Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rough idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:17 PM
PSD7.3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough idle issues

Ok well im new to the site here guys and apologize if this topic has already been disused. Anyway my 99 F250 7.3 was having troubles starting when temps dropped below 40 degrees F. So i decided to try to change my glow plugs and the gaskets to ( i changed the plugs 3 years ago so needed new gaskets ). and replaced the relay last year. So i am guessing its my plugs again. So i replaced all the ones on the passenger side and put everything back together. Tried to start it just to see and no go. i plugged it in for a couple hrs and got it to fire up, but now it is running very rough and the check engine lite is comming on, i checked everything and it all seems to be plugged in and attached, but i could have missed something i guess. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Pretty easy to knock one or more of the solenoid connectors loose when reinstalling the valve covers. Do you have an IR temp gun? If so, start the engine and see if one bank is not firing (check exhaust manifold for heat). Then remove the suspect cover and check your work. The valve cover gaskets are reusable so you don't need to replace them unless a terminal is burned or damaged somehow.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 PM
PSD7.3
New User
nope dont have a temp gun. sorry im a noob but which connectors are the solenoid connectors? I know its the passenger side cause i have not had the time to do the drivers side yet. So i guess its good i got noticed a problem before i did the other side.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Each injector has a solenoid on top. The inboard side has an electrical connector that is held in place with a wire clip. I think you should pull the valve cover and see what you find. Did you leave a quarter under there? (50 cent mod)

Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
You just have to recheck your work. Installing the sometimes causes you to discounect almost anything under the valve cover. Injectors ect.. Your going to have to goback in. Good luck, Chet

Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM
PSD7.3
New User
Ok thanks guys I will double check everything again and let you know. I did smack those clips a few times so maybe I knocked one loose. And what is the 50 cent mod and what does it do

Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Cell's
Senior User
Welcome to FTE !

This site and the people here are amazingly smart ! Lots of usefull information and lots of reading to do .

Do a serch for the .50 cent mod and you will see pics and a write-up on how it is done .

Good Luck .

I have still not done this mod yet because I have not had to get under the valve covers yet for any issues but soon I'm sure .

Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD7.3
Ok thanks guys I will double check everything again and let you know. I did smack those clips a few times so maybe I knocked one loose. And what is the 50 cent mod and what does it do
$.50 Mod Pics and Rocker Arm Torque Specs: 50 cent mod - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke misfire runs rough code P1316 injector wire harness connection - YouTube

Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Great video. I had never seen that before. (wish I had because it would have saved me about $800...)

Here are some photos showing how the quarter fits. Also it's good to check for burned pins or terminals.

To the OP....don't forget to check out the link that was just above the video....there is a ton of great info in that thread.

Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Great pictures Greg. This has been up tons of times but your pictures really show the newbes what we're talking about. Good show, Chet

Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
gtnwood
Senior User
Yes, very Awesome. I think between this thread and another I read just prior has given me the answer to my problem. Truck instantly started running like duty when I kicked of the cruise control and after changin a CPS which didnt do the trick I got it started and limped home 100 miles or so. Funny thing was all the gauges stayed in a normal range and the SES lite only lit when I lifted off the accelerator then went out soon as I got back on the accelerator. I went ahead and changed the accelerator pedal position sensor thinkin it was the culprit since it happened instantly after disengaging the cruise but now I have a spare one of thise to go along with my spare CPS. Unless someone opines differently I'm gonna put some crayons on my manifolds first chance I get

Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Great video. I had never seen that before. (wish I had because it would have saved me about $800...)
Yeah, tell me about it. Thats about what I spent for the same issue when I was a PowerStroke rookie.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 AM
PSD7.3
New User
Ok guys thanks for all your help. It ended up being the clip on the outside of the valve cover. I guess i didnt clip it all the way in the first time. I did take the valve cover and check the inside clip aswell to see if it may have been coming loose but it seems very tight for now so didnt worry about doing the 50 cent mod. So thanks again guys. Its nice to be running on all 8 again

Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
gtnwood
Senior User
Since the OP has successfully completed his project I dont think he'll mind a rehash for suggestions on my behalf.
I have the same problem and was methodically pulling the drivers side parts as instructed and even cleaning them as I went, I removed the intercooler tube easily and wanted to remove the entire intake tube as a single piece but that wasn't happening. So I got the air filter and the tube removed before the PCV section but cant for the life of me get the rubber hose to come free from that center section, it has those crimped on clamps at both ends which I've never worked with before, so I then tried removing the tube behind the PCV section and it seems to be glued in place, any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also trying not to have to remove the PCV from the valve cover like the tech in the video suggests.

Quick Reply: Rough idle issues