1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for non-working Mercury Radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking for non-working Mercury Radio

I am looking for a Non working Mercury Radio (chrome face)... What is the going price? I no longer am running a 6 volt or vacuume style wipers so I will be building also adding a aftermarket radio... But like the look of the radio in the dash like my old '49 had... It doesn't matter if it's had water in it from an leaky or open cowl... or a mice/rat made it their home... or wires burned... Let me know what you think or if you have a idea where to find one? I don't have the money for a rebuilt one...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto , but certainly Moe get's first dibs

Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

brain75, you truck looks great...

Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
brain75
Elder User
Thanks much, yours has some smooth body lines to it. I bet that after paint your's will beat mine in a show any day. the PO hauled trash with mine and he scrubbed both fenders. I'm standing in front of the worst scratch hiding it in my pics. After 8 years of wrenchin and abuse (oil spill, gas spill), the paint is starting to not looks so whoopie.

Back on the radio, I am sure you have seen the $600 for a working restored, you see the guy who pops up on ebay occasionally asking $400 for a non-working (dirt inside the glass, pretty ugly lookin)? Personally I think the guy is bat-sh&(*-crazy asking that kinda money for "scrap metal" and a pitted face.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

the prices are coming down on ebay... I found 2 on Fleebay currently both are around $240 and $270. both are suppost to be restored... One of our fellow FTE found one at a swap meet for $5. Why can't I have that kind of luck!

Old 09-26-2011, 03:19 PM
brain75
Elder User
...beginning to think only you and I are reading this... I spent $150 on a modern HD/Ipod stereo with the works (head unit only), so to spend $150 on the dash chrome is just out of my "reasonable zone". I'm putting the HU in the glove box, and only want a radio in the dash to maintain the look (I too did dual electric wipers, so no clearance behind)

Since we are on the topic, I will ask you to double check my findings - looking for a 8MM990 right (1949 Mercury Car), 6 button, AM only, chrome radio.

I also came up with 8MM991 as part number for '49/50 Mercury Car (no description).

If a fellow FTE sees this, goes to a swap meet and finds one I would respond real quick to a PM, pay the shipping and send em $10 to buy a 6 pack (unless they wanted to come to Denver and then I'd buy em a drink at the bar).

Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

I only have the single wiper, passanger doesn't need to see... LOL... Sounds like were in the same boat.... I would love to find a great shape one that could be I could just hook right up and make work, but I can't afford a restored one..

To my research we are looking for(depending on if you want chrome or beige:
Zenith 8MM990 (Mercury), 8F90 (Ford)
Zenith 8MM991 (Mercury), 8F91 (Ford)

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM
agronomistont
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be able to find you a junker a friend of mine has scrape yard with a scholl bus full of radios but i wont be able to get there till late october send me a pm the only problem may be shipping from canada

Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Any one able to measure and weigh a Mercury radio?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,120 Likes on 821 Posts
Even the junkers used to pull a big buck on eBay but not any more. At least the last time I sold one I started bidding at $45 and that's what it sold for.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Even the junkers used to pull a big buck on eBay but not any more. At least the last time I sold one I started bidding at $45 and that's what it sold for.
Let me know if you find another one I like to have one

This is the style I want...

Borrowed pic from youngfordkid!

Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,120 Likes on 821 Posts
If you use the Merc radio you have to make Ford brackets for it. I made drawings of the brackets. Do a search and you'll find my posts with them.

I think I might be the guy who you mentioned in your original post with the $5 truck radio. Kind of funny story, I was at a swap meet and two guys were sitting on a little rise sucking beers. The only thing in their space was a couple of boxes of radios so I walked over and right away saw the truck radio. I asked, "How much?". "$5" was the answer. I used all the will power I had to act with as little interest as possible and casually fumbled around in my pocket for the $5, all the time wanting to do an end zone celebration. Of course the radio didn't work but physically it looked pretty good.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,691 Posts
If you use the Merc radio you have to make Ford brackets for it. I made drawings of the brackets. Do a search and you'll find my posts with them.

I think I might be the guy who you mentioned in your original post with the $5 truck radio. Kind of funny story, I was at a swap meet and two guys were sitting on a little rise sucking beers. The only thing in their space was a couple of boxes of radios so I walked over and right away saw the truck radio. I asked, "How much?". "$5" was the answer. I used all the will power I had to act with as little interest as possible and casually fumbled around in my pocket for the $5, all the time wanting to do an end zone celebration. Of course the radio didn't work but physically it looked pretty good.
Lol, I don't remember seeing you end zone celebration on here, I know you have the know how,lol
The radio's that were put in these trucks were obviously an option but were they options only for the top end trucks?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

I saved the drawing of the bracket. And yes that is the story I remember reading. Lucky Dog! I would have walked down a couple of spaces and done my end zone dance... All except the spiking... LOL

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,200 Likes on 2,691 Posts
Okay, another question, is there a difference between the Ford radio and the Mercury. I'm about to go up one of the bush roads here and I know where there is a 49 F1 left to rot, I'll check to see if there is anything worth while. It's a complete truck minus the hood and front axle.

Quick Reply: Looking for non-working Mercury Radio