1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 svt

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM
spfenninger
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
51 svt

I'm wanting to put a lightning or a svt mustang powertrain in my 51 I can get a motor tranny but are unsure if I'm gonna need the stock ECM or would a stand alone be a better option any input would be super thanks

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe even the aftermarket EFI wiring harnesses use the OEM ECM. They just make the hookups easier and cleaner. That sounds like a really fun project you're planning. Keep us posted with updates. I can hardly wait to follow along.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spfenninger
I'm wanting to put a lightning or a svt mustang powertrain in my 51 I can get a motor tranny but are unsure if I'm gonna need the stock ECM or would a stand alone be a better option any input would be super thanks
Wayne is correct. The aftermarket harnesses can give you a cleaner look, extended to put the ecu in the cab, no emissions, etc. But the computer is still the one from the oem. Ford ecu reprogramming seems to be expensive, 350 and up. I have been planning a 5.4l 3v conversion into a 54, but it's near impossible to get ecu support for the platform standalone. I have just today found a lincoln 4.6l 32v dohc engine nearby and will use that instead.

The Detail Zone seems to be one of the better harness/ecu programmer companies. They are now owned by Ron Francis.

Sam

Old 10-13-2011, 01:41 PM
1andonlywhitie
Senior User
Wow, that would be a bad-*** build! I'd love to see that.

If you need a design let me know, I'd love to have a crack at designing the look for that truck!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Romak
Senior User
do some research into MegaSquirt. Its a stand alone EFI seystem that will run spark and injectors threw mostly stock sensors and from what I understand is a very basic and easy setup. Its all tunable threw a computor so thats one thing you will prolly have to learn or hire out. I looked alot into this system as a backup if i couldnt clean up the stock wiring and use the stock ECU when I did my 4.6 swap. but wiring up a stock system into a older truck is not very difficult just be patiant and label everything when it comes out of the donar car.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Romak
do some research into MegaSquirt. Its a stand alone EFI seystem that will run spark and injectors threw mostly stock sensors and from what I understand is a very basic and easy setup. Its all tunable threw a computor so thats one thing you will prolly have to learn or hire out. I looked alot into this system as a backup if i couldnt clean up the stock wiring and use the stock ECU when I did my 4.6 swap. but wiring up a stock system into a older truck is not very difficult just be patiant and label everything when it comes out of the donar car.
who did your ecu reprogramming? I assume you had to take off VATS at least, and probably the post cat O2 sensors.

Sam

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
wilsel
Senior User
I can't offer any advice, but I like the idea!

Old 10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
F1Newb
Junior User
It's sad to that there is not alot of support out there..Given I had an LS2 in my 1970 Nova parts can tuning services can be had for cheap...

Good luck sounds cool

Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by F1Newb
It's sad to that there is not alot of support out there..Given I had an LS2 in my 1970 Nova parts can tuning services can be had for cheap...

Good luck sounds cool
yeh, I am doing an LS1 in my 56, and the 4.6 DOHC in a 54 (unless I find another good 56 cab). the LS1 ecu reprogram is $75 including shipping.

Sam

Old 10-13-2011, 04:03 PM
F1Newb
Junior User
I was thinking of a carb'd LS motor for this project, but I think I'll keep it old school

Whats nice about a Carb'd LS, is you can keep most of the Blue oval guys scratching their heads..hahaha Between the exhaust placement and running a distributor up front it's hard to tell it's a Cheby...

If you need some help let me know, My LS2 was one of the best motors I've ever worked with..

Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Awesome idea!!! If you ever decide to sell that little Bada$$ engine let me know... my truck is screaming for one!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
coopdagook
Senior User
The TwEECer -- EEC-IV user programmable module
they guys on the lightning forum have been using this for tuning the older style ford ecms. might help or not.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Romak
Senior User
I got my Tuning done locally at a performance mustang shop south of houston. it was a SCT custom tune done on a dyno, my handheld will hold 3 tunes. right now i just have a 87 driving/milage tune. im about to go back in for a 93 performance tune and a 93 nitrous tune becouse i just got that installed about a week ago. it was $350 for the first tune, and he sais he will do the others for $100 a piece. plus i bought the tuner used off craigslist for $100, unfortunatly it had diesel tunes instead of mustang tunes when i got it so i had to delete them and get a custom.

i used a police interseptor ECU which does NOT have VATS. I was actually able to run the truck for a long time without a tune it just shot alot of codes. it drove fine thow for a long time untill i was able to get the tune.

also Edlebrock offers a carb 4.6 intake that i read alot about and its sposed to be really nice. MSD i believe makes the box to control everything els when you do the swap to carb.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
F1Newb
Junior User
Cant SCT just shut off VATS?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Romak
Senior User
im pretty sure it can. dont know for sure thow

Quick Reply: 51 svt