Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Bent Turbo Fins? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1102133-bent-turbo-fins.html)

Kstar9 09-24-2011 11:14 PM

Bent Turbo Fins?

Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying an '01 Powerstroke. The current owner had the turbo replaced at a local shop about a year ago. He tells me that 3k miles after, the turbo sucked in a piece off the air cleaner and bent some fins on the compressor wheel. So when the turbo spools it sounds like a wood planer. (I have audio if that helps.) If that were the case, is a compressor wheel swap a fairly easy job? Do I need special equipment or tools?

Thanks!

-Dave

7.3 Rocket 09-24-2011 11:16 PM

Swapping a compressor wheel is easy but there could be other issues there. The piece could've gotten caught in the intercooler or it could've made its way through the whole engine and done damage along its entire path. It could also be totally fine. It's kind of a crap shoot.

As far as the original question compressor wheels are quite easy to replace.

Tailgate77478 09-24-2011 11:43 PM

Might want to look at the fins yourself to see if it truly was a debris issue, or if the fins started melting due to extreme exhaust temps.

Either way, not a good situation. If something smacked that compressor wheel, it didn't just "magically" find a way out. It could have done some much more serious damage to the engine than even dusting does.

Kstar9 09-25-2011 05:58 AM

Oh man... So what's the worst case scenario? New turbo, intercooler... completely new engine?

rat49f6 09-25-2011 09:19 AM

If say worst case is new turbo...the likelyhood of anything making it passed the intercooler is minimal at best.

Kwikkordead 09-25-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by rat49f6 (Post 10849065)
If say worst case is new turbo...the likelyhood of anything making it passed the intercooler is minimal at best.

X2 on this one.
If anything did get through it would be small enough, (and most likely just paper filter media) to fit through the intercooler.
That, in turn, would simply just fly through the engine without even being noticed.

scottnchrissy 09-25-2011 10:56 AM

No real special tools needed. It is easiest with the turbo off. There is a guy on eBay selling compressor wheels and other used turbo parts fairly cheap. Great time to do some mods or maintenance while you have the turbo off.

Kstar9 09-26-2011 01:08 AM

Is it possible to open up the intercooler and see if there is debris in it? I've been reading a little about the wicked wheel. Less than $100 for a better compressor wheel? I'll probably go with that.

timmyboy76 09-26-2011 01:14 AM

Clay (riffraff) has the wheels, and for the inspection of the IC, you'll need to remove it from the truck...

Wicked Wheel Install - YouTube

Kwikkordead 09-27-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kstar9 (Post 10851829)
Is it possible to open up the intercooler and see if there is debris in it? I've been reading a little about the wicked wheel. Less than $100 for a better compressor wheel? I'll probably go with that.

That's what I did back in 2005, I think, and it is still running strong.
Recently pulled the Vantage, WA westbound grade without having to shift down, pulling my 14k 5th wheel.
I did have to turn off the AC for the pull. :-X03

rat49f6 09-27-2011 09:28 AM

No real way of opening the intercooler but I don't see, it really plugging much up
If you are really concerned get your self a 6.0 cooler our a mishimoto from clay

PaysonPSD 09-27-2011 11:15 AM

If it sounds like a "wood planer" it might be making contact with the compressor housing. Wouldn't take too much scoring for it to lose efficiency even with a new wheel. You have to check the shaft for play and to see if it makes contact with housing. CHRA rebuild kit and balancing may be in order, not just replacing the comressor wheel.

Kstar9 09-29-2011 09:29 AM

I have a feeling that's the problem, not the compressor wheel. So where do I get a rebuild kit? If that really is the problem, do I have to take the turbo to a professional shop where they can balance it?

aklim 09-29-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 10856951)
If it sounds like a "wood planer" it might be making contact with the compressor housing. Wouldn't take too much scoring for it to lose efficiency even with a new wheel. You have to check the shaft for play and to see if it makes contact with housing. CHRA rebuild kit and balancing may be in order, not just replacing the comressor wheel.

I kinda worry about that. I'd figure on replacing the entire turbo as a write off and only IF the compression and leakdown test comes out right. It shouldn't be too difficult to do it with the spark plugs removed.

Kstar9 09-29-2011 11:54 AM

If the shaft is wearing on the housing I'd have to replace the whole turbo, right? How do you do a compression test? I've never even heard of a leakdown test. What is that?