Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 PM
New User

jmmoore721 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1985 F250 351w

Can you someone help me identify this? It came off of the right side of the motor where the Y-pipe fits to the exhaust.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Heat riser valve or a spacer to take the place of the heat riser valve.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
New User

Thanks.. can I get rid of this and just put a donut in its place? Neither of the holes where hooked up to anything..
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
No, the y-pipe is not going to fit correctly. There is no ball area on the manifold for the y-pipe flare to fit correct? And it would end up being about 2 inches shorter without it also.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM
New User

Thanks again. Do you know of any spacers or anything?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM

What is the problem with what you have? Does it have some small holes that are leaking because someone took the valve out? If so, you can put bolts in them to plug them. If you have a friendly parts person, they may be able to find a spacer for you, or a whole manifold that didn't have the heat riser. I am not sure, but suspect there may be a factory setup that didn't have the heat riser system, but finding it in the parts book will take some time.

P.S. I think I know what the problem is; Is the mounting ear broke off in the picture?

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 AM

I just looked on Autozone's site, and they sell new Dorman exhaust manifolds. Maybe you can find one to fit that doesn't use the spacer.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
On the '85 F150 I parted the heat riser was on the driver's side. Don't know about an F250, but I think it would be unusual for Ford to swap sides.

Also, that one doesn't seem to have the shaft nor the butterfly it would have as a heat riser. And, the one's on the F150's had a vacuum motor. So, I'm not sure what it is, but I do yield to Dave's knowledge.

As for exhaust manifolds, I do have a pair from an '82 351W that didn't have the riser, plus the '85 pair with the riser. I could measure them this afternoon to see what the lengths are if need be. And, if there's an interest in either shoot me an email (janeyandgary@gmail.com) to discuss, although shipping would be expensive I would think.

Oh yes, please go into User Control Panel and fill out your location. Who knows, you might be in my back yard and I can help you.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 AM
New User

it was on the driver side. and it had nothing in there just 2 holes for exhaust to blow out.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Posting Guru

Stangrcr1 has a good reputation on FTE.Stangrcr1 has a good reputation on FTE.
That is where the heat riser was. The shaft, spring and valve are missing. Just plug the holes in the sides and reinstall.

2000 F250 SCLB Lariat 4x4 450ci PSD
1982 F250 2wd 351w, C6, D60.3, parked.
1997 Honda CRV 2.0, AWD, new daily driver.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Stang's got the answer. Here are some shots, but I apologize for the poor quality:

The top manifold is from an '85 351W HO, while the bottom one is from an '82 351W - both are driver's side. As best as I can tell both the manifolds have the same dimensions, but the '85 is flat where the outlet is while the '82 has the bell to fit the exhaust pipe. The '85 requires the heat riser to get the bell, but the riser is 1" thick so that changes the Y-pipe.

Here's the heat riser, and note that the flange is not broken, but cut off:

So, like Stang said, plug the holes and don't look back.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM
New User

Thanks guys.. I'm at a loss as to why it was like this to begin with... I'm going to plug it as soon as I get back into town.. Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1985, 351, 351w, 85, 97, dakota, f250, f250351w, flange, ford, heat, lightning, pipe, riser, v6, valve