Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 PM
New User

Kstar9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bent Turbo Fins?

Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying an '01 Powerstroke. The current owner had the turbo replaced at a local shop about a year ago. He tells me that 3k miles after, the turbo sucked in a piece off the air cleaner and bent some fins on the compressor wheel. So when the turbo spools it sounds like a wood planer. (I have audio if that helps.) If that were the case, is a compressor wheel swap a fairly easy job? Do I need special equipment or tools?

Thanks!

-Dave
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Non-smoker

7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
Swapping a compressor wheel is easy but there could be other issues there. The piece could've gotten caught in the intercooler or it could've made its way through the whole engine and done damage along its entire path. It could also be totally fine. It's kind of a crap shoot.

As far as the original question compressor wheels are quite easy to replace.
-Pete, PAA member #84
Old 09-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Posting Guru

Tailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud ofTailgate77478 has much to be proud of
Might want to look at the fins yourself to see if it truly was a debris issue, or if the fins started melting due to extreme exhaust temps.

Either way, not a good situation. If something smacked that compressor wheel, it didn't just "magically" find a way out. It could have done some much more serious damage to the engine than even dusting does.
HERS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
HIS: 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, T500, RR FrX, AutoMeter gauges, ELC, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat w Billet Housing, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, WW, AIH delete, KYB shocks, Hellwig swaybar, Melling LPOP, Bellowed Uppipes, Hutch Mod, EBPV Delete
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 AM
New User

Oh man... So what's the worst case scenario? New turbo, intercooler... completely new engine?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Postmaster

rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
Jim Jam Sanders
If say worst case is new turbo...the likelyhood of anything making it passed the intercooler is minimal at best.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat49f6 View Post
If say worst case is new turbo...the likelyhood of anything making it passed the intercooler is minimal at best.
X2 on this one.
If anything did get through it would be small enough, (and most likely just paper filter media) to fit through the intercooler.
That, in turn, would simply just fly through the engine without even being noticed.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Junior User

scottnchrissy is starting off with a positive reputation.
No real special tools needed. It is easiest with the turbo off. There is a guy on eBay selling compressor wheels and other used turbo parts fairly cheap. Great time to do some mods or maintenance while you have the turbo off.
Ford AIS, CCV vented at rear axle, FRx, HPx, 4" MBRP turbo back w/muffler, Boost and pyro guages, Riffraff boots, plenum reinforcements and 6x6 billet compressor wheel. Shell ELC, Ranger valve mod. To do, coolant and oil bypass filters.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 AM
New User

Is it possible to open up the intercooler and see if there is debris in it? I've been reading a little about the wicked wheel. Less than $100 for a better compressor wheel? I'll probably go with that.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
Clay (riffraff) has the wheels, and for the inspection of the IC, you'll need to remove it from the truck...

Wicked Wheel Install - YouTube
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
http://www.facebook.com/http://facebook.com/Kwikkordead#!/Kwikkordead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstar9 View Post
Is it possible to open up the intercooler and see if there is debris in it? I've been reading a little about the wicked wheel. Less than $100 for a better compressor wheel? I'll probably go with that.
That's what I did back in 2005, I think, and it is still running strong.
Recently pulled the Vantage, WA westbound grade without having to shift down, pulling my 14k 5th wheel.
I did have to turn off the AC for the pull.
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Tiptronic. ZZOOOOOMMMM!!!
You cannot explain or explain away the power of God.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Postmaster

rat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to beholdrat49f6 is a splendid one to behold
Jim Jam Sanders
No real way of opening the intercooler but I don't see, it really plugging much up
If you are really concerned get your self a 6.0 cooler our a mishimoto from clay
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Support FTE

PaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputationPaysonPSD has a superb reputation
If it sounds like a "wood planer" it might be making contact with the compressor housing. Wouldn't take too much scoring for it to lose efficiency even with a new wheel. You have to check the shaft for play and to see if it makes contact with housing. CHRA rebuild kit and balancing may be in order, not just replacing the comressor wheel.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 AM
New User

I have a feeling that's the problem, not the compressor wheel. So where do I get a rebuild kit? If that really is the problem, do I have to take the turbo to a professional shop where they can balance it?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Post Fiend

aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD View Post
If it sounds like a "wood planer" it might be making contact with the compressor housing. Wouldn't take too much scoring for it to lose efficiency even with a new wheel. You have to check the shaft for play and to see if it makes contact with housing. CHRA rebuild kit and balancing may be in order, not just replacing the comressor wheel.
I kinda worry about that. I'd figure on replacing the entire turbo as a write off and only IF the compression and leakdown test comes out right. It shouldn't be too difficult to do it with the spark plugs removed.
01 Excursion. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BDP Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear. 203* thermostat and billet housing
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM
New User

If the shaft is wearing on the housing I'd have to replace the whole turbo, right? How do you do a compression test? I've never even heard of a leakdown test. What is that?
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
250, 73, bearing, bent, damaged, fin, fins, ford, powerstroke, replace, surge, thrust, tp38, turbo, upgrade