N, trucks has not stalled since. Totaled the truck got an 05 put k&n on mo issues 130k miles with it.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
kayliee69
New User
Originally Posted by Reagan K
I would put my money on the CAI. I had airaid on my 04 and almost every time I stopped st a light it wld small. I called airaid an they said send it back for a full refund and sent me a intake tube that hooked up to the stock air box and plumbed to the same hole where stock pickup tube went. They were aware of the problem, but said it was only affecting 10% of their customers. I gave that tube to a friend and got my K&N, trucks has not stalled since. Totaled the truck got an 05 put k&n on mo issues 130k miles with it.
Thanks for this.. my truck stalled after installing the chip but before installing the air intake. That is why they figure that it isnt the CAI but the exhaust thinking maybe the smaller pipe is not allowing enough fuel or air or something along those lines through. And yes it sounds just like your story. It isnt everytime I stop but it happens usually once a trip and after I have been driving for a while or gaining high rev's.. It does always happen at a stop. My RPM's drop down and the truck stalls. It does not hesitate to start up again so I am not thinking that it is flooding.. I keep hearing its the CAI, I have asked my boyfriend to remove but he is set on the fact that it isnt the CAI because of the fact it stalled once before installing it.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
kayliee69
New User
Somehow I missed the straight piped portion too.
Are you running the downstream O2 sensors with the new exhaust? My best guess is that the CAI is your main issue...as this was also confirmed by the folks @ Edge, and the exhaust may be a contributor as well but if you had a downstream issue it should throw a CEL and code.
I say pull the CAI and put the stock intake back on...as well as call PHP and get a custom tune or two.

Thanks for this as well.. I am not running anything different in my truck since I have installed the CAI except for premium fuel or 91 octane. Does PHP have a toll free number? Like I said I am in Canada and that sounds like it could be a hefty phone bill lol

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thanks for this as well.. I am not running anything different in my truck since I have installed the CAI except for premium fuel or 91 octane. Does PHP have a toll free number? Like I said I am in Canada and that sounds like it could be a hefty phone bill lol
Im on my phone right now otherwise id look for you. You could also email Bill over @ PHP and im sure he'd get back to ya.

Quick Reply: 2004 f150 modification and stalling problems