Torque Converter problems...I think

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:13 PM
motobub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 91 F-250 7.3 diesel 4x4 with auto trans. I think it is the E4OD. I think it is the torque converet slipping. It does it when you are cruising along and floor it, or else on some hills it does it too. It just shudders and shakes the truck. The truck has 167k miles on it.
Is this the torque converter?

If so, am I better off just replaceing it or doing the hole tranny while I have it out?

How long can I drive it like this before it just quits moving?

I know I can't rebuild the tranny, but if I were to just replace the torque converter, can I do it my self?

And how much do you think it would cost to have a shop do all the work?
Thank in advance,
Lars

Old 04-07-2003, 10:22 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like torque shudder. For the model year and with a diesel, you are right in the profile to have this problem. You actually got some good mileage so you would probably be due for a rebuild anyway.

You can replace the TC yourself but if it has caused problems in the tranny, you will just have more problems and destroy the new TC to boot if you don't at least flush things out. I would not waste my money replacing just the TC or even doing a flush. With that many miles a rebuild would be wise. If you still insist on just replacing the TC I would guess about $500 for labor and about $100+ for the TC.

My tranny for a 94 F250 460 4WD cost about $2,300 to rebuild with all the uprated parts etc for towing applications.

I am not a tranny expert, so don't take my info as gospel.

Good Luck,

Old 04-07-2003, 05:22 PM
AggiePSD
Elder User

You'll need to put in a reprogramming kit to fix the shudder problem, or it will happen again. A couple hundred bucks or so I think (including labor).

Old 04-08-2003, 10:15 PM
jh1102
New User

I'm going through the same problem on my 94 f150 with 133000 miles on it. the torque converotr has gone bad. I took it to my transmission guy. He drained the fluid in the convertor and the tranny pan. Lots of fine metal in the pan. the shudder has translated into some damage to some of the parts in the transmission. Total cost for rebuild and reman torque convertor is about 1500.00 in Austin ,Texas. The longer you drive it the more potential damage can be done to the tranny.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:07 AM
GB
Junior User

I'm no authority, so take my comments for what they're worth I would agree with a previous post suggesting replacement/rebulid of converter AND tranny. If there has been a failure in one or the other, the entire system is likely to be contaminated, and the best solution (and least costly in the long run) is to redo everything. The rebuild cost of $1500 sounds about right to me. Depending on how long you plan to keep your truck, and how much $$ you can afford, you might take a look at Lentech: http://www.lentechautomatics.com/trans.htm

You'll pay more, but you'll get a tranny that's built the way we wish Ford would build them. Premium components, good mods, custom-tuned valve body, and so on. If and when I need a new one, I think I'll spend the extra $$ and get it done right. I have no personal connections with Lentech, but they come highly recommended by Gregg Evans who is a Ford tranny tech and builds/sells his own 4R100W trannys for the newer models ('97 and up). He is one smart dude.

Could it be possible that your problems are fuel system related? When you say "cruising along" how fast are you going?

Last edited by GB; 04-09-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:55 PM
motobub
Senior User

Thanks for all the replies. It doesn't do it in 1st or second gear, but in 3rd and 4th it does. It is when I am driving at a steady rate and low rpms, and then floor it. It just shudders, but the shuddering stops right when you take your foot out of it. $1500 doesn't sound real bad, my dad told me I was looking at about $2000-2500. But I just hope thats not the case.
Thanks again,
Lars

Old 04-11-2003, 12:51 AM
AggiePSD
Elder User

You only get converter lockup in 3rd and 4th under normal driving conditions, that is why it only does it in those gears. But it does sound like converter shudder, and that is a reasonable price for a rebuild. If you are going to go to the trouble of putting in a new converter and reprogramming kit, you might as well have it rebuilt with the major updates needed.

Old 04-11-2003, 06:18 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts

A common cause of torque converter shudder is old, worn out fluid. A complete fluid change will often eliminate the shudder.

There is an article in the tech articles that explains how to do it yourself. It was posted July 6, 2002.