1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which AT tires for 2011 Super Duty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM
GLC
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which AT tires for 2011 Super Duty?

I've got an '11 F350 SD with 275/70/18 the Continental AT Tires. These tires are horrible on anything other than dry pavement. They spin on wet grass.

Looking for a better choice of AT tires for snow and light mud. Looking at the Michellin LTX AT2 and the Cooper Discoverer AT3. Both come in this size in Load Range E which I want.

Which would you chose?

Other suggestions welcome.

Looking to stay same size or maybe one size bigger.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Chequamegon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always went a size bigger myself. Once in a while you might catch a mud flap, other then that going to a 285 size you should be fine.

I have gotten almost 60,000 mile out of the old style wrangler MT's so you can get great wear on tires with proper vehical care and rotation.

The only time I have had tires that I hated on my 350's wear when the side wall is over rated. What I mean is the series "E" having a over inflated load rating. I had some BF's that felt like I was driving on silly putty (weak side walls)....I won't be purchasing those again. I prefer goodyear, but I do have a set of coopers on a 97 350 that I bought as a budget replacement and they are getting good wear, but more importantly I like the tire just as much as goodyear and may seek those as altenatives in the future if I am budget minded at the time of purchase.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
rdalley
Junior User
I just replaced my Cotinentals with the new BFG Rugged Terrain. So far I like them, but only 500 miles on them. They are aggressive enough for me but still quiet on the highway.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Goodyear Silent Armour or Duratrac - Great A/T tires with decent prices

I would pick the Michelin you listed if those are your only 2 choices. They won't look the spiffiest, but they are amazing tires and you'll replace them of old age before you replace them for being worn

Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the Michellin LTX AT2 on my Explorer and love them have thought about getting them for my F350. On the Explorer they run great on snow and wet roads which are plentiful around here. Pretty good stopping on wet, icy, or snow covered roads. On gravel and dirt roads have not had a problem with them have not really bogged them anywhere but have had them on some pretty nasty muddy dirt roads with no problem.

I had my Conti's siped and that has helped a lot. I screwed up when they had the recall and had to have them replaced with the same tire.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
GLC
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the responses. No offense, but I won't buy any Goodyear tire due to previous bad experiences.

18's seem to be limited on bigger sizes than my stock tire. I've checked most of the top brands and there isn't much available that is bigger.

I'm liking the Michellin's a lot but the new Cooper AT3's look good too. Maybe someone on here has these with some experience and comments.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
rdalley
Junior User
I forgot to mention that I had Cooper Zeon's on my last truck. They were very, very good. I dont have any experience with the AT3 but I would definately go with the Zeons again. the reason I went with the BFGs is they were in stock and I was leaving the next day for a 250 mile trip and my tires were shot and I had to have new ones right then.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by rdalley
I just replaced my Cotinentals with the new BFG Rugged Terrain. So far I like them, but only 500 miles on them. They are aggressive enough for me but still quiet on the highway.
I think you're the first person I've ever seen that liked those tires! Are these the ones that look like the BFG A/T but w/ the shoulders all closed? My truck had them on there when I bought it and I thought they were junk but they were almost bald too so I figured that was the problem. When I was shopping for new, the local BFG dealer had about 5 sets of them he was trying to get rid of cheap - they came factory on a bunch of trucks a contractor had ordered and they didn't last a month before they ordered different ones. He said it was an electrical contractor installing power poles and even on dry ground those tires barely got enough traction to out of the ditch. The least bit wet and forget it. The guy said they were great on the highway but if I would be doing any offroad driving to stay away from them. Hope you have a better experience!

Personally I just installed a set of Goodyear Duratracs...only have about 20 miles on them all on dry roads so I can't comment on traction yet - but they look better anyway.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM
rdalley
Junior User
Originally Posted by maverick22
I think you're the first person I've ever seen that liked those tires! Are these the ones that look like the BFG A/T but w/ the shoulders all closed? My truck had them on there when I bought it and I thought they were junk but they were almost bald too so I figured that was the problem. When I was shopping for new, the local BFG dealer had about 5 sets of them he was trying to get rid of cheap - they came factory on a bunch of trucks a contractor had ordered and they didn't last a month before they ordered different ones. He said it was an electrical contractor installing power poles and even on dry ground those tires barely got enough traction to out of the ditch. The least bit wet and forget it. The guy said they were great on the highway but if I would be doing any offroad driving to stay away from them. Hope you have a better experience!

Personally I just installed a set of Goodyear Duratracs...only have about 20 miles on them all on dry roads so I can't comment on traction yet - but they look better anyway.
I dont think we are talking about the same tire. Are you thinking the BFG Rugged Trail? they came stock on a lot of F150s and I didnt like them on mine when I had it. These are a new design, in the last year I think, and they dont look anything like the BFG A/ts that are so poular. I've been driving in the rain all day yesterday and today and they seem pretty good. Heres a link to what I have.

BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A

Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I got the Goodyear Wrangler ATS load range E tires and they are working very good. I looked at the Goodyear Silent Armors and the guy at Kaufman tire said that the ATS were better tires. I heard the silent armors are pretty scary on exit ramps because of weak side walls. This was 2nd hand info not from personal experience.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by rdalley
I dont think we are talking about the same tire. Are you thinking the BFG Rugged Trail? they came stock on a lot of F150s and I didnt like them on mine when I had it. These are a new design, in the last year I think, and they dont look anything like the BFG A/ts that are so poular. I've been driving in the rain all day yesterday and today and they seem pretty good. Heres a link to what I have.

BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A
Ahh, you are correct. My mistake, sorry! Too many simliar names.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 AM
CKetchum
Senior User

I am partial to BFG All Terrain T/A KO's. I know others don't like them, but I have had great results with them. I bought a few sets for my old 99' F-350 and have them on my 08' F-250. They do make them in 8 ply D load range and 10 ply E load range. I always got the E load range. I did try a set of Goodyear Wranglers but could not keep them balanced...hated them. Not sure why they got off balance, they were mounted on the factory wheels. I like the 285/70/18 for my 08. Had 285/75/16 on the 99'. Just my
$.02.

Clint

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would skip the Michelin LTX A/T's. They're too soft of a tire for a super duty. I got mine with the truck, they only have 7500 miles on them but seriously look like they have 20k on them. Great tire, just too soft.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
285/75-18 Toyo Open Country AT's are what I have. Been a good tire with decent wear...not much noisier than the Conti's but much better traction. I got over 40k on my last set, and they would have probably gone another 10K but I was going on a November hunt out of state so I had new tires installed.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
mikesmayhem
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A buddy of mine just got the AT3 and he likes them. He says they are quiet on the freeway and grip good on the dirt roads he has been on. I will probaly get them myself next year when I need tires. For us here in MN, Mills Flleet Farm has a buy 3 get 1 free sale.the cost is only around $600 for 4 tires. That is in 265/75/16 Load E.